Attebery is offline Member

Default DirecTV to Launch 3D Television in March

DirecTV to Launch 3D Television in March:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._in_March/3992

channels86 is offline Member

pathetic. why not complete the long list of 2D SD & HD channels before you go into 3D huh ? and using the standard where you need glasses is a joke, use the standard where you do not need the glasses, again electronic makers use the cheapo junk version of a standard (same as did with HD)

launch all the 2D channels below, and only then launch 3D

-ARTS
    CLASSIC ARTS SHOWCASE
    COLOURS

-ANIMATION
    FUNIMATION

-ETC
    AMERICAN LIFE TV NETWORK
    AMERICA ONE
    BLUEHIGHWAYSTV
    FAMILYNET
    LIFETIME REAL WOMEN
    MILITARY HISTORY CHANNEL
    SUPERSTATIONS = 6

-MOVIE = PREMIUM
    CINEMAX @ MAX
    CINEMAX 5 STAR MAX
    CINEMAX ACTION MAX
    CINEMAX OUTER MAX
    CINEMAX THRILLER MAX
    CINEMAX W MAX
    EPIX
    HBO COMEDY
    HBO ZONE
    SHOWTIME BEYOND
    SHOWTIME FAMILY ZONE
    SHOWTIME NEXT
    SHOWTIME WOMEN
    STARZ CINEMA
    STARZ INDIEPLEX
    STARZ RETROPLEX
    TMC XTRA

-MUSIC
    CMT PURE COUNTRY
    EYE MUSIC NETWORK
    HARMONY CHANNEL
    IMF
    SOUNDTRACK CHANNEL

-PUBLIC INTEREST
    CSPAN 3
    DOCUMENTARY CHANNEL
    FREE SPEECH TV
    GOOD SAMARITAN NETWORK
    LINK MEDIA
    PENTAGON CHANNEL
    RESEARCH CHANNEL
    STARFISH TV NETWORK

-SPORTS
    BLACKBELT TV
    MAVTV
    THE AMERICA CHANNEL
    THE FIGHT NETWORK
    THE HORSETV CHANNEL
    THE RACING NETWORK
    VERSUS / UNIVERSAL SPORTS
    WATER CHANNEL
    WORLD FISHING NETWORK
    Last edited by channels86; 12-29-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Mark1021 is offline Member

I agree with channels86, I would rather see DirecTV get the HDTV channels all up and running. 3D is an extremely niche market by comparison.
    Samsung 61" DLP 1080P
    Sony STR-DA3300ES
    Klipsch RF-62 RC-62 RS-10 RB-51 SUB-10
    Energy S12.3
    HD-A2 PS3 Xbox 360 Elite

- 300+ | - 70 | DVD - 340+
    VHS - Too many, but some aren't available on DVD

Raptor007 is offline Member

The biggest problem with rolling out 3D now is content -- you can't just "upconvert" 2D sources to 3D. As far as I know, there are no networks recording in 3D and only a few movies released in 3D so far.

I'm glad to see that progress is being made in this direction though. After I saw Avatar in 3D at the IMAX, I realized that I really would like to have 3D Blu-ray in my home. The content makers have to start using 3D regularly before this makes any sense though.

Quote Originally Posted by channels86 View Post
    using the standard where you need glasses is a joke, use the standard where you do not need the glasses, again electronic makers use the cheapo junk version of a standard (same as did with HD)
    This complaint doesn't make any sense to me. Sending a 3D signal is just two of each frame from a different angle. It shouldn't matter if the implementation at the consumer's end is with or without glasses.
    Samsung 4671 (1013.1/1001), Denon AVR-3300, HTD Level 3 5.1, Samsung BD-UP5000

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    The biggest problem with rolling out 3D now is content -- you can't just "upconvert" 2D sources to 3D. As far as I know, there are no networks recording in 3D and only a few movies released in 3D so far.

