Do You Think HD-DVD Will Become Collectible? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Default Do You Think HD-DVD Will Become Collectible?

It's sad to think that such a great format, at such an reasonable price-point, ended up being the loser in the end.

With that said, what do you guys think the likelihood that HD-DVD content, and possibly the players, will end up becoming highly sought-after collectors items? I mean, it has all of the trademarks on becoming collectible in the not-too-distant future, I think.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 PM

some of the discs maybe but most of them are overproduced. the band of brothers set will be worth something, same with equilibrium import and a few other limited releases
Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 PM

Not likely.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 AM

Doubtful. I am keeping all of mine because there will be no upgrade with blu. I think the Star Trek set could be collectible since everything Trek is but not much more than that.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 AM

Depends on what titles get put on BR. Maybe some hd-dvd titles will never see BR for no good reason.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:29 PM

I don't know...it's hard to say. As someone else stated: It all depends what gets released on Blu-ray and what doesn't.

I'd say certain titles, especially imports, will become collectible in a year or two (i.e. Pan's Labyrinth), but I really don't see much turning into "collector's items".

Just my two cents on the matter.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:54 AM

Everything has the potential of being a collectable. All you need is a group of avid enthusiasts who are collectors. I'm one of those, and I know a number of other people who are. There are quite a few titles on HD DVD that I would be in the market for as a collector but they would need to be in pristine condition, unopened, and be a few years from now when they are much harder to get. Until then I would suggest holding on to what you have, especially if any are unopened, and then start looking around for collectors in a few years.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:09 PM

There should be a few isolated instances of good value but I don't have a clue how to figure out which ones are going to be valuable until after it happens. I knew some limited edition Disney DVD's would be collectible and purchased them before the price went up. I see nothing with HD DVD that is obvious to me. The good titles will be released on Blu-ray is my guess and that makes those HD DVD's essentially worthless.

You might have noticed that most DVD's and most CD's are practically worthless now and people own players for those formats. The disc will need to be rare, desirable and not on Blu-ray is how I see it and I can't tell you which titles will meet that criteria today. Possibly none.

Chris
Old 04-02-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
There should be a few isolated instances of good value but I don't have a clue how to figure out which ones are going to be valuable until after it happens. I knew some limited edition Disney DVD's would be collectible and purchased them before the price went up. I see nothing with HD DVD that is obvious to me. The good titles will be released on Blu-ray is my guess and that makes those HD DVD's essentially worthless.

You might have noticed that most DVD's and most CD's are practically worthless now and people own players for those formats. The disc will need to be rare, desirable and not on Blu-ray is how I see it and I can't tell you which titles will meet that criteria today. Possibly none.

Chris
There are many HD DVD titles already available on Blu-ray and they are not 'worthless'. Actually, the movies available on Blu-ray are selling for about the same price as those exclusive to HD DVD, so no correlation exists in that regard that I can see. The simple facts are that the HD DVD version are essentially just as good so it's not like comparing DVD or laserdisc as those formats are truly technically obsolete, while HD DVD will only be technically obsolete when the next format comes along to replace Blu-ray. 1080p is 1080p.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
There are many HD DVD titles already available on Blu-ray and they are not 'worthless'. Actually, the movies available on Blu-ray are selling for about the same price as those exclusive to HD DVD, so no correlation exists in that regard that I can see. The simple facts are that the HD DVD version are essentially just as good so it's not like comparing DVD or laserdisc as those formats are truly technically obsolete, while HD DVD will only be technically obsolete when the next format comes along to replace Blu-ray. 1080p is 1080p.
I am talking about the future. Right now, there isn't usually a big discount for the HD DVD version when both are available. In three years, I expect any HD DVD title also available on Blu-ray to be worth very little. In discussing collectible, I assume the issue is future value. I believe now is the best time to sell if you are seller and waiting will be best if you are a buyer interested in buying used HD DVD's. Of course some 8-track tapes are worth some money these days, that is rare, most 8-Track tapes seen at garage sales and thrift shops are worth very little. I have no reason to believe the future will find HD DVD titles worth much. CD's, DVD's, VHS tapes, or LP's for the most part are worth very little. With all of these formats, there are rare exceptions and when I see I own one of those rare exceptions, I list it on eBay.

To anybody planning on buying HD DVD's now for future value, good luck!

Chris