Why are most people confused? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-19-2008, 01:48 AM

You could always buy them some movies in HD-DVD at the current prices why not. Spend $20 got 3-4 movies for em' then they can decide if they'd like to invest further.
I'm sure at some point all the HD-DVD only discs will come to blu and players will be at the point were they can afford it. So its ok to wait and just use DVD for now.

Its a difficult thing as if the HD-DVD add-on fails they'd get stuck with the Hd-DVD only movies. There are a lot of combos but there are far more HD only discs...
Old 07-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcblob View Post
I think finding a hd-dvd player online in the next few years will get very hard, have you seen how much the standalones are going for on amazon.co.uk. didn't lg and samsung say they will stop making combo players back in May.

anyway buying hd dvds at sub dvd pricing is a smart thing to do, its not like your playing is going to break in the next few years, even if it does, toshiba will repair it, they said they will carry parts for how long they said they would
I have to agree. Unless you already owned the format or just enjoy collecting movie's I would not say get involved in hd dvd at this point. If anybody asked me I would say buy blu-ray if they wanted to get into hi def movie's. The only advantage of hd dvd now is owning uni and some warner title's not available yet. That will be changing soon also. As much as I loved hd dvd the reality is blu-ray is pretty much the only way to go since the industry forced us that way. I do think if you already own hd dvd you should hang on to it though. It is still 1080p and who know's if some of that old stock won't turn up somewhere for $5.00 a pop. Surely it wasn't just all sent back and destroyed, that would be a waste.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Perhaps I phrased that wrong ('there is no losing side'). HD DVD has lost, and it's a dead format just like VHS and laser disc. Of course anybody that would recieve HD DVD as a gift needs to know that (if they don't know already), and if they're not OK with it, then either sell the gift off or just use the player as a DVD player and enjoy the few HD DVD that were given along with it. Geez, it's not like they're being given a time bomb or something. Furthermore, casual owners don't need to worry about pursuing the high end HD DVD players as replacements, those are toys for the early adopters like us.

I use an XA2, but have it set to 1080i because of a shut down bug (it sometimes shuts down when it's set to 1080p). Is the 1080i setting a problem? Not at all, because my 1080p plasma deinterlaces correctly, so I see no difference. So an A3 would work fine just as well and I don't believe that they will be scarce and expensive on ebay in a few years. If so, then good for those who already have players.

What I don't care for are the contridictory statements of some (not you, of course )who say 'don't collect HD DVDs, they'll be worthless like laserdisc in a few years' and then say, ' don't collect HD DVDs, there will be no cheap players in the future when yours breaks down'. Some people seem unreasonably hell bent on making sure others avoid HD DVD like the plague and I know exactly where they stand. For example, one person I know sold off their HD DVD collection and players, while keeping their LD and VHS players connected.

There seems to be a stigma with HD DVD right now for many, because the stink of defeat is still fresh. But the format is still as good as Blu-ray and always will be. Furthermore Toshiba made some mighty fine players and I would bet the majority of owners won't ever need to dig out the spare in their closet for reasons of the existing breaking down. Great players + great format + fine movies + great prices = nice.
Well said, and I agree wholeheartdly. Honestly to me blu-ray is a much bigger risk then buying some cheap hd dvd's. With the price of the player's and media still pretty high you still have a lot to lose. At this point there is no gurantee we won't be buying discounted blu-ray's if it to also dies. I just don't think blu-ray has the same buzz as when dvd when first came out. It just feel's like a loser to me is all. I think the recent movie online service that Sony just opened on the PS3 should give blu-ray owner's some pause.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Well, I don't think it's stupid at all to invest a little in HDDVD, despite what some previous poster mentioned. I got my 360 HD add-on for $50 when it went closeout right after the format was declared dead. For that price, I got the device, a remote, and 6 free HD movies. Already a good deal. Add to that I didn't have a DVD player that upscaled at the time. Also, through various websites, I have found excellent deals on HDDVDs -- many for sale less than $5.

Right now, although I have a Blu-ray player and certainly prefer it (and predicted it would win), I love HDDVD. For one, most if not all of its titles are DD5.1, which is the only thing my old -- but good! -- receiver supports. There are still many titles out there for me to buy. I just spent about $4 on BSG Season 1 brand new, and although the packaging and PQ (at times) sucks, it still was an awesome buy.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:30 PM

BSG S1 on HD-DVD is a great buy by itself, but if you want the whole series in hi-def, it makes no sense. You can buy the entire series on BD for much less money than buying season 1 on HD-DVD and seasons 2,3, and 4 on BD, plus the whole series will be on one format.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM

I don't think so, not with my situation at least. I got BSG S3 on BR for free since I won it through a contest. Got BSG S1, as mentioned, brand new for less than $4. So all that remains is S2 and S4.