Audio & Video source questions ??? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2018, 06:03 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,626
Default Audio & Video source questions ???

Would like to hear some data and opinions related to this statement. The final product is generally only as good as its source, right?

AUDIO: With that being said, lossless audio probably exceeds the original quality of the source in MANY MANY cases. Old movies, weren't they recorded a lot of times on analog tapes? How about movies from the 50's? Newer movies, circa 2005 or so that were shot on digital cameras, were they pretty much 16-bit 48Khz?

VIDEO: And for the video portion - we've seen that many situations the break down in the process for newer movies is the 2K DI, even to this day. Then there's the early digital cameras that typically were not much beyond full HD.
HDR10 or DV -- Digital studio cameras typically do not sample color any differently than cameras on the consumer level, do they? So how do you get HDR10 or DV from such a source? Old movies shot on film, we are at the mercy of the film stock but I know we can still run an expanded color gamut on that much easier than a digital camera that shoots on an 8-bit level. Is there a certain "Ted Turner" aspect to HDR10? I mean by that, when he colorized movies, are we fabricating the HDR10 with a computer?

I know we have chroma sampling - 422, 420, 442, 444, and so on. Where does this come into play?
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
AUDIO: With that being said, lossless audio probably exceeds the original quality of the source in MANY MANY cases. Old movies, weren't they recorded a lot of times on analog tapes? How about movies from the 50's? Newer movies, circa 2005 or so that were shot on digital cameras, were they pretty much 16-bit 48Khz?
Movies prior to around the early 1990s were recorded on analog tapes and printed onto magnetic stock for mixing. Much like with film on the video portion, those tapes and mag stock do not have an exact digital equivalent. That means that they don't have a hard cut-off limit the way digital does and, in a sense, can be considered higher resolution. However, they may have other limitations, such as a higher noise floor and/or hiss.

When digitizing an old movie soundtrack today, it's beneficial to oversample as much as possible in order to capture whatever audio detail is on there.

Quote:
HDR10 or DV -- Digital studio cameras typically do not sample color any differently than cameras on the consumer level, do they?
Professional digital cinema cameras record in RAW format, which may have a wider color gamut and more contrast range than consumer cameras. But not all do, especially not the ones from the early days of digital cinematography.

Quote:
So how do you get HDR10 or DV from such a source? Old movies shot on film, we are at the mercy of the film stock but I know we can still run an expanded color gamut on that much easier than a digital camera that shoots on an 8-bit level. Is there a certain "Ted Turner" aspect to HDR10? I mean by that, when he colorized movies, are we fabricating the HDR10 with a computer?
Basically, yes. In order to release them on UHD, these movies are being re-graded from scratch. Sometimes this brings out detail captured in the raw photography that didn't transfer to the old DCP master, but often it's straight-up revisionism to make the movies look brighter or contrastier or more saturated than they did originally.
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 13,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Basically, yes. In order to release them on UHD, these movies are being re-graded from scratch. Sometimes this brings out detail captured in the raw photography that didn't transfer to the old DCP master, but often it's straight-up revisionism to make the movies look brighter or contrastier or more saturated than they did originally.
Thanks, was hoping you would weigh in, you're in the know as far as the industry technology.
So this part of it is more or less digital tinkering or manipulation?
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Josh Z's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
So this part of it is more or less digital tinkering or manipulation?
In my opinion, yes. That's not to say it can't look good, however.
__________________
Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2018, 11:11 PM
Plissken99's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,521
Default

I was at Cedia the year HDR hit.. I spoke to the representative from LG, as he put it ‘these are interesting times, HDR is like introducing bass and treble adjustments to video, we’re free to make it look how we think looks best’. That sentiment made me very skeptical for a long while, but with new generations it’s goten easier to find what looks right, and by and large the results are great.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 or more Video Source output Receiver with 3d source Audio? Simón Bolívar Home Theater Gear 5 02-21-2013 10:41 PM
'Source Code' & 'Source Code / Knowing' are coming July 26 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 10 06-23-2011 12:17 PM
Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K 7-Channel A/V Receiver mutes audio when source video is off Claymorb Home Theater Gear 6 08-03-2010 07:58 AM
Sony Sapphire 5 vs Panasonic DMP BD-50 - Have video/audio questions, need help!!!!! Ironman24_7 Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 10 01-25-2008 12:38 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off