The real J6P - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-30-2007, 12:32 PM

Default The real J6P

Guess what? My name is actually Joe!!! Not much for six packs, just a few Sam Adams Winter beers a year, and maybe a local microbrew dark beer once in a while. Anyway, here is my story:

Let me say this: There is obviously a difference in the red and blue crowd in terms of affordability. Blue crowd seems to have far more expendable income. They buy more expensive players, and can afford huge numbers of films (my god, how many of them already own over 100 movies!!!). I went red on Wally Worlds A2 deal. Yea, $98 was BARELY in my affordable category. I am THRILLED to have a piece of hardware that originally retailed at over $400. People who scoff at its build quality are just plain wrong, its a nice solid player, one of the nicest things I have ever owned. As for movies, I bought one (12 Monkeys) when I got the player (at $14.96) and then a week later picked up Batman Begins (at $18.96, also from Walmart). I just got Children of Men and 2001: A Space Odyssey as birthday presents. I eagerly await the arrival of my 5 free movies in the mail-in offer.

I am a 49 year old husband with 2 teenagers, one entering college next year. The wife and I combine for about 90k worth of annual income here in the Baltimore MD area. You have to understand how difficult it is to get enough money together to even go out to dinner once a month! Buying the A2 was a MAJOR purchase for me, and I even felt guilty about buying it, when we have to save for college and pay off lots of other bills. I will not be buying 100 HD DVD's within the next month, I may not buy 100 HD DVD's within the next 5 years! But I have a few, I love them, and they are great for me. I have saved up $200 from birthday and other holiday gifts I have received. I was going to use that on some new speakers, but now I am considering trying to do my part for HD DVD by spending it on movies instead. Next time there is a BOGO or even a B2GO deal at Amazon I will probably go 'crazy' with my little wad of cash.

Blu-ray never has given me this opportunity, and if they win this war soon, they will not lower their player prices enough for me to get involved any time in the next 5 years, you can count on that.

So, there is a typical red owner for you. Does that contrast with the 'cash-plenty' blues enough to maybe understand why the ratios are so lopsided right now, with the market still saturated with rich early adopters? More mainstream reds are just entering the market now, they will buy discs in more moderate quantities, so ratios are not going to suddenly flop red in days, it will take lots of time. I can only hope the likes of Warner, Universal, and Paramount understand this too.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:00 PM

Glad to see another Red,I went Red a while ago and im very happy.I also got a HD DVD for my Father he seems to be loving it.And I see you got Teens they would want Disney now would they ?lol
Old 11-30-2007, 01:05 PM

You eagerly await your 5 free in the mail? You're gonna be waiting a while...minimum is about 2 1/2 months buddy.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:13 PM

I agree with you. I have been told by some blubois that I should have sacrificed enough of my HD collection to have instead bought a BD player. I mean, give me a break! Say $20 per movie, I would have to sacrifice 25 movies for a BD player. Granted there are about 25 LESS titles on BD that I have any interest in than HD, but that would also have left me without Heroes, BSG, Transformers to name a few. Don't get me wrong, I love Disney movies particularly the Pixar titles, but give me a break! I can't justify spending 2 to 4 times the amount on a BD player especially after upgrading my receiver to something that can handle HDMI.

Grats on going red, btw!
Old 11-30-2007, 01:55 PM

Welcome to the red side and an excellent first post. Watch out for all the special offers for movies.Check the Warner site for good deals, you can normaly get regular movies for $15 out the door. You just need the monthly code.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
You eagerly await your 5 free in the mail? You're gonna be waiting a while...minimum is about 2 1/2 months buddy.
Yes, buddy, I know that. That's fine with me, they are free anyway. I have my other discs to watch, and a few more I will purchase in the meantime. Can't wait for Timecop!!!