Bumblebee 4K & Blu-ray - HDD Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-26-2019, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default Bumblebee 4K & Blu-ray - HDD Reviews

Anchored by a simple story about a pair of loners rescuing each other while saving the world, Travis Knight's Bumblebee surpasses all expectations with an excellent mix of intelligible robot action and a strong story starring Hailee Steinfeld and John Cena.

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (Dolby Vision / HDR10 + Dolby Atmos)

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/67...ahdbluray.html

Blu-ray (1080p + Dolby Atmos)

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/67957/bumblebee.html
Old 03-27-2019, 01:00 PM

Still disappointed that there won't a 3D release of this, but, I'll eventually pick up the regular blu-ray around the $15 (or less) mark. Not the absolute best Transformers movie in the series, but still very good. In my opinion,

1) Transformers: Dark of the Moon (4.5 out of 5)
2) Transformers (4 out of 5)
3) Transformers: Age of Extinction (4 out of 5)
4) Bumblebee (3.75 out of 5)
5) Transformers: The Last Knight (3.5 out of 5)
6) Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (1.5 out of 5)

Reading online, and it looks like Paramount is already working on sequels for both Bumblebee and Transformers: The Last Knight. Can't wait!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:10 PM

"Thankfully, Knight and his team demonstrate there still remains some spark in the engine, that there are just enough salvageable parts to rebuild a standalone vehicle with plenty of muscle under the hood." I see what you did there LOL

Thanks Professor! This looked intriguing when I saw the trailers, but having suffered through sooooooo many crappy versions, I just wasn't going to drop money to see this. Glad to see I may have been wrong. Need to pick this one up!
Old 03-27-2019, 03:18 PM

I was really surprised by this one, but I also suggest walking in with low expectations. And as a fan of the original cartoon series, I loved seeing the references to Soundwave, Ravage and Shockwave, which is pic #3 in the UHD review.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 03-27-2019, 04:03 PM

Oh man! I didn't even look close at the screenshots!!! Now I'm excited! Soundwave was my favorite character (along with Ravage and LaserBeak)...maybe right behind Bumblebee...but based on my toy collection, I'd say Shockwave was the fave (also recently bought the 3D metal art of Shockwave).

Yes, also a HUGE fan of the cartoon series; this, GI Joe, and Robotech highlighted my afternoons after school for quite some time.

Good advice though...I will go in with lower expectations. But I also have enjoyed Steinfeld in the few movies I've seen her in, so hopefully, this will be a pleasant surprise.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyb37 View Post
Oh man! I didn't even look close at the screenshots!!! Now I'm excited! Soundwave was my favorite character (along with Ravage and LaserBeak)...maybe right behind Bumblebee...but based on my toy collection, I'd say Shockwave was the fave (also recently bought the 3D metal art of Shockwave).

Yes, also a HUGE fan of the cartoon series; this, GI Joe, and Robotech highlighted my afternoons after school for quite some time.

Good advice though...I will go in with lower expectations. But I also have enjoyed Steinfeld in the few movies I've seen her in, so hopefully, this will be a pleasant surprise.
Yep you will need lower expectations because those guys mentioned are in the film about 5 minutes total.....most of this movie is the girl dealing with life and finding Bumblebee and befriending him to then help him escape from the crazy military we have. Its really the same movie we've seen a ton of times and not enough Transformers interaction or action, there is some towards the end but even the Decepticons that come after Bee arent anyone that we know, it really was a missed opportunity, its certainly way better than stuff like Revenge of the Fallen or The Last Knight but I still think Dark of the Moon and the original Transformers are better
Old 03-28-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Yep you will need lower expectations because those guys mentioned are in the film about 5 minutes total.....most of this movie is the girl dealing with life and finding Bumblebee and befriending him to then help him escape from the crazy military we have. Its really the same movie we've seen a ton of times and not enough Transformers interaction or action, there is some towards the end but even the Decepticons that come after Bee arent anyone that we know, it really was a missed opportunity, its certainly way better than stuff like Revenge of the Fallen or The Last Knight but I still think Dark of the Moon and the original Transformers are better
Good advice and I'll lower the expectations...and I guess I need to try Dark of the Moon again...maybe I was just in a crappy mood that day. But that is one of the very rare movies I just stopped playing after about an hour or so and promptly returned to Redbox. May be confusing it with one of the other Transformers movies, but I think it was this one that made my head actually hurt due to the amount of eye-rolling I was doing. But I've done that before...HATED a movie then re-visited it later and liked it OK.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
...most of this movie is the girl dealing with life and finding Bumblebee and befriending him to then help him escape from the crazy military we have. Its really the same movie we've seen a ton of times and not enough Transformers interaction or action,....
For anyone still unsure of Bumblebee, best to think of it as a live-action remake of the animated film The Iron Giant. I'd say it's about 75% Iron Giant feel, 25% Transformers feel. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but yes, just keep your expectations in check.

I think part of the problem was that since The Last Knight under-performed at the box office, Paramount didn't want to put a huge heap of money into the Bumblebee movie, so basically the budget was slashed in half. But even with a budget of $100+ million, I expected a bit more action. I was reading an article last week that interviewed Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, and he said he wanted to see some more "Bayhem" in the future sequels, so expect Bumblebee 2 to be a bit more action packed.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
For anyone still unsure of Bumblebee, best to think of it as a live-action remake of the animated film The Iron Giant. I'd say it's about 75% Iron Giant feel, 25% Transformers feel. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but yes, just keep your expectations in check.

I think part of the problem was that since The Last Knight under-performed at the box office, Paramount didn't want to put a huge heap of money into the Bumblebee movie, so basically the budget was slashed in half. But even with a budget of $100+ million, I expected a bit more action. I was reading an article last week that interviewed Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, and he said he wanted to see some more "Bayhem" in the future sequels, so expect Bumblebee 2 to be a bit more action packed.
I'm all for that, more Bayhem is a good thing, just give me that without the script though. Now I'm actually a fan of most of the Transformers movies (Revenge of the Fallen though.....its hard to get through) as I'm easy to please when it comes to action and Bay has filmed some of my all time favorite action sequences, but if we can just get that without the horrible characters and writing, I think we would be good.

But yes, this is a Transformers Iron Giant and that isnt a bad thing per say. I liked the characters far more in this but you really have seen it before and that really let me down, I just want more Transformers and for them to take pages from the animated show or definitely the animated movie, more
Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 AM

Bayhem is ok as long it's not Michael Bay doing them.

Can't wait to see this.