Why I went HD instead of Blu Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Why I went HD instead of Blu Ray

It's all about money.

During the start of the summer, I broke 2 bones in my foot. Fast forward to Late July, Early August, I received a note in my mail box from the hospital and my insurance company that my crap insurance was NOT covering my injuries (which i later appealed, waiting to hear from them now...). KNowing that I would have to pay off over $7000 in Hospital bills, I made the choice to jump HD DVD right there and then only because the 360 player was dirt cheap and it was probably all I could afford at the moment -- and I don't regret doing it. I love my HD DVD player and I'm glad I made the choice when I did!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:43 AM

Makes sense. Congratulations.

Sorry to hear about your foot.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 PM

good choice
Old 09-25-2007, 01:18 AM

It made the most sense to me...same PQ and AQ with a significantly lower entry cost for the A2 player. As a former blue-ray Smurf on paper I just could not see the advantage spending $300 or more just to get started and see no real world difference. I see blue-ray having that as a major issue for many if not most HD adopters who've already spent a fortune on the HDTV's like myself and just can't justify the additional $$$ for blue-ray when I can get HD-DVD and a ton a HD-DVD movies for the same cost.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK6411 View Post
It made the most sense to me...same PQ and AQ with a significantly lower entry cost for the A2 player. As a former blue-ray Smurf on paper I just could not see the advantage spending $300 or more just to get started and see no real world difference. I see blue-ray having that as a major issue for many if not most HD adopters who've already spent a fortune on the HDTV's like myself and just can't justify the additional $$$ for blue-ray when I can get HD-DVD and a ton a HD-DVD movies for the same cost.
$40 for the transformers hd-dvd..... Not too cheap.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:05 AM

where are you buying transformers for $40?

Walmart has it for 27.95

Print it out from their site and take it to BestBuy for pricematch
Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 AM

Gratz and welcome to the Red side.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:47 AM

I liked the titles that were released in HD DVD and player pricing. And I paid $15 for my copy of Transformers. Also the fact that I this format isn't region coded. Found the Fantastic Four movies off of Amazon.de

cool
Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 AM

Price was the deciding factor for me too. A quality, brand-name HD player for under $200? I wrestled with the idea of buying it for a few days before I finally caved in. "What's the point of having an HD TV without an HD DVD player?!?"

Seeing "SW: Episode 3" on HBO in HD the other day pretty much sealed the deal that I HAVE TO SEE MOVIES IN HD from now on.

Surprisingly, the girlfriend, who usually rolls her eyes at my purchases, is excited about seeing the movies I bought at CC the other day, probably cause I was all giddy like a kid when I showed her the boxes. My A2 is supposed to be here tomorrow, but we all know that "estimated delivery date" is 50/50.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 PM

I went with HD DVD because the 360 player can be plugged into my pc, meaning I don't have to update my dvd drive and can still enjoy the faster burning speeds which the blu ray drives don't offer yet.
One thing that I don't understand is why on earth there has to be region coding on the bluray, the signals are all digital anyway, what's the point?
I can also put it back in the box when i'm not using it, saving space.
Coupled with my 24" 1080P capable monitor and X-fi soundcard I couldn't be happier.
Bought Chronicles of Riddick with it as the reviews told me the video quality was amazing....they weren't kidding=p~.
So far, I should have Dawn of the Dead, Transformers and Pitch Black arriving tomorrow, and then buying the matrix trilogy when I have the money, trying to focus on the best quality encodings to convince my friends.