The Lion King 4K - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Default The Lion King 4K - HDD Review

I've lost track of how many times The Lion King has been released on home video. From VHS to LaserDisc, DVD, Blu-ray, and 3D Blu-ray, here we are returning to the Pride Lands in 4K with a new Ultra HD HDR10 video transfer, Dolby Atmos surround, the same special features from last year's Signature Edition Blu-ray, and a 4K Digital Copy code for access to a Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos streaming version as well as all of the bonus materials from the Platinum & Diamond Edition releases. But is it worth the sextuple-dip? Let's find out.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/64...ahdbluray.html
Old 12-07-2018, 09:54 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

First time I bought this movie was on Laserdisc. I opted for the $80 CAV version. As a video enthusiast I was very disappointed with the picture quality as the disc was riddled with dropouts. I finally got the CLV version and truly enjoyed this movie. So much so I wish I had seen it theatrically. Like Palmer says, the kid in me, and so on.

All I got to say about the DV version yet again being a streaming only option. F YOU DISNEY. Although the DV metadata itself might be an improvement, the overall bitrate will never match the physical disc, so you gain one thing but lose another. How dare they continue this trend with my all time favorite Disney animated release. BASTARDS.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Unless you really, REALLY need that atmos soundtrack, you might as well just stick with the regular blu-ray.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...7&l=0&i=0&go=1

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...4&l=0&i=3&go=1

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x...6&l=0&i=5&go=1
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Am strongly considering submitting a complaint to Disney (all the good it will do) - but if they get enough complaints maybe they will give us the DV version on disc or revisit their reduced color/reduced gamma version known as HDR and correct the issue. I do see it as an issue. The allure that I have come to know as The Lion King (the wow factor color pallet) is fizzled with this release.

Last edited by IBJoel; 12-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:37 AM

Does the 4K, and does the BD it come with, have the fixed cloud scene that the most recent BD release had?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:46 AM

Oh man i got to get this for Christmas! i enjoyed this one since i was 12 seeing it 4 times in theaters.