Ebay charging sales tax now - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default Ebay charging sales tax now

Looks like regulators got to ebay. They are now charging sales tax on purchases.
Sometimes it makes sense as these are brand new items being sold by commercial companies. Other times however these are private sellers and not new items. Sure, if you hold a yard sale that technically you are supposed to pay sales tax, but most yard salers don't and tax collectors overlook that.

What I find utter bullshit though is the tax cycle on a specific item, say "Exhibit A" -- let's say it is an item that gets sold and resold at least 3 more times. Sales tax is paid on that item 4 times. The money I am using to buy said item was also taxed on an income tax level as well. I just get a bit of anger inside from that. These taxes will not reduce my property taxes and I feel as though I am being squeezed constantly.
Even more fun to the mix, the last item I just bought on ebay was a vintage item from the 80's and it is coming out of CANADA. Imagine the tax stories this item could tell.

I highly doubt that ebay has a mechanism to NOT tax edibles such as regular non-junk food.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:04 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

To make it even worse, they are not putting sales tax into the same charge. So you get bank charges for the merchandise and then for the tax separately.