Satellite Radio - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Which HD Proponent Are You and Which Sat Radio Provider Do You Have?
I root for/own HD-DVD and I have XM. 2 14.29%
I root for/own Blu-Ray and I have XM. 2 14.29%
I root for/own HD-DVD and I have Sirius. 5 35.71%
I root for/own Blu-Ray and I have Sirius. 0 0%
I'm too busy watching movies to listen to radio! 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Pegasaur

Default Satellite Radio

So I'm wondering, how many of you have satellite radio and which one did you choose? I'm kinda wondering if there is a corellation between HD/BR proponents and their Sat Rad provider (XM or Sirius). Thanks for voting!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:15 PM

I either listen to my iPod or AM talk radio in the car... never saw the point of satrad.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:54 PM

I have two XM tuners. One that is a fixed install that I am able to shoot through my entire home and the other is going into my car this weekend for the drive to/from work.

I do watch TV/movies a fair bit, but when I'm working in the garage or in my basement, nothing beats the XM.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Talking

Pegasaur-
I've had Sirius in the car since 2004, when I uncle gave it to me because of Howard, knowing that he wouldn't be coming on 'til '06. I cannot live/drive without Sirius. Between Howard, Raw Dog, classic radio, Fangoria radio, all the music channels I love Sirius. I listen to it online at times too.

Anyway, My dad is equally as passionate about XM. Satellite radio rules and is worth it.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 PM

I've had Sirius since 2004. The decision was made solely because of the complete NFL coverage they provide. I was on the road every other Sunday at that time and didn't want to miss the games. We've also found the drive between Kansas and Colorado has some nearly radio-free zones, and the addition of a satellite radio like Sirius is great on those drives.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:23 PM

What you need is an option for "I listen to plenty of radio, but I will not pay for it" or similar. I had to pick "I am too busy" since it was the only non-satellite option available.

BTW, if you have not heard it yet, HD Radio is becoming widely available, and it is free (except for the radio itself). A JVC car stereo with built-in HD Radio is available for about US$150.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
What you need is an option for "I listen to plenty of radio, but I will not pay for it" or similar. I had to pick "I am too busy" since it was the only non-satellite option available.

BTW, if you have not heard it yet, HD Radio is becoming widely available, and it is free (except for the radio itself). A JVC car stereo with built-in HD Radio is available for about US$150.
Right, but what kind of different programming does it offer? Is it uncensored radio like on satellite or is it just supposed to sound better or what? Will there still be twenty commercials? In fairness, there are commercials on Howard, but not on any of the music stations on Sirius.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 AM

been with XM for about 3 years. Cannot go to regular radio at all. plus being able to record up to 5 hours on it is amazing. Plus I can take the kit between my car or home stereo and now with XM and Sirius, you can listen to them via the web so if your at work or somewhere else, log in and enjoy
Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Pegasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by John32 View Post
Satellite radio rules and is worth it.
I agree with you and several others on this thread that once you go Sat you never go back. I've had XM in my car since before Sirius was available and I couldn't go back to broadcast if I had to. The commercial free music is so critical to sanity on long trips -- especially if you have a cranky old car without an iPod jack -- and I like to be able to tune CNN when I want to know what's going on.

da5exx mentioned the must have feature of NFL games. I admit I was disappointed to miss out on Packer games when Sirius got the contract, but I really like to be able to tune into MLB games, as I am a fan of several non-Yankees teams and like to keep up with how badly they're doing this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

It didn't occur to me to offer the "I don't have it/won't get it" option since I was looking to see if there was a correlation between HD video choices and sat rad choices. I can see where you're coming from on the pay for service front though. Don Henley says that the airwaves are free and people are forgetting that as we continue to pay for video and audio services while broadcast goes downhill. One could argue that it's a chicken and egg kind of spiral I suppose, as we pay for services, the free part gets less attention and therefore less funding, and we don't like the product as much so we pay for something better.... so this HD radio sounds like a great option eh? Can you tell us whether the content you're getting on the HD radio worthy of the high-definition sound? I'd also be interested to find out if you can pick up in the highly deserted but widely travelled Colorado-to-Kansas route (which I am familiar with).
Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

We don't have satellite radio in the UK, the closest thing we have is called DAB and that's not perfect!