I just sat down to watch my first HD DVD and... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-27-2008, 03:48 PM

I just sat down to watch my first HD DVD and...

Wow. I've had my HD DVD add on for my 360 since last week, and I haven't had an opportunity until today to really sit down and watch a film. I decided for my first HD DVD watching experience, I'd put in something I've never seen. So I got about 8 minutes into Zodiac when I realized that there are some things HD DVD has done better. 8 minutes in, and I'm impressed to a point that I didn't think was possible after watching Blu-Ray movies.

You see, I thought the only difference between the formats was in the technicalities (50 GB on a dual layer verses 51 GB on a triple layer, etc). But with both my PS3 and 360 hooked up identically via HDMI, I've already noticed a deeper black in Zodiac that doesn't wash out, and sharper images. Maybe it's my PS3 settings, or maybe it's just the HD DVD was mastered better. Whatever it is, I'm hoping I can stop admiring the picture quality long enough to enjoy the film.

-Amen
Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 PM

And the 360 add-on isn't exactly loved as far as HD DVD players are concerned.

Zodiac is probably my favorite HD DVD title, BTW.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM

Congratulations on the HD DVD purchase. The Xbox HD DVD add-on was also my 1st HD player.

I was blown away by HD DVD from the moment I watched my first movie, King Kong. Over the past 2 years I have purchased a few dozen movies that I re-visit from time to time. Enjoy your HD DVD purchase, there are over 800 titles worlwide to keep you entertained.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:47 PM

Zodiac was an awesome movie!

Out of curiosity, what is the complaint against the HD DVD add-on? I'd have no problems buying a stand-alone HD DVD player if the differences in picture quality are significant. It is worth noting though that I'm not exactly a videophile that likes to analyze the differences from pixel to pixel. I just know that HD looks better than no HD.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the complaint against the HD DVD add-on?
For me it was the limited audio capabilities. Also the 360 is one loud machine, lots of fan noise.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:56 PM

Zodiac is one sharp film. The lighting and details really add to the experience. It is one of my favorites as well.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
For me it was the limited audio capabilities. Also the 360 is one loud machine, lots of fan noise.
i have one of the first Elites that came out last year and its not that much louder than my PS3. and if i'm watching a movie in the HD drive i can't hear it at all.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the complaint against the HD DVD add-on?
No lossless audio.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM

how much better is lossless audio? I have never heard lossless audio before, is it really that good?

using the hd dvd addon with a xbox 360 is loud, just put on a pair of headphones and you can no longer hear the xbox
Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcblob View Post
how much better is lossless audio? I have never heard lossless audio before, is it really that good?
That discussion is a can of worms. Some people find little to no difference in a well treated/designed room with $65k worth of speakers. Other people (like on this forum for example) claim to easily tell the difference. I'd suggest downloading Foobar2000 and using the testing feature. You can see for yourself how bitrates can affect discernable sound.