Why I Decided To Go Red-3 Years Later - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Default Why I Decided To Go Red-3 Years Later

Alright, let me just get one thing out of the water: We all know HD-DVD is dead, Blu-Ray won. On February 19, 2008 Toshiba admitted defeat. It was a very solemn day for HD-DVD fans, and with competition out of the way, Blu-Ray was the only HD format left.

HD-DVD (the format) might be dead, but that doesn't mean it's not a cheap source of HD entertainment. Which is just one of the reasons I went from Blu to Red.

Here are my reasons:

1) Very, very cheap prices. Seriously, you can find full seasons of television series for under 25$ on HD-DVD. It is insane how a high definition format now sells for the price of VHS tapes.

2) No region locks. All HD DVD films are REGION FREE. And believe me, the amount of imports available on HD-DVD are ridiculous. For example, in Germany, there was an HD DVD copy of Resident Evil for sale. Now, what's interesting about this is Resident Evil is a Sony Pictures film. However, in Germany, It is a different publisher- thus allowing them to release it on HD-DVD. This could have been a selling point about HD-DVD.

3) Feels more stable then Blu-Ray. Not to start any flame wars, but I feel Blu Ray isn't ready for retail yet. Avatar, for example, could only play on a handful of players in 2009. HD-DVD just doesn't have these issues with compatibility.

4) Combo players. My personal player is an LG BH100, and although it can't utilize HD-DVD's interactive menus, It can play the movie fine. And it can play Blu-Ray as well. These just weren't ready for the public, with their launch price of 1200$. I just got mine last week, and haven't experienced any problems with my films.

5) Again, just so damn cheap. I can't believe how cheap these sell for. It is insane!

So those are my reasons for going from Blu (I used a PS3 as my player in the past) to Red. I just got my player last month. Feel free to sound off below, and I don't mind a little criticism :smile: so feel free to say what you wish about my list.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:52 PM

1) True.
2) True, but the imports aren't that cheap, so it's just as good if not better to buy a US copy of Resident Evil on BD.
3) There were some problems requiring firmware updates, but yes, it's stable now. Everything that's dead is pretty stable.
4) I had two LG BH200 players. My friend had one. Two of these three players failed, and reading on the forums this is a common problem. They were also slow and buggy. The BH100 is even slower and buggier, although they don't seem to have the same high failure rate. Also, I believe firmware updates are a thing of the past. Any new BD titles coming out that end up being incompatible will probably remain so forever.

I honestly feel the best way to be purple today is to go separate... a high end Toshiba player and a decent BD player.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM

3) Not true. There are many discs (mostly imports) that will ONLY play on second generation Toshiba players. There was never a firmware update for other players that fixed this problem.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXmEtAlFaNxJxLx View Post

3) Feels more stable then Blu-Ray. Not to start any flame wars, but I feel Blu Ray isn't ready for retail yet. Avatar, for example, could only play on a handful of players in 2009. HD-DVD just doesn't have these issues with compatibility.

So those are my reasons for going from Blu (I used a PS3 as my player in the past) to Red.
Hrrrmmmm.... Does not compute.

Since you were using a PS3 as your Blu-ray player, stability should not be a problem. That's the player that "always works" for Blu-ray playback. You did keep the firmware up-to-date, yes?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 AM

3) Avatar could only play on a handful of players? That just screams selective memory. A handful of players might have had trouble playing it, and then they got firmware upgrades and now no one cares.