Serenity NOW (actually later) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Serenity NOW (actually later)

I went HD DVD for one movie and one movie alone: Serenity.

I was a big fan of Firefly and I loved Serenity. I really got into supporting the idea of more Firefly/Serenity content. Therefore, I bought the HD DVD of Serenity without even owning an HD DVD player or a HDTV! Needless to say, I sat and stared at the box thinking about how great it must look in HD.

Eventually I bought a 360 and the add-on to go with my new HDTV. Needless to say the first movie I watched was Serenity. The funny thing is that, even though I made the decision to go red without looking at what movies were available, I like the HD DVD catalog much more than the Blu-ray catalog. I have about 20 HD DVD discs now and I'll be adding another 5 or 6 soon.

To me, it was all about the content. One particular bit of content. Sure, it might sound silly to pick a format based on one title, but I really loved the title. Once I made the choice the generally immature and offensive comments ("die HD DVD") from the Blu Ray crowd made me want to support HD DVD even more.

Finally, while I'm not a Microsoft supporter, I have to say that the codec they're pushing is quite amazing. With less space to work with, most HD DVD releases have been better picture quality than those released on Blu-ray. Hats off to MS for doing more with less.

Therefore, it started with content, then moved to movie selection, and ended with a superior product. That's why I'm red through and through.

DM
Old 09-01-2007, 06:33 PM

Serenity is a great film. I love the series so much and am so sad we arn't getting any more i almost want to buy multiple copies of them to spur sales and mabye get people to take notice

Universal's back catelog is FANTASTIC. Some of my favorite movies ever. The Thing, Waterworld. Serenity, Pitch Black... great sci-fi.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:47 PM

I really didnt like Serenity boring imo maybe bcuz i never watched firefly but welcome to HD
Old 09-01-2007, 06:47 PM

I have to agree with you completely. They day I bought my HD-A2 was when I found out about Heroes on HD exclusively. My addon purchase? Serenity. I now own some 12 titles, with about 15 more on the way. I immediately restarted my NetFlix subscription with nothing but HD titles at the top of the list (still waiting on 300). Time and again when I look at the exclusives on BD and HD, time and again, the HD titles are the ones I really want, only a few are BD only. Eventually, once BD gets the stuff together and has affordable players that are not already obsolete due to the BD spec being completely unfinished. And, yes the BD fanboy crap makes me want to support HD even more because of their arrogance and Sony's arrogance. I hate microsoft as much as the other guy but that's all because of how they do things with their operating systems, I have no beef against them for putting out a great video codec and HDi. The one title I want more than anything on HD is Firefly, followed by Farscape (wishful thinking!)
Old 09-01-2007, 07:04 PM

I bought a ps3 at first basically so i could watch Reign of Fire in hd .Serenity was definitely one of the reasons i bought a hd as well.
Sure its just 1 title but you have to start somewhere.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:42 PM

I know what you mean Messin. I bought the special edition standard definition DVD to support the cause. I just hope they get around to remastering it (even though it looks great as is) and re-releasing it in HD! I spend money on the Firefly/Serenity universe hoping there will be more content.

MasterX: If you can do it, and want to, check out the Firefly series. If you get into the characters I'm sure you'll enjoy the movie so much more. I didn't really like Serenity the first time around; it was only after watching the series that I really got into it. I think it's some of the best sci-fi in a long time.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

Great choice, I loved Firefly and Serenity.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM

Hopefully, they'll release Firefly on HD DVD. What company distributes Firefly?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
Hopefully, they'll release Firefly on HD DVD. What company distributes Firefly?
Fox, unfortunately.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo4 View Post
Fox, unfortunately.
But doesn't Universal have the rights to distribute it? As far as Sci-Fi channel and Universal HD channel?