Why I went HD DVD? AND how it changed my life... Literally. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Why I went HD DVD? AND how it changed my life... Literally.

I had a great conversation with my father DAYS before HD DVD was released in April 2006.

He was listening to the radio on his way home from work and called me. Knowing that I was the proud owner of over 800 DVD's he asked me which side I was going to choose? He was well aware that HD DVD was to hit the market first (before blu-ray, which would come at SOME point in the future) and wanted to know if I was going to pick it up.

My answer: "No way. I own too many DVD's to start over now, There really is no way that I would do that."

See I had been following the HDM war since before it had a name. I am a longtime reader of AVS and a DVD reviewer to boot, I simply didn't understand what all the HYPE was about?

I love my media and I have a pretty firm grasp of where it was headed and when the debates began to rage in 2005 about two separate formats I wanted NO part of it...

After I returned home from my business trip, I made another trip of sorts to my local Best Buy. There it was in front of me. Playing the early DEMO disk we all loved to hate in April 2006, was HD DVD the beloved TANK: HD-A1.

It was GLORIOUS!!! I was smitten right away. There was NO WAY I could leave the store at that point without it. As I searched around for an employee to ask where to pick one up. I began to tell him about the "war" that was going to unfold in the next year.

First it started with one employee, then two, then three and shortly thereafter about ten employees where gathered listening. Low-and-behold one of those employees was the General Manager of the store. Explaining to them the current (of as far as we knew, current) differences between the formats and what it all would mean, or wouldn't mean.

As I was making my purchase he came up to me and asked me what my career was and how much money I made... He certainly wasn't shy. I told him I was a banker and he told me I was in the wrong field (he was certainly sure of himself). He offered me an interview.

I accepted and have worked at Best Buy since mid-2006. I have been an avid HD DVD fanatic since and I have recently purchased a Blu-ray player (I had the means so why not?)

I look back and believe that my first instinct was the right one. HD DVD is by far my favorite format in this war and I am loving every minute of it... So you see HD DVD didn't simply give me a new reason to watch my favorite movies again.

How many people can actually say that HD DVD gave them a new career path? Or an entirely new life? I am thankful everyday for HD DVD in that way. Without it I would still be miserable sitting in a bank somewhere... Perhaps that is why I have such a connection with it.

... What will we do when the war is over??? Truely? Where will we go to bitch about anything and everything?? I have been up to this for 2 years now, where do we go from here?

... Perhaps I will watch a movie.

Cheers... Happy New Year!! 2008 The year the war took a turn.

Last edited by Super_ME; 12-31-2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:56 AM

Wow........
Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 AM

Wow.. what, I know it sounds crazy but it is sorta my "love story" to how I got to where I am today.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_ME View Post
Wow.. Bad? Wow.. Good? Or simply... Wow

is that a World Of Warcraft reference?

No,it's just an amazing story thats all.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:02 AM

<~ Format Neutral

But....

HD-DVD is my preference and has always been my first choice. I liked the price, user friendlyness and the steadfast reliable *fixed* standard.

HD-DVD has changed my outlook and my cinema experiences.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
No,it's just an amazing story thats all.
Thank you so much. I appreciate your kind words!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDMAN View Post
<~ Format Neutral

But....

HD-DVD is my preference and has always been my first choice. I liked the price, user friendlyness and the steadfast reliable *fixed* standard.

HD-DVD has changed my outlook and my cinema experiences.
As I am now neutral as well, I agree it is my first preference and my hope to succeed... Or my story may hold less merit and meaning.. It won't have that "WOW" factor.

I will have to add a chapter that states:

"I got a job because of a failed format."

That doesn't have that "love story" ring to it

Star Crossed Lovers perhaps
Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 PM

Great story, sometimes I wonder if I should be making a career change. What's your position at BB?
Old 12-31-2007, 03:44 PM

We all know you only took the job for the employee discounts.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
Great story, sometimes I wonder if I should be making a career change. What's your position at BB?
Customer Assistant Supervisor. On the cusp of management.

And yes, I realized (as a banker) most of my income went to Best Buy so why not work there!

Last edited by Super_ME; 12-31-2007 at 09:31 PM.