should i sell my movies and 2 players ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-05-2008, 10:20 PM

should i sell my movies and 2 players ?

hi guys as much as i still love the hd dvd format the thruth is it is dead
i got 2 toshiba players here and almost 70 movies but im very uncertain if i should sell them

im from brazil and the format is not popular here and i ask mylself that maybe 10 years from now the players can stop working so i will be screwed

im almost using my ebay to selll everything
i would like to hear your opinion guys
what should i do ???
Old 10-05-2008, 10:24 PM

If you already have a primary and a backup player, I don't know why you'd want to sell your collection.

And what might happen 10 years from now shouldn't matter anyways because by then you'll probably have lost interest in pretty much all of the movies you have now, regardless of what format they're in.

I say keep it. But then again, I'm one of those crazy people who has been buying more HD DVDs since Toshiba surrendered.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM

I too love the HD format and have about 4 players, mostly as a backup. In my personal experience, the Toshiba devices are very hardy, as most machines made in Japan are. My old LD players are all still working, after all these years. It's likely that your Toshibas may continue to give you great service for years to come.

If you sell your players and HD dvds, you will do so at great loss. So here's my humble opinion ... just keep your two players and HD movies. Enjoy them . And if in a few years, your hd players give up on you, I am sure you will still be able to buy replacement players cheap on ebay.

Who knows, in 10 years' time, you would be enjoying your movies in some new format that may even be far better than bluray! At the rate that progress in being made in home theatre entertainment, it's likely that there will be something so much better in 10 years.

What do the rest of you folks think ?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 PM

keep them... it will cost more to sell them and rebuy

plus who knows when [studio here] will release a bluray version of some of the hd dvd exclusives and when they do it's possible the new bluray has been DNRed and ends up looking worse than the HD DVD
Old 10-05-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
I say keep it. But then again, I'm one of those crazy people who has been buying more HD DVDs since Toshiba surrendered.

haha ... me too !
Old 10-05-2008, 10:41 PM

Keep them. You won't get nearly as much for them as they are worth in entertainment value, and if you're concerned about the players wearing out, then just use them for HD DVD playback and use another player(s) for DVDs. Think about it, in several years, how often will you be using that player? Maybe once a month? With 70 movies, you could watch them all in just over a year if you only use the player once a week. Besides, even if you have terrible luck and both players wear out, you haven't lost much since you're not going to get a whole lot on ebay anyway and besides you could certainly buy another player should it come down to that. LD players are still very cheap on ebay...
Old 10-05-2008, 11:28 PM

Keep them!!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 AM

I'd agree to keeep them however...Whats the market like in Brazil? Maybe he can sell them for a huge profit. He says the formatt isn't popular there but what about availabilty? They aren't worth much in teh USA because there are so mnay of them available. If they are harder to come by in Brazil someone that wants a high def player and collection might pay alot of money.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:11 AM

Here's how I figure it:

I can keep all my HD DVD's and players and enjoy them for however many years or I can sell them for about $5-10/movie and ~$100/player (averaged out). Now if I was selling to re-buy on Blu-Ray, I'd have to spend ~$300 on a player plus ~$20/movie.

I decided to keep mine for a couple reasons. One, I may eventually re-buy all the movies on Blu anyways with the inevitable double-dip (aka second super-special-edition Blu-Ray release of a film). Or two, if my players crap out 5-10 years down the road - by then if Blu-Ray really takes off then I'll likely be able to buy a player for under $100 and the same movies I own on HD DVD (which will be catalog titles by then) for under $10.

Compared to losing $10 a movie replacing them with Blu's now, I can just re-buy them in the future and still be out ahead. I say ahead because due to inflation, $10 now is worth more than $10 5-10 years from now. There are downsides to this of course:
1) The players won't be getting any faster/newer/bells+whistles/etc. (unless of course Toshiba release a Blu-Ray player with HD DVD support, aka a combo player but it seems that is much more unlikely by the day) and the discs won't play on any Blu-Ray players I own now or buy in the future (ETA: excluding the LG BH100, LG BH200, and Samsung UP5000).
2) May be inconvenient to have two separate players (one for HD, one for BR)
3) People can't borrow my movies to watch on their Blu-Ray players, unless of course they want to watch the SD side on some of my combo discs.
4) I won't be able to trade/sell them (although I can't really trade them or sell them for much now, I highly doubt any of mine will appreciate in value and will likely only depreciate further - but that's fine by me).

Overall, I say hold onto them - by the time both your players are KIA, you could probably get a Blu-Ray player and replace your library for less than doing it all right now. Plus, it's a nuisance to list/sell/ship everything, eBay taking it's cut, etc. Of course, like many have mentioned, there should still be a market on eBay if you want to buy another player once both of your players go out, however long that may be.

In summary, I vote to keep them - if Blu-Ray truly does become the next DVD - then players and currently-released media will be quite cheap in 5-10 years time. Not to mention, the players will be better, the discs may be on second or third dips with even more extras etc., and who knows - maybe the successor will be the horizon (2k, 4k, who knows?). Unless of course you hate all 70 of your movies and both of your players and really want a PS3 and only Blu-Ray exclusive movies, but I have a feeling that's not the case .
Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglalien View Post
I'd agree to keeep them however...Whats the market like in Brazil? Maybe he can sell them for a huge profit. He says the formatt isn't popular there but what about availabilty? They aren't worth much in teh USA because there are so mnay of them available. If they are harder to come by in Brazil someone that wants a high def player and collection might pay alot of money.
I didn't think of this but it's a good point/question to raise.