Calculating High-Def Digest's "Overall Score" (A Small Change) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Default Calculating High-Def Digest's "Overall Score" (A Small Change)

FYI, we're making a slight change about how we calculate the Overall Score in our reviews and just wanted to let anyone interested know what's changing and why:

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...l-change/44278
Old 06-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

This makes sense to me and I have also been perplexed by some of the ratings in the past. In general I do not watch the special features on the average movie purchase. I do watch them on titles I truly enjoy or if they seem interesting to me.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 PM

I understand your justification for the special features change but I have to say special features absolutely influence my purchases. New special features or adding special features from a previous release to a new blu or 4K release decide whether I double dip nearly as much as improved video. I have also bought a movie that I wasnít super fond of merely to hear about behind the scenes stories from actors I enjoy. Based on what you stated, it appears that special features will still be covered by reviewers just as much as before, just given less weight. I can still work with that but Iím a big special features person. HDD has been and continues to be where I go for the scoop on stuff before buying so thanks a bunch!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:17 AM

I've never looked at the "total" score anyway. I look at the scores for each category. If I already own the movie, I'm interested in whether the PQ is better in the latest release. If it's not, as is often the case, I won't upgrade. Of course, if the latest version has a ton of extras that might influence my decision, then I might buy it. If I don't already own the film, then I might view each category differently. So this change really doesn't affect me. But I can understand the reason for the change.