Ernest Borgnine & Abe Vigoda - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Ernest Borgnine & Abe Vigoda

Seems like we have those occasional Rest in Peace posts with aging actors, but never the "Holy Shit, they're still alive??!!" posts... hense I give you... Ernest Borgnine and Abe Vigoda.

Ernest was born on January 24, 1917... which makes him currently 92 years-old. Best known for his work in tv's McHail's Navy, Hart to Hart and Airwolf.. and films The Wild Bunch, The Dirty Dozen, Flight of the Phoenix and The Poseidon Adventure.. he's an Oscar winner, multiple Emmy-award winner and at 90 was the oldest Golden Globe nominee ever. Still works to this day with 5 films in post-production and his voice talent as the elderly superhero Mermaid Man on Spongebob Squarepants.

Abe was born on February 24, 1921... which makes him currently 88 years-old. Best known for his role as Salvator Tessio in "The Godfather" and Detective Sgt. Phil Fish ("Fish" for short) on Barney Miller. He's been reported dead more times then God... David Letterman had a running joke of his mortality.. skit showed Letterman trying to summon Vigoda's ghost. Vigoda then walked in and declared, "I'm not dead, you idiot!"

Last edited by zombiequest; 01-08-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 PM

My grandmother on my moms side is dead now but she was a product of the depression era and was a hitchhiker. She hitched into her 70's or 80's when she finally died. At any rate she got picked up one day by Ernest Borgnine and they talked for like an hour or more while he went way out of his way to take her all the way to my Aunts house. Classy Gentlemen.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM

wow, two great actors that I'm glad are still alive! Airwolf was awesome until they replaced stringfellow & co... Tessio will always be known for sitting on the pourch of Don Vito Corlion's home practicing and practicing a thank you for inviting me to the wedding speach only to screw it up in the Don's presence.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
wow, two great actors that I'm glad are still alive! Airwolf was awesome until they replaced stringfellow & co... Tessio will always be known for sitting on the pourch of Don Vito Corlion's home practicing and practicing a thank you for inviting me to the wedding speach only to screw it up in the Don's presence.
You're thinking of Luca Brasi... big, burly hitman that gets whacked in the bar that practices the "Thank You" in the beginning of the movie... "and may your first child.. be a masculine child.." Luca Brasi was played by Lenny Montana, he died in 1992. Abe Vagoda was seen in the room with Sunny and Tom and Micheal and Clamenza... he's at the end with Tom.. "Tom.. can you get me off the hook... for oldtime's sake".... "Can't do it Sali."

But you're right... Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes. (I use that term for any Godfather character that "dissappears")
Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 PM

You're right, I was confused..
Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Holy Shiite! They're both still alive?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM

okay, i totally forgot but what did Tessio do?

also if i remember it right they sent Brasi's flack jacket with a couple of fishes in it, that was the sign that he was sleeping with the fishes.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 AM

I remember when it seemed Bob Hope would never die. My personal hero Jack Lalanne could be added to this list. He is the freakin' Energizer bunny and he is in his 90's!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii sun View Post
okay, i totally forgot but what did Tessio do?

also if i remember it right they sent Brasi's flack jacket with a couple of fishes in it, that was the sign that he was sleeping with the fishes.
Betrayed godfather Michael Corlion after Vito's funeral... He tried setting up a supposed "meeting" of the families at which Michael would be assasinated.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:58 AM

to add a quote...

Tom Hagen: [after finding out Tessio sold Michael out] Tessio. I always thought it would be Clemenza.
Michael: It's the smart move. Tessio was always smarter.

Clamenza was the fat Bodygaurd in the film... showed Michael how to fire the gun in the basement.