Apple iPhone - are you sold? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Your Apple iPhone thoughts.
Looks sexy & the features rock, but it costs a lot. 3 17.65%
Looks sexy & the features rock, but 2 year Cingular plan sucks. 6 35.29%
Looks sexy & the features rock plus I can afford it! 4 23.53%
Looks sexy & the features rock, maybe someone will buy me one? 0 0%
Looks sexy, but the features it lacks and the cost hurt it. 2 11.76%
I don't think the phone "looks sexy". 0 0%
Touchscreen buttons suck and so does this phone. 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Default Apple iPhone - are you sold?

Okay I'm sure everyone has heard about the iPhone announced yesterday at MacWorld. What are your thoughts - do you think this will be as big as the ipod?

I saw this list posted elsewhere (can't remember where now) and it sums up some of the gripes I have:

- iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed.
- No 3G
- No expandable memory
- No removable battery
- No Exchange or Office support

Still it looks damn sexy though!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:34 AM

i am not sold until apple comes out with a 3G iphone.
Jared
Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 AM

The iphone capacity caps out at 8GB. Its a decent start but I have a 20GB ipod and have been wanting a larger one because I can't come close to fitting all my music on it.

I was hoping for a new regular ipod line but I might have to get an 80GB. I can get one for free with my AMEX rewards and sell my 20GB to my friend for $140
Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM

Also as for the no expandable memory thing, I think that is a good thing. Who the hell wants to carry around 20 1GB SD Cards in their pocket and try to remember what songs you have on what card.

Thats like going back to the days of cassettes!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:31 AM

I'm sold on it as a phone, not as an MP3 player. I'll be dumping my PPC 6700 phone come June for the iPhone, but holding onto my 80gb iPod for music storage & playback. Might end up using the iPhone for video playback because of the nicer screen, but if Apple releases a hard-drive based iPod with the iPhone screen & no phone features, I'll swap out the main iPod for that.

The only thing that would be a problem for me at this point is if I'm not able to tether the iPhone to my MacBook and use it as a broadband modem -- I can do this with my cell now via Bluetooth....

I'll be picking up an Apple TV is the iTunes store starts offering 720p movie downloads... if not, that $300 can go towards that LG combo player, assuming it doesn't suck.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:22 AM

Apple TV is a joke to me.

I've been streaming videos from PC for over a year with the Xbox.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Apple TV is a joke to me.

I've been streaming videos from PC for over a year with the Xbox.
I used to be able to do this with my PowerPC Mac and a system preference pane to a modded Xbox with XBMC, but the program no longer works now that I've moved to an Intel Mac and the author of the software doesn't seem to be supporting it any more. I have Connect360 for iTunes to the 360, but that only works with music and photos -- no video.

The AppleTV is a product aimed at the consumer market -- somthing you plug in and just works with iTunes. The vast majority of people out there aren't tech heads and don't know how to mod a game console or set up a media server on their computer. If it works as well as easily as the iTunes/iPod solution it's worth a look, but I'm not sold on it without 720p downloads from ITMS. It would also help if you're able to use it like an AirPort Express -- just select it as your output from iTunes and push the music to your receiver rather than having the TV on and using the Apple remote to control Front Row.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:04 PM

No broadband, then no way. Although I am sure this will change very quickley, and I assume apple will want other networks to pick it up soon as well.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:34 PM

im pretty sure this phones blows away anything on gods green earth. I dont think look at just the specs is a fair view on what it has to offer.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/keynote/

head here and watch the phone in action, then you decide on what this phone can really do.

My only problem is, ive been with Verizon for years and im happy. I would have no problem switching to cingular (although I did just buy the Chocolate on launch date and at the time, the phone was the best in terms of UI I had seen with no stupid menus but this phone makes my look like junk) but my problem is, all my friends are all on Verizon. So free calling, unlimited Texts and Pictures so going to Cingular is not a problem but then I would be screwing myself and friends in the long run
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 PM

I'll consider the iPhone in 2008. I have to decide it it is worth jumping from Verizon.

I do like what I see for a 1st generation product. Imagine this thing by generation 3 with GPS functionality and gobs of memory and huge battery life. I may as well begin to organize my life around this paradigm.