SI released the NFL All Decade Team list....Agree? Disagree? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Default SI released the NFL All Decade Team list....Agree? Disagree?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eam/index.html

Do you guys agree or disagree with these picks?

Manning over Brady??? I do not agree....Brady = 3 Super Bowl wins (with 2 Super Bowl MVP's)....Manning = 1 Super Bowl win......
Old 12-10-2009, 01:03 PM

dude, manning carries the colts, always has, always will, will have every passing record there is by the time he's done

the pats won superbowls with a lot of defensive help, but used key drives by brady to get the wins (except that eagles game, where mcnabb was giving away ints like it was christmas)

those guys should be #1 & 2 regardless of any list, i'd rank manning over brady but if they were flip flopped i wouldn't complain, both are awesome

edit: he gives pretty good reasoning behind his choice

Quote:
Toughest call, choosing Manning over Brady. Both deserve it. Brady gets the edge in titles 3-1. Manning gets the edge in MVPs 3-1 -- and he's in prime position to win a record fourth this year. Manning gets the edge in raw productivity, with 11,000 more passing yards and 87 more touchdowns. Brady played eight years, Manning 10. If I chose this team at the end of this season and the Patriots had won another title, I'd have to put Brady in this spot. But we're picking it now, and as we sit here, I believe Manning will go down in history as one of the top three quarterbacks, and I can't make a team of the decade, in Manning's prime years, without having him quarterback it. Manning is my Player of the Decade.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:11 PM

I agree that both are awesome. If I could take a regular season QB, I would take Peyton Manning. Postseason though - Brady every single time. The goal of an NFL team is to win the Super Bowl - this debate is similar to the Montana vs. Elway debate that analysts had years back. Montana got the nod every single time because of the SB wins, UNTIL Elway won his two....

I understand where you are coming from though...some people discount Dan Marino as a "great one" because of his lack of a SB win...I always will put Marino in the top 5 all time though.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:34 PM

even though i'm a huge pats fan i'd take manning over brady no doubt. i've always thought brady was somewhat overrated, some years more, some years less. they're both excellent, but manning's the better qb.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 PM

What about the other picks?

Tomlinson is probably the easiest pick at any position.

Completely agree with Randy Moss, but I do not agree with Hines Ward. I don't see how you can look past Marvin Harrison or Terrell Owens or OchoCinco....

Tony Gonzalez at TE is perfect...

As far as the O-Line, it's often too hard to judge....

I have a HUGE problem with Aaron Smith at DE. Dwight Freeney and Michael Strahan are FAR better....as is Julius Peppers.

At DT, I think a case could still be made for Warren Sapp....

At LB --- If I am picking 4 LB, I am taking Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Derrick Brooks, and Zach Thomas.

At CB --- Bailey is spot on, but Winfield over Ronde Barber or Ty Law or Troy Vincent? I don't think so.

At Safety --- It comes down to 4 really...Reed, Dawkins, Polmalu, and Rodney Harrison....take your pick from there - he picked Reed and Dawkins...

At Kicker --- Viniatieri of course....clutch kicker in the Super Bowl (all the time, really)

Coach --- Belichick...I agree.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:02 PM

i agree with hines ward, partly because i'm a huge steeler fan and partly because of his reasoning (which is sound)

he might not have the flash of those other guys, but he does everything else that i love about football, the hitting, the blocking, etc. which is why he is loved in pittsburgh, doesn't care about catches and numbers, just wants to win

aaron smith is a great player, but if you don't watch the steelers regularly you probably don't know that, which is why he's a surprise on the list to me
Old 12-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
i agree with hines ward, partly because i'm a huge steeler fan and partly because of his reasoning (which is sound)

he might not have the flash of those other guys, but he does everything else that i love about football, the hitting, the blocking, etc. which is why he is loved in pittsburgh, doesn't care about catches and numbers, just wants to win

aaron smith is a great player, but if you don't watch the steelers regularly you probably don't know that, which is why he's a surprise on the list to me
Not to take ANYTHING away from Hines Ward, he is definitely a great player. I just can't fathom picking him over Harrison, Owens, Ocho, or even Torry Holt in his prime.

Aaron Smith is a great player - he played college ball here in Colorado. However, all decade? Over Freeney? Over Peppers? Over Kearse? AND over Strahan? No way.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:12 PM

all i can think is that he took total play over sacks, freeney is awful against the run, kearse had injury issues, strahan hasn't played the last two years

towards the beginning through around 07 the steelers were all about the run so hines wouldn't have the numbers of those other receivers, but like i said, being a huge steeler fan i'll argue hines ward to the death
Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM

So who wants to make predictions of who will be on the NFL All Decade Team list 10 years from now?

I'd guess:

Offense:

QB: Aaron Rodgers/Drew Brees
RB: Adrian Peterson/Chris Johnson
WR: DeSean Jackson/Micheal Crabtree
TE: Vernon Davis/Jermicheal Finley

Defense:

DT Albert Haynesworth
DE Jared Allen
SS Troy Polamalu
FS Nick Collins
CB Darell Revis/Nnamdi Asomugha
LB Brian Cushing/Patrick Willis
Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Good list..........

When it is all said and done Manning will go down as the greatest QB to play the position.

Lbs: Ray Lewis, Urlacher, Brooks, Joey Porter

CBs: Where is the Charles Woodson love?????

De: Strahan should be there.....