Old 06-06-2008, 12:25 PM

Default Clint Eastwood to Spike Lee: "Shut your face."

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...284235,00.html

Spike Lee gets in Clint Eastwood's line of fire

· Director told to 'shut his face' after race comments
· Row over black casting in second world war films

Paul Lewis
Friday June 6, 2008

Clint Eastwood has advised rival film director Spike Lee to "shut his face" after the African-American complained about the racial make-up of Eastwood's films.

In an interview with the Guardian published today, Eastwood rejected Lee's complaint that he had failed to include a single African-American soldier in his films Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima, both about the 1945 battle for the Japanese island.

In typically outspoken language, Eastwood justified his choice of actors, saying that those black troops who did take part in the battle as part of a munitions company didn't raise the flag. The battle is known by the image of US marines raising the American flag on Mount Suribachi.

"The story is Flags of Our Fathers, the famous flag-raising picture, and they didn't do that. If I go ahead and put an African-American actor in there, people'd go: 'This guy's lost his mind.' I mean, it's not accurate." Referring to Lee, he added: "A guy like him should shut his face."

Lee's comments came during a press conference to promote his own war film, Miracle at St Anna, at the Cannes film festival last month. "Clint Eastwood made two films about Iwo Jima that ran for more than four hours total, and there was not one Negro actor on the screen," Lee said. "If you reporters had any balls you'd ask him why. There's no way I know why he did that ... But I know it was pointed out to him and that he could have changed it. It's not like he didn't know."

Lee's own film, about members of the all-black 92nd Buffalo Division, which fought in Italy, is an attempt to set second world war history straight.

Eastwood, who described himself as libertarian - "Just stay out of everybody else's hair" - has a reputation for outspoken remarks. He once said he would kill fellow film-maker Michael Moore if he showed up uninvited at his house. His 2004 double-Oscar-winning film Million Dollar Baby was criticised by Christian groups who objected to part of the plot involving "assisted suicide".

Defending the racial make-up in his films as historically accurate, Eastwood referred to another of his films, Changeling, which was set in Los Angeles before the city had a large group of African-Americans. "What are you going to do, you going to tell a fuckin' story about that?" he said. "Make it look like a commercial for an equal opportunity player? I'm not in that game. I'm playing it the way I read it historically, and that's the way it is. When I do a movie and it's 90% black, like Bird, then I use 90% black people.

"He was complaining when I did Bird (the 1988 biopic of Charlie Parker). Why would a white guy be doing that? I was the only guy who made it, that's why. He could have gone ahead and made it. Instead he was making something else."

Eastwood's next project, The Human Factor, will be about Nelson Mandela's attempts to foster national unity in post-apartheid South Africa. Asked if he would remain historically accurate with depictions of the former president, he said: "I'm not going to make Nelson Mandela a white guy."
Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 PM

I love Eastwood... That IS a cheap shot from Spike Lee, Eastwood is pretty damn far from Racist using actors and friends like Morgan Freeman any chance he can. If he wasn't an equal-opportunity Director he wouldn't have used a Black character in "Unforgiven" like most Hollywood westerns tend to leave out, but that's not him.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 PM

The only way that Spike Lee can get any attention for his movie is to start shit. It is the same thing the Al Sharton and Jesse Jackson do. They play the race card so that someone will listen to them. Its sad and if I was black these so called leaders would piss me off. I want us to be able to truely move forward and that will never happen until a few years after the last race card has been played.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiequest View Post
I love Eastwood... That IS a cheap shot from Spike Lee, Eastwood is pretty damn far from Racist using actors and friends like Morgan Freeman any chance he can. If he wasn't an equal-opportunity Director he wouldn't have used a Black character in "Unforgiven" like most Hollywood westerns tend to leave out, but that's not him.
OH PLEASE! You're right on this one, why is he going after Eastwood for a World War II movie, rather then... oh... say the people who brought you the Bourne Trilogy. I don't remember many blacks in those movies (if any).
Old 06-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker4Life View Post
OH PLEASE! You're right on this one, why is he going after Eastwood for a World War II movie, rather then... oh... say the people who brought you the Bourne Trilogy. I don't remember many blacks in those movies (if any).
It takes a racist to even notice shit like that. I wasn't specifically looking for black men or women in those movies as I don't specifically look for whites, asians or jews... ever.. Race means fuckall to me and it's become a double standard.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
The only way that Spike Lee can get any attention for his movie is to start shit. It is the same thing the Al Sharton and Jesse Jackson do. They play the race card so that someone will listen to them. Its sad and if I was black these so called leaders would piss me off. I want us to be able to truely move forward and that will never happen until a few years after the last race card has been played.
They have to keep the "race card" alive, or they would be out of a job. It's "job security."
Old 06-06-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
It takes a racist to even notice shit like that. I wasn't specifically looking for black men or women in those movies as I don't specifically look for whites, asians or jews... ever.. Race means fuckall to me and it's become a double standard.
* Attention to detail was critical when I was a soldier!
* Attention to detail is critical in my current job.
* Attention to detail could save your life one day.
* Attention to detail don't make you a racist.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Clint's the man. He's an icon and a great director. Spike Lee can't get much publicity unless he makes provocative comments. I mean, really the last film he did 'Inside Man' was pretty good but, it was because he "shut his face"(like Clint said!) and didn't try to be "controversial" for once. Spike, this was "hip" in the late 80's when you did "Do the Right Thing" now it's just sad and lame.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 PM
O_o

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are very different, I believe Rev. Jackson is more respected and has done lots of good for the country.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 PM

Spike Lee is a racist moron. I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks pool is a racist game because you use a white ball to hit a black ball into a whole