52% of mail is junk mail !!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Default 52% of mail is junk mail !!!

This is a really interesting article.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/161231

Some highlights,

1) Overall volume of mail has dropped 5.5 percent in the past year.

2) The Postal Service lost $1.1 billion in its latest quarter.

3) Direct mailings now constitute 52 percent of mail volume, up from 38 percent in 1990.

4) 89 percent of consumers say that they'd prefer not to receive direct-marketing mail.

5) 44 percent of it is never opened.

Of all of the things that the evironmentalists should be complaining about this is it. Think of all of the gas and trees that get wasted on this paper spam!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:12 PM

A long time ago i put one of those 'no junk mail' signs on my mailbox and i haven't received any since.People should all do that although i suspect many people actually like the stuff.
I also let my answering machine handle all my phone calls now because 99 percent of them are solicitation and surveys.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Former Member

canuck, i had the same thing. do not call list really drops out 99% of it.

i was getting a NIGHTLY call from a credit card company, same guy, asking me to get in protection plus or whatever. he never stopped until i just went off on him. been months since i've heard his voice, thank god.

paper spam, i hate it. i have a tiny mailbox in my complex, and the pennysaver (BURN IN HELL) taking up the space DESTROYS my real mail, getting crunched and shit. most read publication my ass. most overly solicited pile of goat excrement.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Man, about phone calls. I used to get one twice a day from these Jamaican sounding guys asking me for my social security number and what not. The number wasn't private, so I used to call them back and ask them for their SS#. Then the number would go dead, until the next day. And I'd get the same freaking phone call. So I called phone company to block the number or automatic dialer's, nothing they could do? Called the FCC and said automatic dialers are illegal in Jersey, living in NJ at the time. The FCC said... "What do you want us to do about it?" I'm like what the fuck? You're the FCC?

Anyway about junk mail. It's really a poor use of resources considering all the trees that have to be wasted for that shit.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
A long time ago i put one of those 'no junk mail' signs on my mailbox and i haven't received any since.People should all do that although i suspect many people actually like the stuff.
I also let my answering machine handle all my phone calls now because 99 percent of them are solicitation and surveys.
canada's don't call list went online today i already signed up it's gonna be great
Old 10-02-2008, 01:45 AM

I need 5 letters a month: Electric bill, internet bill, phone bill, car bill and insurance bill.

The rest isn't opened or looked at ever...
Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwoardnog View Post
I need 5 letters a month: Electric bill, internet bill, phone bill, car bill and insurance bill.

The rest isn't opened or looked at ever...
So you use somebody else's credit card?

On the subject of junk mailers, the 9th chamber of hell should be reserved for them, with the 10th being the domain of e-mail spammers of course, there to roast in the hottest fires for all eternity.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
So you use somebody else's credit card?

On the subject of junk mailers, the 9th chamber of hell should be reserved for them, with the 10th being the domain of e-mail spammers of course, there to roast in the hottest fires for all eternity.
Thats why e-mail should cost a penny. Or the ISP's could give personal accounts 200 a month or something like that. It would cut internet traffic in half overnight.