Bumblebee 4K & Blu-ray - HDD Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2019, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,792
Default Bumblebee 4K & Blu-ray - HDD Reviews

Anchored by a simple story about a pair of loners rescuing each other while saving the world, Travis Knight's Bumblebee surpasses all expectations with an excellent mix of intelligible robot action and a strong story starring Hailee Steinfeld and John Cena.

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (Dolby Vision / HDR10 + Dolby Atmos)

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/67...ahdbluray.html

Blu-ray (1080p + Dolby Atmos)

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/67957/bumblebee.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-27-2019, 01:00 PM
theHDphantom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,417
Default

Still disappointed that there won't a 3D release of this, but, I'll eventually pick up the regular blu-ray around the $15 (or less) mark. Not the absolute best Transformers movie in the series, but still very good. In my opinion,

1) Transformers: Dark of the Moon (4.5 out of 5)
2) Transformers (4 out of 5)
3) Transformers: Age of Extinction (4 out of 5)
4) Bumblebee (3.75 out of 5)
5) Transformers: The Last Knight (3.5 out of 5)
6) Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (1.5 out of 5)

Reading online, and it looks like Paramount is already working on sequels for both Bumblebee and Transformers: The Last Knight. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2019, 02:10 PM
skinnyb37's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 187
Default

"Thankfully, Knight and his team demonstrate there still remains some spark in the engine, that there are just enough salvageable parts to rebuild a standalone vehicle with plenty of muscle under the hood." I see what you did there LOL

Thanks Professor! This looked intriguing when I saw the trailers, but having suffered through sooooooo many crappy versions, I just wasn't going to drop money to see this. Glad to see I may have been wrong. Need to pick this one up!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2019, 03:18 PM
eNoize's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,605
Default

I was really surprised by this one, but I also suggest walking in with low expectations. And as a fan of the original cartoon series, I loved seeing the references to Soundwave, Ravage and Shockwave, which is pic #3 in the UHD review.
__________________
M. Enois Duarte
High-Def Digest Contributor
Hi-Def Collection
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-27-2019, 04:03 PM
skinnyb37's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 187
Default

Oh man! I didn't even look close at the screenshots!!! Now I'm excited! Soundwave was my favorite character (along with Ravage and LaserBeak)...maybe right behind Bumblebee...but based on my toy collection, I'd say Shockwave was the fave (also recently bought the 3D metal art of Shockwave).

Yes, also a HUGE fan of the cartoon series; this, GI Joe, and Robotech highlighted my afternoons after school for quite some time.

Good advice though...I will go in with lower expectations. But I also have enjoyed Steinfeld in the few movies I've seen her in, so hopefully, this will be a pleasant surprise.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyb37 View Post
Oh man! I didn't even look close at the screenshots!!! Now I'm excited! Soundwave was my favorite character (along with Ravage and LaserBeak)...maybe right behind Bumblebee...but based on my toy collection, I'd say Shockwave was the fave (also recently bought the 3D metal art of Shockwave).

Yes, also a HUGE fan of the cartoon series; this, GI Joe, and Robotech highlighted my afternoons after school for quite some time.

Good advice though...I will go in with lower expectations. But I also have enjoyed Steinfeld in the few movies I've seen her in, so hopefully, this will be a pleasant surprise.
Yep you will need lower expectations because those guys mentioned are in the film about 5 minutes total.....most of this movie is the girl dealing with life and finding Bumblebee and befriending him to then help him escape from the crazy military we have. Its really the same movie we've seen a ton of times and not enough Transformers interaction or action, there is some towards the end but even the Decepticons that come after Bee arent anyone that we know, it really was a missed opportunity, its certainly way better than stuff like Revenge of the Fallen or The Last Knight but I still think Dark of the Moon and the original Transformers are better
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-28-2019, 04:40 PM
skinnyb37's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Yep you will need lower expectations because those guys mentioned are in the film about 5 minutes total.....most of this movie is the girl dealing with life and finding Bumblebee and befriending him to then help him escape from the crazy military we have. Its really the same movie we've seen a ton of times and not enough Transformers interaction or action, there is some towards the end but even the Decepticons that come after Bee arent anyone that we know, it really was a missed opportunity, its certainly way better than stuff like Revenge of the Fallen or The Last Knight but I still think Dark of the Moon and the original Transformers are better
Good advice and I'll lower the expectations...and I guess I need to try Dark of the Moon again...maybe I was just in a crappy mood that day. But that is one of the very rare movies I just stopped playing after about an hour or so and promptly returned to Redbox. May be confusing it with one of the other Transformers movies, but I think it was this one that made my head actually hurt due to the amount of eye-rolling I was doing. But I've done that before...HATED a movie then re-visited it later and liked it OK.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-2019, 11:35 AM
theHDphantom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
...most of this movie is the girl dealing with life and finding Bumblebee and befriending him to then help him escape from the crazy military we have. Its really the same movie we've seen a ton of times and not enough Transformers interaction or action,....
For anyone still unsure of Bumblebee, best to think of it as a live-action remake of the animated film The Iron Giant. I'd say it's about 75% Iron Giant feel, 25% Transformers feel. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but yes, just keep your expectations in check.

I think part of the problem was that since The Last Knight under-performed at the box office, Paramount didn't want to put a huge heap of money into the Bumblebee movie, so basically the budget was slashed in half. But even with a budget of $100+ million, I expected a bit more action. I was reading an article last week that interviewed Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, and he said he wanted to see some more "Bayhem" in the future sequels, so expect Bumblebee 2 to be a bit more action packed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
For anyone still unsure of Bumblebee, best to think of it as a live-action remake of the animated film The Iron Giant. I'd say it's about 75% Iron Giant feel, 25% Transformers feel. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but yes, just keep your expectations in check.

I think part of the problem was that since The Last Knight under-performed at the box office, Paramount didn't want to put a huge heap of money into the Bumblebee movie, so basically the budget was slashed in half. But even with a budget of $100+ million, I expected a bit more action. I was reading an article last week that interviewed Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, and he said he wanted to see some more "Bayhem" in the future sequels, so expect Bumblebee 2 to be a bit more action packed.
I'm all for that, more Bayhem is a good thing, just give me that without the script though. Now I'm actually a fan of most of the Transformers movies (Revenge of the Fallen though.....its hard to get through) as I'm easy to please when it comes to action and Bay has filmed some of my all time favorite action sequences, but if we can just get that without the horrible characters and writing, I think we would be good.

But yes, this is a Transformers Iron Giant and that isnt a bad thing per say. I liked the characters far more in this but you really have seen it before and that really let me down, I just want more Transformers and for them to take pages from the animated show or definitely the animated movie, more
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Boston007's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11,210
Default

Bayhem is ok as long it's not Michael Bay doing them.

Can't wait to see this.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off