Superman: The Movie 4K - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Default Superman: The Movie 4K - HDD Review

In 1978, the Man of Steel made audiences around the world believe a man could fly in Richard Donner's Superman, thanks to Christopher Reeve's iconic-making performance and Gene Hackman's memorable role as Lex Luther. Celebrating the film's 40th Anniversary, Warner Home Video brings the classic film to 4K Ultra HD with a stunning Dolby Vision HDR presentation, a reference-quality Dolby Atmos soundtrack and the same set of supplements as the Blu-ray. Overall, the UHD package is Must Own!

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/61...ahdbluray.html
Old 11-17-2018, 11:18 PM

Is the included blu-ray remastered as well, or is it the same blu-ray as before?
Old 11-18-2018, 11:38 AM

It's the same Blu-ray from the Anthology box set, as far as I could tell. The screengrabs in the review are from the accompanying BD.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 11-19-2018, 09:19 AM

Amazing itís such an improvement, looking forward to picking it up at $10.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Daniel Lee, would you share your thoughts about this release? Your thoroughness in this review:
https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/515...ollection.html
was, should be said, super!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
Daniel Lee, would you share your thoughts about this release? Your thoroughness in this review:
https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/515...ollection.html
was, should be said, super!
Only two months late with this response!

In general, the review by Mr. Duarte is dead-on. I am finally glad to see SUPERMAN looking and sounding as good as it can be. There is no doubt that the grain may startle those who are used to seeing a clean, anti-septic picture, but I appreciate all the fine details and its overall look which makes Donner's film feel epic.

Because I have yet to upgrade to Dolby Atmos, I am working on getting the additional channels installed and an upgraded receiver to enjoy the improvement. In the meantime, the original six track in Dolby Digital is a delight, and a significant improvement over the generic stereo tracks found on the Blu-rays.

I would love a release of the "3 Hour Version" in 4k with all the music and sound restored in high definition, multi-track surround, but you can't have everything...for now. SUPERMAN is one of those movies which is appreciated, yet underrated when it comes to fantasy blockbusters of the 1970s. It's good to have it preserved in 4k in "near mint" condition.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 AM

Still the best Superman movie