More Households Using PCs and Consoles for Video - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 PM

Default More Households Using PCs and Consoles for Video

More Households Using PCs and Consoles for Video:

http://newsroom.parksassociates.com/...rticle_id=5232
Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Netflix says hi.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM

And once a greater portion of the population figures out just how convenient streaming is discs will be on their way out.

Last edited by MrBig; 03-31-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:03 PM

PS3MediaServer ftw!

I can't remember the last time I used my PS3 for gaming...
Old 03-31-2010, 07:08 PM

Welcome to like 5 years ago for me. I haven't used a DVD player or a cable box in atleast that many years.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
And once a greater portion of the population figures out just how convenient streaming is discs will be on their way out.
Until streaming quality catches up to disc quality, let's hope disc based media remains king. Streaming is okay for one-off viewings of content I probably don't want to own, but I want the movies I own to be the best quality I can get.

And then there's the fact that you have no ownership whatsoever with streaming. If streaming becomes the only way to view movies, you're dependent on your streaming source having the movie you want to watch and not yanking it out of rotation (either by their choice or the studio's choice). At least if I own the disc, I KNOW I'll have access to that movie whenever I wish.

For now, streaming is a nice supplement to discs, but I still have no confidence in it becoming the only way to access movies.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
Until streaming quality catches up to disc quality, let's hope disc based media remains king. Streaming is okay for one-off viewings of content I probably don't want to own, but I want the movies I own to be the best quality I can get.

And then there's the fact that you have no ownership whatsoever with streaming. If streaming becomes the only way to view movies, you're dependent on your streaming source having the movie you want to watch and not yanking it out of rotation (either by their choice or the studio's choice). At least if I own the disc, I KNOW I'll have access to that movie whenever I wish.

For now, streaming is a nice supplement to discs, but I still have no confidence in it becoming the only way to access movies.
HD streaming looks better than DVD. The sound is coming.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:30 AM

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe discs will go away completely for years but the day is coming and if history is any indicator it's going to be those "clunky" discs that go first (or at best get stripped down to the bones with all the rest of the content available online only). Certainly there's a lot that will have to ironed out first and infrastructure improvements are lonnnnnng overdue but if people are starting to figure out that they don't need an actual DVD player anymore it's not going to take long for people to realize they don't even need discs.

I just don't see many studios that are willing to invest heavily in disc based formats (hell, Blu-ray support continues to be complete crap from some studios after almost 4 years in), in fact I see support for discs growing tepid as the industry tries to nudge people to streaming or other download services. Not to mention that there is so, so much different hardware these days (cell phones, netbooks, consoles, pc's, ipods, notebooks, etc.) all vying for everyone's already limited time/budget that something has give and that something is inconvenience, otherwise known as discs.

Blu-ray is just a band-aid and the studios know it, if they're smart they'll use this window of time wisely. If not, well maybe they should go talk to the music industry and see how well pushing obsolete product worked out for them.

Last edited by MrBig; 04-01-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Streaming is the studios WET DREAM. They will totally be able to control the content.

I will be buying discs as long as I can.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Physical media for me always and forever and ever.

Twitter: @AaronPeck