I'm in. Say hello to my A30. - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 AM

Welcome one and all to the world of HIGH DEF!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:58 AM

So, we had the whole family over last night for a little "Planet Earth" on HD DVD.

Wow, wow....wow.... WOW. WOW.

That was the consensus. You're right Arkadin, I simply LOVE my XBR970/A30 combo. It was truly stunning. I have biased-lighting behind the TV, and it really gave an enormous depth to the blacks and shadows on the picture and helped the other colors just POP out of the TV.

I don't know if it is how I've calibrated my TV (with DVE) or what, but I thought some scenes in the Planet Earth series looked a little "soft". Maybe it has to do with the fact this series was shot in the wild, from helicopters, etc., but I thought, while the colors were off the charts and the blacks and shadows were drool-inducing, that some scenes did in fact look a smidge soft...not as clear, crisp as one would expect. I threw in Seabiscuit later in the evening, and it indeed looked sharp and vibrant...so maybe it is just the Planet Earth disc and they way it was filmed. Although, I've read that it was filmed in HD for HD...so if that's true, then what gives? Anybody else have that prob?

Otherwise...another brilliant and mind-numbing evening chalked up to HD DVD. Polar Express coming in the mail today for the kids. That ought to be a visual treat too.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:59 AM

Hey rmoody ... where can I pick up the import of T2? I'm very interested in that. Any reviews out there of that HD DVD disc?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogBalrog View Post
Hey rmoody ... where can I pick up the import of T2? I'm very interested in that. Any reviews out there of that HD DVD disc?
http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/te...e-p-11233.html

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=257961
Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 AM

@Sporadic - Whoa! That site has quite a few titles that I had written off as not available for HD DVD.

Brotherhood of the Wolf
Mulholland Drive
Total Recall
Terminator 2
Underworld

and... I simply cannot believe I'm seeing Band of Brothers there. What!? p_-

Wow. I'm very stoked on this link. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
@Sporadic - Whoa! That site has quite a few titles that I had written off as not available for HD DVD.

Brotherhood of the Wolf
Mulholland Drive
Total Recall
Terminator 2
Underworld

Wow. I'm very stoked on this link. Thanks!
No problem. I'm a pretty avid importer myself (Elephant Man/Mulholland Drive/Pianist/Serpico/T2/Total Recall)

Be sure to check out the imports thread http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=3010
Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 AM

Wow. That thread has great content. Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM

Analog:

Welcome to HD!

If you want Band of Brothers, you can pick it up from Amazon Japan. I got mine for about $150. It's expensive, but well worth it. I have the series and I watch it over and over in HD.

DM
Old 11-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
So, I went into Bestbuy yesterday an walked out with a Toshiba A30. It was open boxed, someone had JUST returned it, un-opened. I got it for $269 out the door, no tax. I didn't need the 1080p (yet), but for $20 more than the A-2, how could I ignore it.

Not to mention, there were free copies of 300 and Bourne Identity inside which sealed the deal and actually made it cheaper than the A-2.

Are you kidding me!? )

Deal of the lifetime.

So...anyway....I ultimately chose HD DVD because of Blu-Ray and Sony's ridiculously high prices. Yeah, I wanted Die Hard, Pixar flicks, Black Hawk Down, T2 and Kingdom of Heaven for Blu-Ray, but I didn't feel like shelling out $500 for the hardware. I think they're blowing it on their pricing scheme.

Also, call me crazy, but I like the HD-DVD logo, the motto, the red, and the low prices. Yeah, maybe that doesn't matter to some...but HD-DVD to me, is first class all the way. Blu ray is "too little, too late...for waaaay too much money." And I can finally stop going back and forth over the PS3 and just enjoy my Wii and A-30.

I watched "Seabiscuit" last night and it looked stunning on my Sony XBR970. I don't care what anyone says about having a tube TV, because this thing puts out a picture that destroys me. I'm only at 1080i and it looks magnificent IMHO.

Now, to figure out what DVD's to get. Blade Runner started this whole thing for me, but it's a ways off.

Welp, I'm rambling...thanks for reading and glad to be on board.

I currently have the HD A2 which I picked up a couple months ago for $180 taxes in Canadian which I thought was a smoking deal(it was a special employee of Best Buy promotion). Then all of a sudden I see these crazy deals all over the place to you Americans I'm jealous That aside though what's everyone's opinion on the A30 because they're offering it as another employee deal for $280 taxes in Canadian with Bourne Identity, 300, and Transformers plus the 5 free mail in titles. The main reason I upgraded my xbox360 add-on drive was the amazing deal, less noisy player, and the amazing deal plus my TV only does 1080i although I'd be upgrading in the spring I'm thinking. Is it worth it for me to upgrade? I want to do my part for HD DVD but I'm not going to throw money down the toilet it looks like a great player and the 1080p capability I really like, what kind of load times does it have? Anyways thanks, any information you can provide I'd appreciate I'm really considering getting it this week.

P.S. Like a good HD DVD fan I of course already own 300 and Transformers, any ideas on how to unload those titles and maybe recoup a few bucks?