Survey - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 AM

Default Survey

Hello HD DVD ppl

I am writing report on the blu-ray hd dvd war. Really appreciate if you can give input on that by filling out this suvey

http://survey.constantcontact.com/su...fg5c3315/start

Thanks alot
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 AM

I took the survey.

Some comments about the questions:

I think the survey assumed that people adapted only one format. There weren't really questions for dual format owners and it seemed that if you had HD DVD you weren't supposed to have Blu-ray as well and vice versa.

Also the questioning about technology differences was too limited, the only comparison was "which format had more capacity" while there could have been more questions as disc capacity is just one factor in the technology differences.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 AM

Have to agree with you Kannisto. This seemed more like a "If you haven't bought Blu yet and you bought HD what were you thinking" survey. There was nothing about Profiles, nothing about HDi vs Java (Java is what makes me despise BD so far), nothing about mandatory specs vs non mandatory etc.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM

Survey is way too biased to be of any value.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:05 AM

Took it, but agree it was biased... what the hell did capacity matter?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 PM

I didn't finish it. I might go back and try it later.

If capacity mattered the TL51 would have been pushed hard

There should be a question about compatibility and concerns about future incompatibility. Play a new Disney Bly (like "the Lion, Witch and wardrobe") first message you'll see is a warning about playback and possible incompatibility of the blu player.
This means there is a big enough problem to warrant Disney putting a disclaimer at the start of the disc. It is embarrassing enough to have this problem be prevalent but to then have to advertise this shortcoming is a scandal.
Updating a blu players in not like updating a HD players, it is a unnecessary headache when all you wanted to do was watch a movie.
I think Firmware updates were a failing of both formats. People know when they buy a dvd player they are good to go, for the life of the machine. They buy a HD/blu player they are constantly imposed upon to update the player, which can be a delicate procedure, one screw up, power failure, bad CD and they've bricked a $200-300 investment.

I agree HDi and Java should have been addressed.

A question about AQ is needed, PQ is assumed, AQ is a variable. It could prove interesting if AQ influenced purchasing. Especially since there is a very slim minority who can take full advantage of HD AQ.

Dual format owner questions are need. For instance if you own both and there as a release on both formats which did you prefer? which did you buy? Did combo disks deter purchases? did prices? Did play back issues influence buying decisions?

Probably be next year before somebody more serious about evaluating the format war will actually start asking introspective questions.
Among them should be the question about upconverting dvd players and availability of HDM from cable and satellite. The formats did not exist in a vacuum the availability of alternative HDM sources may have affected the adoption of disced formats as well as PiQ of dvd upconverted.

If questions are being asked in the here and now then the question of why VHS players are outselling HDM players needs to be addressed.

This time next year the powers that be may be scratching their heads wondering why Blu didn't take off. The answer to that may be did anyone ask for or demand HDM? OR HD for that mater, HD broadcast and TVs have been mandated by CEs and governmental writ, contrary to how things usually go with public adoption.

The studio are intent upon meeting their demand, not the publics. A studio command for something to milk more profits from.
In the end if disked HDM does not take off (or even if it does) the question will be "why?"
Questions addressing the attitudes of consumers now could be instrumental in understanding this. Instead of rubber stamped BDA/Digital Bits propaganda talking points.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:55 AM

I really appreciat the feedback, thanks alot. Those are all valid points and I agree that there is quite a lot missing in the survey specially on the technical side. and for an indepth analysis this survey probably would not be a very good tool. But what we are trying to get out of this survey is one, that the people who went with HD DVD why they went with HD DVD or people who went with Blu-ray why they went with that and second the people who went with HD DVD were they satisfied and people who went with blu-ray were they satisfied this would lead to what drived more sales of blu-ray drives from mid 07 to 08.

Can you please elaborate on the HDi vs Java part and how that effects the regualr customer. and also about the mandatory specs vs non mandatory.I would really like to increase my knowledge about these.

I find it strange that the survey seems biased because there are similar questions for HD DVD and blu-ray and if some went with both he/she can fill out both sections. I think I should take the survey my self as well