Going back to HD DVD ONLY - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Angry Going back to HD DVD ONLY

Well, I gave Blu-ray a chance, and I'm done with it. Selling my PS3 and the couple of BD titles I bought, and going back to just enjoying my XA1 and HD DVD movies.

I've had HD DVD since May 2006. In the 'dark days' this Spring I decided I should go dual format to enjoy Blu-ray as well. And to be honest - yes, cover my behind as well in case all those Sony proclamations of the format war being over turned out to be true.

I've never been very impressed with the PS3 or Blu-ray movies, but yesterday did it for me. Two things happened -

1- The 4 month old 'DVD style' remote - a $25 'accessory' for non-gamers like me to control the PS3 - crapped out. I tried new batteries, banging it, shaking it, but nope, it's dead already. So I'm trying to get a movie to load using the game controller, toggling like mad through the menus, back and forth, trying to get the hang of it, trying to remember if it's the stupid "X" button or the "O" button to make a selection. Oops! Avoid the "0' button at all costs - it's stops playback and you have to start all over again. <:-| I'm ready to throw the game controller at the TV, and then my better senses take over - I throw it at the PS3.

2- Finally my efforts are rewarded and my Netflix copy of Van Wilder begins to play. Holy crap in a can! This has to be the worst excuse for High Def I've ever seen! Upconverted DVD looks better than this! It's just flat, fuzzy and just plain bad. I shut it down after just a few minutes - Thank Sony for 'Eject' and 'Power' buttons on the unit itself - and pop in 'Shaun of the Dead' in my XA1, for a good High Def comedy form of anger management.

Yes, there have been poor quality releases on HD DVD and good releases on Blu-ray. But, all in all, I've decided to say so long. Maybe in a couple of years if you have a complete, full featured standalone player by then that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, instead of having to use a game console as the only reasonably affordable way to watch BD movies.

Last edited by Cochise; 09-10-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:28 PM

Hey, wow, I wasn't expecting that! Good for you, though I am still waiting for my Bluetooth remote to crap out on me before ditching Blu-ray . However, I am still much happier with HD DVD and still only find a small number of exclusives on Blu-ray that are must buys - so if were to make my decision again now, I think I would stick with HD DVD. Oh well...
Old 09-10-2007, 02:35 PM

I must say I lean heavily toward HD DVD, but my experience with the PS3, BD movies and the remote has generally been positive.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Heh just think if TL51 gets approved and works on all players... That would really make Blu Ray look pathetic.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:40 PM

I am now convinced that the only way to go and buy blu ray is by buying a combo player.
In that wat I will end up with two HD DVD players!!!
I am still not in a hurry to buy a Blu Ray player.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:46 PM

To me I have remained patient regarding Blu-Ray. I'm in no hurry even though there are many very strong titles coming out at Christmas. There will be a lower priced final spec player released eventually and that's when I will be officially neutral. Neutrality is the ONLY thing that makes sense anymore, and while I agree it is a total pain and expensive, I fortunately can afford it. I love movies too much to not have access to all the exclusive Blu goodness.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM

I am a big follower for HD, but there are those exclusives for Blu I want. remote is still going strong, but damn dog jumps on it and turns it on all the time...lol
Old 09-10-2007, 03:47 PM

Good for you. I am an Xbox guy myself so this I like to see.

Seriously, as things stand now I would rather watch BD-exclusive films in my upconverting DVD player on SD DVDs.

There are enough HD DVD titles to keep me busy anyways.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
To me I have remained patient regarding Blu-Ray. I'm in no hurry even though there are many very strong titles coming out at Christmas. There will be a lower priced final spec player released eventually and that's when I will be officially neutral. Neutrality is the ONLY thing that makes sense anymore, and while I agree it is a total pain and expensive, I fortunately can afford it. I love movies too much to not have access to all the exclusive Blu goodness.
I swear to God I could have written this word for word. I echo everything in this statement. I will become neutral when BD specs are finalized, so, maybe in 2008???
Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I swear to God I could have written this word for word. I echo everything in this statement. I will become neutral when BD specs are finalized, so, maybe in 2008???
Arkadin does have his moments.