$500 HD-A1 and Proud - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Default $500 HD-A1 and Proud

I Payed $500 for my HD-A1. 3 Free by mail. I Enjoy every moment. and with 20/20 hindsight I can't say I'd change that purchase. I would have talked more of my friends into buying. I Would have called EVERY bestbuy,circutcity........Employee on there BS every time I Heard it Rather than biting my Tounge. It could have and should have ended different.

Beta Dead From Natural Causes.
vhs Dead From Natural Causes.
8 track Dead From Natural Causes.
35 mm Dead From Natural Causes.
LP'S Dead From Natural Causes.
HDDVD Killed In infancy.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyphod View Post
I Payed $500 for my HD-A1. 3 Free by mail. I Enjoy every moment. and with 20/20 hindsight I can't say I'd change that purchase. I would have talked more of my friends into buying. I Would have called EVERY bestbuy,circutcity........Employee on there BS every time I Heard it Rather than biting my Tounge. It could have and should have ended different.

Beta Dead From Natural Causes.
vhs Dead From Natural Causes.
8 track Dead From Natural Causes.
35 mm Dead From Natural Causes.
LP'S Dead From Natural Causes.
HDDVD Killed In infancy.
I bought the X-A1, hey I like the door. That machine loads slower than my A35 but I think it was an excellent investment. It was north of $500 but well worth it. Almost two years of hi-def movies on what was the better format over those two years. Oh well, I suppose I will drop about the same on the upcoming Panny BD player.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:02 PM

Amen to that, I wouldn't trade my small family of HD DVD players for the world. I've made a sizeable investment, one which I still enjoy, and to this day I think it was money well spent.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:54 PM

Same here -- a very early adopter. I purchased my A1 (I now also own the XA2) only six months after the format was introduced and the damn thing has yet to give me a single hiccough. Seriously, the machine is built like a rock. I don't regret a single thing -- I'm a proud owner and will continue to buy more titles until Uni/Para/Warner stop releasing.

And just for the record, I still own a large collection of VHS tapes (hard to find titles, yet to be released on DVD -- mostly horror movies and music videos ), a huge selection of cassette tapes, and over two hundred LP records, which I still enjoy on 2-channel stereo. I've seen many changes and don't regret a single one of my decisions.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 AM

My A1 brought me plenty of value for my money. A lot more value than the $1000 and $600 I spend on early HDTV Directv and Antenna receivers. Those literally are now doorstops. My HD DVD player will be used for many years to come, much like my SACD and DVD-Audio players.

In fact, I just ordered the A30, which will be my fourth HD DVD player purchased (I gave my A1 to a friend, and I am replacing my Add-on now with a real player). I now use an A35 where I used to use the A1.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:44 AM

Bought my A1 on clearance for the same price. Hasn't let me down to this day.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:54 AM

I was about to pick up the A35 but I stoped for a moment and thought about the x2. but can't find one. The main reason is for the upscalling. Is the a35 near as good as the X2?
Old 02-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
I was about to pick up the A35 but I stoped for a moment and thought about the x2. but can't find one. The main reason is for the upscalling. Is the a35 near as good as the X2?
I can't compare it to the XA2, since I don't have it. However I am very happy with the upscaling on my A35.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:52 AM

A35 upscaling is excellent.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post
A35 upscaling is excellent.
I'd say its very good. But I've compared it to the XA2's Reon upscaling + deinterlacing and its nowhere close with some SD material. The Reon honestly is in a whole different league for overall SD DVD quality IMO.