I'm glad to see that progress is being made in this direction though. After I saw Avatar in 3D at the IMAX, I realized that I really would like to have 3D Blu-ray in my home. The content makers have to start using 3D regularly before this makes any sense though.

This complaint doesn't make any sense to me. Sending a 3D signal is just two of each frame from a different angle. It shouldn't matter if the implementation at the consumer's end is with or without glasses.
    It sucks, needing glasses, cause it is not the best least intrusive option, cause people who wear glasses then need glasses on top of glasses.

Just like with HD - Digital the macro blocking, there was a standard (that was rejected) that would have elimanted that, but the industry went with a crappier standard

RBBrittain is offline Member

Maybe DirecTV was reading the news here the other day, when they said consumers were more interested in 3D cable than Blu-ray 3D?

You can complain all you want about existing HD channels, but without content there's not much reason to go HD, much less 3D. IMO the perfect channel for an HD upgrade would be Turner Classic Movies (takes "never cut a film" to a whole new dimension); but AFAIK Time Warner hasn't come up with an HD version of TCM yet.

rise2it is offline Member

Worthless announcement, but worth it to them for the free 'press' it will generate, at least making them look like they are on the leading edge of technology to the masses that really don't understand it.

paxi is offline Member

baloney. Of course to start out with there will be little in the way of content and I am always up for more 2d HDTV (vs. SD). However even if there is one new piece of content/month, I would be watching this more often than "CSPAN3" , "Showtime Women", and "The pentagon channel". I wear glasses. Avatar 3-D was just fine with glasses x 2. I have a Ps3, direct TV, and an HDTV that probably has 1-2 years on it left. I don't see a lot of downside in looking towards a 3-D capable TV as the next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
    Maybe DirecTV was reading the news here the other day, when they said consumers were more interested in 3D cable than Blu-ray 3D?

You can complain all you want about existing HD channels, but without content there's not much reason to go HD, much less 3D. IMO the perfect channel for an HD upgrade would be Turner Classic Movies (takes "never cut a film" to a whole new dimension); but AFAIK Time Warner hasn't come up with an HD version of TCM yet.
    Time for a reality check, DirecTV, even when they send a 1920 x 180 p signal can hardly be called HD because they bit rate starve the signal, full HD goes at 40mb a second, DirecTV never uses over 15mb a second.

diggumsmax is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by channels86 View Post
    Time for a reality check, DirecTV, even when they send a 1920 x 180 p signal can hardly be called HD because they bit rate starve the signal, full HD goes at 40mb a second, DirecTV never uses over 15mb a second.
    By your standards then nothing is truly HD but BR. Since DirecTV moved to MPEG4 the picture quality has gotten much better then their older MPEG2 HD broacasts. As good as Blu, no but still better then it was before.
    Setup

360 gamertag = pooster

blu-ray needs to use higher bit rates, yes but almost everyone released has higher bitrates then DirecTV

also mpeg4 actually degrades the signal more than mpeg2 doe because less compression = more of original signal coming through, most will say wrong, but when you compress something more, you loose the full breadth of signal by more parts being removes

chrisj979 is offline Member

Great glad to see another spectrum being added. I also saw a nice line of HD3D TV's due out this spring/summer, particularly a 72" Vizio for $3500.

I think there os some confusion with this 3D broadcast stuff, somoe seem to miss that it is HD3D, also it will not be every program just certain sporting events and movies. Sure they should add more regular HD but to be honest the law only required "local" stations to switch to HD, everything else has until 2012. It's not like DirectTv alone came up with this, from what was said at CES ESPN will have the first 3D broadcast, the soccer championship. Can't broadcast unless you have an outlet to broadcast through. The 3D Blu-Ray spec was approved back in Nov.

I see wearing the glasses no different than setting up a media room, you only need to wear the glasses when you are watching a program that you "want" to see in 3d not everything. Just like you olny go into the media room to watch the programming you "want" to see in there and that will take advantage of your setup. I don't think we will be watching Seinfeld or Cosby reruns in 3D.

Just my opinion.