San Diego staying classy: "The Big Bay Boom", a tale of a July 4th fireworks fail - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Default San Diego staying classy: "The Big Bay Boom", a tale of a July 4th fireworks fail

It was a pretty shitty July 4th in San Diego this year anyway--overcast all day, in the low-to-mid-60s tempwise, with even some rain in the morning--but I don't think anyone expected the fireworks show to be such a disappointing dud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuJHfkXEI-o That right there gents is the sight and sound of over 1000 fireworks--the entire stockpile for what should have been a 15 minute show, synchronized at multiple locations--going off, basically, all at once.

15 minutes worth of fireworks in, roughy, 15 seconds.

more on the story from local news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2loUBX2YvA
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 PM

Gah! I hate local news personalities, "Extreme summer bummer." UGH!

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Gah! I hate local news personalities, "Extreme summer bummer." UGH!
It's basically a universal truth that local affiliates are all atrociously staffed. Unfortunately, CBS8 is debatably the "best" of the bunch here in SD.

FOX5 is basically "Anchorman" is real life; they even through a football around the studio the week they relaunched with their first female anchor (that is not a joke). The rest either look, sound or act like they're being broadcast on public access out of a basement a la Wayne's World (in the case of KUSI, our independent affiliate, that really isn't far from the truth) or are little better than that.

I'd say local San Diego news sucks in general--fun fact: our paper, the Union Tribune, is also one of the worst major market publications in the nation--but as someone with a degree in journalism and new media, I'll freely admit that all news, local or otherwise, pretty much blows these days.

...and I'm done.