I always make the "wrong" choices... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM

Default I always make the "wrong" choices...

I knew Blu-ray was the favourite in this race. Still, I chose HD DVD. That may sound strange but there are several reasons to my choice. First of all, HD DVD had more movies that interested me from the beginning. The Pianist was the first one. Second, Iīve never been a fan of Sony and I thought that it could serve us movie lovers well with a movie industry NOT dominated by Sony during the new HD era.

To be honest, Iīve never cared about predictions on whoīs going to win when I make my decisions. I bought the Sega Saturn. I bought the Sega Dreamcast. And I decided to support the HD DVD format. I thought that HD movies would get into peopleīs homes quicker with this format, partly due to the lower production costs. It upset me that a lot of people favored Blu-ray and called it "superior" when this obviously wasnīt the case. I think the two competing HD formats delivers basically the same quality. HD DVD is a complete format, though, ready to go from the very beginning. That is a great advantage.

And I really like the dark red boxes. Blue just doesnīt work...

I soon realized HD DVD probably wouldnīt win this war so I started to get used to the idea of two existing HD formats for many years to come. Blu-ray watch catching up with a lot of interesting movies as well, not least the Die Hard series, so I felt "why not?". And then came the shock of Jan 4th...
Old 01-31-2008, 03:57 PM

Usually in this type of situation I would wait it out, seeing which format would come out on top. But the price and deal that i got for the A30 was just too good to pass up. $150 for the player along with 8 free movies.5 mail in, plus the 2 free with the player, and there was a buy one get one free sale. Essentially I paid $180 dollars for all that. The cost of a blu ray player is what, $400? PS3 is a load of crap so I wouldn't even consider that train wreck. A worthless console that is now justifiable by those who purchased it since Blu Ray is doing better. I could use all the money that I saved from buying an HD player and purchase more movies which is less than the price of the blu ray player alone.

It stuns me that people who piss and moan about gas prices being too high and the need for cheaper items would be willing to spend more money on technology which is in my view inferior to HD DVD. I just don't get it.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:45 PM

I did wait a bit before I purchased the Xbox 360 - but that was just due to lack of money. Usually I donīt wait because I want new technology right here, right now. Donīt we all? The funny, or not so funny, thing is that itīs never smart to buy a product right when itīs launched. Itīs more expensive and usually the latter versions are slightly improved (as with the 360). But thatīs the price we have to pay if we want new technology early. My 360 still works, so I shouldnīt complain, I guess...
Old 02-02-2008, 07:09 PM

There's something innately satisfying about rooting for the underdog, however. Most screenplay writers recognize this, funnily enough.