Satellite Radio Audio Quality - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-12-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Satellite Radio Audio Quality

I just got an XM receiver for my car (The Delphi RoadyXT to be exact). I had it professionally installed with a wired FM modulator, and everything works fine. But what's with the AQ? On some stations it sounds worse than FM. And I have full signal bars in my area so that's not the problem. Can anyone else speak from experience? Would Sirius have been a better choice AQ wise? Or is it just my receiver.

Last edited by Pat H; 05-12-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:10 PM

I have Sirius, installed myself, and have never had a problem with it. I travel a lot between Kansas to Texas and so on. Every station sounds great, now if I get stuck under a bridge in traffic, or pull into a canopy area (like Sonic) I lose signal.

I'd check the antenna placement, and maybe ask the guys who installed it about the wiring; maybe even set the FM station to a different one.

It doesn't matter anyways which company you went with. Starting in January it's all going to be 1 big monopoly.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:13 PM

I also have XM and ive had no audio quality issues really. The question is, is yours picking it up over the airwave or is it coming in via some input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggytx View Post
It doesn't matter anyways which company you went with. Starting in January it's all going to be 1 big monopoly.
im going to have to 100% disagree with you on that. Many analysts said that and I believe thats a very narrow point of view. Most people in their cars plug in their iPod or listen to CD's, if not just their AM/FM radio and thats who XM/Sirius are competing with. So if we look at the bigger picture, you will see that its actually not a monopoly in any shape or form.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
I also have XM and ive had no audio quality issues really. The question is, is yours picking it up over the airwave or is it coming in via some input
I didn't mention or think of that, but mine is plugged in and not FM transmitted

Quote:
im going to have to 100% disagree with you on that. Many analysts said that and I believe thats a very narrow point of view. Most people in their cars plug in their iPod or listen to CD's, if not just their AM/FM radio and thats who XM/Sirius are competing with. So if we look at the bigger picture, you will see that its actually not a monopoly in any shape or form.
I see what your saying, what I'm really getting at isn't price it's choice. If I want Faction, Alt Nation, Lithium, and Punk29 (Sirius Stations) who's to say they are going to leave those and not just merge in with the stations XM has that are in the same categories. If I like the DJ's and music choices on Sirius over XM - I no longer get to make that decision.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Mine is picked up via FM transmition and it's "quieter" then regular radio. Comparing I have to well not really turn it up all the way to listen to XM. But it is not as loud as regular radio. Then again I don't need to be loud since I got it for only Opie and Anthony.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Thanks for the tips. The antenna placement isn't a problem, because I had it wired to sit on top of the roof. I have full bars at all times. And for the signal input into my car's audio system, I have it hard wired with an FM modulator that feeds into the antenna port on my receiver, so there isn't any worry of analog interference from terrestrial stations. So basically, all the connections are fine and likewise the audio should be fine as well. But it's not (at least IMO).

I did some research on different forums for satellite radio, and there were several other complaints about XM (and Sirius) identical to mine. The consensus seems to be not the setup causing the problem, but XM itself. Apparently satellite radio used to use higher bit rates - around the 96-128 kbps range. But now the bandwidth is so limited with all of the added stations, that each channel is now averaging 30-64 kbps. So basically, the low bit rates smear the fidelity and make the music (particularly the highs) sound flat and muddy. I'm now thinking this is the problem. I also came across a few open letters to XM and Sirius demanding that they consolidate channels and increase the bit rates for improved fidelity.

I'm not going to unsubscribe, especially since I only activated my subscription yesterday. I'll give it some time, and see what happens. But as somewhat of an audiophile, I am disappointed, especially after hearing that it was supposed to be "CD quality".
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
I just got an XM receiver for my car (The Delphi RoadyXT to be exact). I had it professionally installed with a wired FM modulator, and everything works fine. But what's with the AQ? On some stations it sounds worse than FM. And I have full signal bars in my area so that's not the problem. Can anyone else speak from experience? Would Sirius have been a better choice AQ wise? Or is it just my receiver.
Did you also know you can use it online as well? http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/login_servlet.jsp Just sign up and put your radio Id in it!! I have noticed that as well some channels being lower than other's. I've had it since 2002 and I'm very happy with it. Especially that I live in Florida now and I'm orig from NY so I can listen to my Yankees games on this. I also have the Baseball package online as well but when I'm in my car I can at least listen to the game!!
Mischa.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischa316 View Post
I also have the Baseball package online...
Can somebody with XM answer a question... Do you have to pay for certain packages and/or stations?

Because with Sirius you get every sports game (except baseball), every music and talk station for 13-14 bucks a month. I heard different of XM, and that was a big factor when I decided a few years back.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:32 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggytx View Post
Can somebody with XM answer a question... Do you have to pay for certain packages and/or stations?

Because with Sirius you get every sports game (except baseball), every music and talk station for 13-14 bucks a month. I heard different of XM, and that was a big factor when I decided a few years back.
I get every baseball game on my reciever for xm Including Playoff's!! You can not get the audio online since mlb.tv has there own online. The online is actually included in the price per month. XM is about 12 a month I think. I dont remember I pay for the whole year in advance so I dont have to pay as much a month!! I had to get xm as well since I have a pioneer cd player and there cd players only have xm. I'm happy I have it. I think I also get hockey, college football & basketball.
Mischa.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Yeah, it sounds to me like they are pretty much the same... green apple or a red apple?