Brazilian Catholic Church Excommunicates 9 Year Old - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 PM

Default Brazilian Catholic Church Excommunicates 9 Year Old

Child who was raped is excommunicated by catholic church for having abortion, so was the doctor...

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...883598,00.html

What'dya think???
Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM

I think we don't know the whole entire story, but I also think that a church should look at the reason for the abortion. Even if abortion is frowned upon, which a lot of other churches agree with, simply being excommunicated for having an abortion without looking at the rest of the story is absurd.

I think rape is one of those exceptions that they should've said, "Ok, this kind of circumstance seems plausible to necessitate an abortion."
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Former Member

yup Jon, fully. also, how much damage would a god damn PREGNANCY do to a little NINE YEAR OLD GIRL who already suffered enough?!?

That's the fault of following the word of the law/religion to the letter, rather than using one's brain, logic, and HEART. showing empathy. I'd comment further, but I'd be sure to offend nearly every religious person here.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 PM

Is this coming from the same Catholic religion that knowingly covered up information about their rapist priests and then moved them to new locations for new victims? I can't believe it!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:09 AM

Well I guess I can't speak for why these people were excommunicated... I guess my own personal feelings are that certainly in the case of the child it was harsh, but then again I'm not a church official.

But, with specific regard to abortion the fact is it's viewed as a mortal sin in the church. I know probably many of you are pro-life, and proabaly most all of us like to view these issues in a political context more than a theological one. The church on the other hand looks at the issue purely from a theological perspective though, as I'm sure you can all imagine there for ultimatly, the reason for the abrotion really doesn't count for anything.

So for those of you wondering why they didn't look into why the child had the abortion, there's your answer. What I can't answer is what the specific conditions for excommunication are and why it was applied in these two cases. It's just not something I'm at all familiar with at all at this point.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 AM

It's is my belief that these kinds of rules along with the church being against wearing any kind of sexual protection are purely for procreational reasons to keep the church alive and thriving.

Here is an "article" that covers mostly the catholic and jewish religions regarding the history of anti-contraceptive in the church.

http://www.lisashea.com/lisabase/abo...thcontrol.html
Old 03-12-2009, 10:47 AM

It's my beleif that you don't understand the church garden... In fact I'd suggest it's clear that you don't. I know you feel very strongly about the issue, but I would encourage you to try studying the matter with a more open less colored mind.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM

No offense Crazzeto, and I really mean that, but I went to Christian church for 15 years and have read through the entire bible. So I do have a little idea about the church in general.

Crazz, why don't you explain to me your opinion on why the church bans condoms then?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
No offense Crazzeto, and I really mean that, but I went to Christian church for 15 years and have read through the entire bible. So I do have a little idea about the church in general.

Crazz, why don't you explain to me your opinion on why the church bans condoms then?
The church feels it interferes with the natural course of nature and marriage. This theology is based on the flood story in noah's arch. Whether or not you beleive it, really doesn't change the sheer ignorance of what you just posted previously. You're suggesting that the church doesn't beleive what it teaches, but it just propetuates lies in order to keep running. I assure you that isn't the case, the Clergy are very faithful by and large. I just attended a lecture about the Eucharist last night with my church's newest preist. If you don't believe your self that's one thing, but don't try telling me this man doesn't believe in the faith. Don't tell me he's knowingly just a part of a power machine. That's insulting.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Crazzeto, you are taking this way to personally. I realize this is your religion, but I am just one person on the opposite side of the spectrum. To me, religion is the pill for the masses. People don't understand death and that's really very scary. People cannot comprehend what happens when they die and they need comfort. Many people run to religion when their life is in crisis or they have hit rock bottom. Religion fills that void. In turn, religion is a huge money maker with many many corrupt people who take advantage of people and their weaknesses.
I do not dare say that all or even most are corrupt but I believe the very higher ups in these organizations make many decisions based on money and how to keep their religion growing.

Again, the above is my opinion. As an agnostic I think it's only logical to think that a church would be against contraceptives because the number one way to create a new member to to birth them. Imagine if all the members in a church stopped having children, what would happen then? Anyways, I can respect your opinions and I can also offer up mine.