I dumped VHS finally! - Page 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Just watched Hey Good Lookin' the other day, not available on any other format. The 1952 Robin Hood and His Merrie Men as well.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi.master.dre View Post
Anyone like me and still using VHS? I still use LD, VHS, SD DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray.

I use a JVC S-VHS player through a DVDO Edge and I just bought 2 different comb filters to try out. A faroudja and an Entech.
Yep, my wife and I actually just got a VHS deck, hooked it up to my 50" toshiba and threw in Hamburger Hill to start with, quality on that tape was rather meh (picture), though audio with some Prologic and Theater DSP on my 605 was fairly decent actually. Since then I've tried the Star Trek Voyager and DS9 Plots, both had fairly decen picture qualities actually. I was rather supprised. yeah you could for sure tell it was video tape, but over all it wasn't horrid. Actually it was good enough that I could tell that Voyager (as is) wouldn't scale very well to higher def formats. SFX just aren't that good.

Over all I think if you still have some video tapes you don't feel like rebuying (or don't have the option to), there's still a place for the format in a high def world.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM

When I got my first LCD screen, I tries VHS on it and it was unwatchable. I now have a Sony Bravia and the onboard upscaling does a pretty decent job with VHS
Old 02-13-2016, 06:52 PM

I haven't had a VHS player in 20 years. Back in '96, my player died & I didn't like the format much anyway, so I never got it replaced - I was obviously not the big movie/TV show fan that I am now, however.

I'm surprised that anyone still has VHS tapes & VCR's. Are there stores out there that still repair VCR's?!

That all being said, I understand why some keep the format - since there are still some movies that are not on DVD/Blu-ray.

Last edited by Blu Monday; 02-14-2016 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 AM

There is at least one combo DVD+VHS player still being sold at Wal-Mart for some ridiculously high price. Plenty of refurbished and used players on eBay. In the last year I purchased 2 VHS tapes that are not available on DVD: BodyWaves (1992) and Fat Boys 3x3 (1988). Only have a total of 5 at this point, just scratching an itch for things from my youth.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjarvi View Post
There is at least one combo DVD+VHS player still being sold at Wal-Mart for some ridiculously high price. Plenty of refurbished and used players on eBay. In the last year I purchased 2 VHS tapes that are not available on DVD: BodyWaves (1992) and Fat Boys 3x3 (1988). Only have a total of 5 at this point, just scratching an itch for things from my youth.
Interesting. I find it ironic that VHS tapes and players are going for such high prices these days. I never liked the format back in the day - even before DVD/Blu-ray.

That being said, it is true that there are still at least some films that are only available on VHS, not DVD/Blu-ray.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 AM

Over the past couple of years, I have picked up 2 VHS/DVD player/recorder combo units with built-in digital tuners + upconverting hdmi outputs. These cost less than $7 each at a local hospice charity fund raiser store. They include a Toshiba DVR670 and a Panasonic DMR-EZ475V. They are both in mint condition, came with original remote controls, can play back s-vhs tapes (yeah, I still have some of those hanging around) & work perfectly. There are bargains out there if you stay attentive & are lucky.

Last edited by Rich86; 03-24-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:23 PM

What a blast from the past
Old 03-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What a blast from the past
These actually get used occasionally as they are in 2 different places (home vs. mountain place) & I tend to not use my BD players for regular DVDs & I use my HD-A35 if I want to watch a particular DVD & get the best pq.