The Karate Kid 4K - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 PM

Default The Karate Kid 4K - HDD Review

Celebrating thirty-five years since its original theatrical release, John G. Avildsen's The Karate Kid remains one of the best underdog sports drama ever. Featuring memorable performances by Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita, the film is an intelligent and inspiring coming of age tale about discovering that the journey to success is just as rewarding as the final result. The classic 1984 martial arts drama enters the Ultra HD tournament with a beautiful HDR10 presentation, a satisfying Dolby Atmos soundtrack, and one brand-new featurette, making the overall package Recommended for the whole family.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/69...ahdbluray.html
Old 02-06-2019, 08:12 PM

Nice. Oh how I've grown to absolutely love this classic over the years.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Updated thread. 4K review is LIVE!
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 PM

Not really sure why Sony didn't bother to release this here in Canada. Ah well. I ended up buying the Karate Kid Blu-ray Collection (Italian import) for under $19 Cdn. Didn't have any of the sequels yet on blu-ray, so this set seemed to be the way to go, especially after reading the Mill Creek double feature blu-ray of 3 and 4 was pretty lousy.

I might still pick up this UHD version sometime down the road if I ever see it on eBay for $10 or less.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:39 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

This is a good movie, even on its own to merit a purchase. I hate the inevitable possible double-dip if they decide to do the sequels, but I cannot let that hold me back as, like I have said, this is a good movie.
Thus far I have been very pleased with Sony's catalog efforts on 4K releases. Of course they have been from the film era so they have something to work with any way instead of just an upscale.
This one seems a rarity as the review indicates it unlocks the 4K digital stream as well. Again, has Sony changed policy and decided to do this moving forward, and anything redeemed in the past 6 months is stuck ad FHD instead?
Old 04-19-2019, 02:53 PM

SWEEP THE LEG!

I was in love with Elisabeth Shue. Still am I guess haha
Old 04-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post

I was in love with Elisabeth Shue. Still am I guess haha
Speaking of her.....

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/69499/link.html
Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post

Never saw it. Decent?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Never saw it. Decent?
How do I reply to this while remaining on-topic with Karate Kid review. I guess I don't know!
Oh wait, how bout this... Rotten Tomatoes Scores:
Karate Kid (1984) - 88%
Link - 29%
So no, not really the same audiences. Obvious choice between both movies would be Karate Kid. If your a Shue completionist I guess you gotta get em both though. I have enjoyed a lot of low scoring movies and hated a lot of high scoring ones. Each person decides what to like about each I guess.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:23 PM

Speaking of Karate Kid, the Second Season of Cobra Kai will be released on YouTube Premium on 4/24. I'm a big fan of the show. It's the best reboot in years and one of the best ever. I'll probably binge watch all 10 episodes this coming weekend.