Hi Def DVD players under $100 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Hi Def DVD players under $100

I waited a few years for the Hi Def 16 x 9 Digital Tvs to drop well below $2000,, should I wait till Xmas of '09 for Hi Def Players to be under $100. ??

That'll give me over a year to watch and appreciate my 480I images currently on my New Sony 46in LCD, of which I totally appreciate each and every viewing from my 500 plus collection. of which I own No Hi def movies (at this point in time.) My first buy will probably be 2001: A Space Odyssey., which would then make that title and that title alone number .. 6 (editions) .
But the big push for hi-def players will be the release of the Star Wars series.,
and it only took poor ol' George 8 years to get his collection to DVD,,
will it be another 5 years for Blu ray or Hi Def Star Wars films to go this route?

I'll be in line waiting..
Old 12-14-2007, 03:00 PM

Well you could have had the HD-A2 for $99 bucks during the big sale a couple weeks ago. If you shop around you may be able to find one of those. The A3 can be had for not much more with tons of free movies.

I agree the Star Wars series would be a huge release, but I wouldnt expect to see this on HDM for a while. It took ages for it to come out on DVD.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:10 PM

I did hear about that sale.., But I believe the current 'sale price' these days are around $299 .. less or free if you buy a certain amount of Hardware from dealers..,

But I guess I was pointing out that I have gone from scraps (analog TV)to sitting at the table (LCD widescreen 480i) until I will be at the head of the table.. Bluray or HD 1080p...

Old 12-14-2007, 03:46 PM

I would watch which route Spielberg's movies takes. Lucas and Spielberg are lifelong friends and one tends to follow the other.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 PM

The way I see it there is no reason someone should only own Blu-Ray when HD-DvD is just so damn cheap. Why not have the best of both worlds. I decided to go with Hd-DvD first due to the low price and as soon as blu-ray players are decent I'll get one of those. I need to see Ratatouille in hd.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widescreen Forever View Post
I did hear about that sale.., But I believe the current 'sale price' these days are around $299 .. less or free if you buy a certain amount of Hardware from dealers..,

But I guess I was pointing out that I have gone from scraps (analog TV)to sitting at the table (LCD widescreen 480i) until I will be at the head of the table.. Bluray or HD 1080p...

You could have had the HD-A3 for $298 with 12 free HD DVD's recently.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:23 PM

Blu Ray is not dropping below $400 anytime soon it seems. HD DVD will continue to sell more players while Blu Ray remains dependent on PS3. Let's be honest here I am willing to bet that a good percentage of PS3 purchases are for children that don't care about movies. I used to work at Blockbuster when the PS2 debuted and do you think many customers used it as a DVD player? Absolutely not. The bottom line is if Blu Ray is going to even come close to the number of stand alone players that HD DVD has sold they are going to have to do lower the price by at least half and knowing Sony that won't happen anytime soon.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:36 PM

This is a hard question to answer... 90% of the time I think it's worth the money and would recommend upgrading to HiDef, 10% of the time I would tell you to wait.

The obvious benefit of buying now is you get to enjoy movies in HD now.

The downside of buying now is that prices are falling so you will pay more now than later, unless your happy with only 50% of the movies you really need to buy both formats, it's possible you may buy a player and if that format loses and you will end up having to buy the other formats player, and lastly that the players are getting quicker and better with each new generation.

I love HD and the prices are cheap now compared to what I paid. You can usually get an A3 HD DVD player for about $200 with free movies on Amazon or you can get a Samsung Blu-ray player for about $270. It's not $100 but it's a lot better than the $500 many of us paid a year ago.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeHd View Post
The way I see it there is no reason someone should only own Blu-Ray when HD-DvD is just so damn cheap. Why not have the best of both worlds. I decided to go with Hd-DvD first due to the low price and as soon as blu-ray players are decent I'll get one of those. I need to see Ratatouille in hd.
I agree 100% I did the same thing.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widescreen Forever View Post
I waited a few years for the Hi Def 16 x 9 Digital Tvs to drop well below $2000,, should I wait till Xmas of '09 for Hi Def Players to be under $100. ??

That'll give me over a year to watch and appreciate my 480I images currently on my New Sony 46in LCD, of which I totally appreciate each and every viewing from my 500 plus collection. of which I own No Hi def movies (at this point in time.) My first buy will probably be 2001: A Space Odyssey., which would then make that title and that title alone number .. 6 (editions) .
But the big push for hi-def players will be the release of the Star Wars series.,
and it only took poor ol' George 8 years to get his collection to DVD,,
will it be another 5 years for Blu ray or Hi Def Star Wars films to go this route?

I'll be in line waiting..

If you're going to wait this one out, get yourself a good upsampling DVD player like one of the Oppo models (cheap and good - best of both worlds) and enjoy your current DVD colletion in better than SD picture quality.