Audio & Video source questions ??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-23-2018, 06:03 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default Audio & Video source questions ???

Would like to hear some data and opinions related to this statement. The final product is generally only as good as its source, right?

AUDIO: With that being said, lossless audio probably exceeds the original quality of the source in MANY MANY cases. Old movies, weren't they recorded a lot of times on analog tapes? How about movies from the 50's? Newer movies, circa 2005 or so that were shot on digital cameras, were they pretty much 16-bit 48Khz?

VIDEO: And for the video portion - we've seen that many situations the break down in the process for newer movies is the 2K DI, even to this day. Then there's the early digital cameras that typically were not much beyond full HD.
HDR10 or DV -- Digital studio cameras typically do not sample color any differently than cameras on the consumer level, do they? So how do you get HDR10 or DV from such a source? Old movies shot on film, we are at the mercy of the film stock but I know we can still run an expanded color gamut on that much easier than a digital camera that shoots on an 8-bit level. Is there a certain "Ted Turner" aspect to HDR10? I mean by that, when he colorized movies, are we fabricating the HDR10 with a computer?

I know we have chroma sampling - 422, 420, 442, 444, and so on. Where does this come into play?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
AUDIO: With that being said, lossless audio probably exceeds the original quality of the source in MANY MANY cases. Old movies, weren't they recorded a lot of times on analog tapes? How about movies from the 50's? Newer movies, circa 2005 or so that were shot on digital cameras, were they pretty much 16-bit 48Khz?
Movies prior to around the early 1990s were recorded on analog tapes and printed onto magnetic stock for mixing. Much like with film on the video portion, those tapes and mag stock do not have an exact digital equivalent. That means that they don't have a hard cut-off limit the way digital does and, in a sense, can be considered higher resolution. However, they may have other limitations, such as a higher noise floor and/or hiss.

When digitizing an old movie soundtrack today, it's beneficial to oversample as much as possible in order to capture whatever audio detail is on there.

Quote:
HDR10 or DV -- Digital studio cameras typically do not sample color any differently than cameras on the consumer level, do they?
Professional digital cinema cameras record in RAW format, which may have a wider color gamut and more contrast range than consumer cameras. But not all do, especially not the ones from the early days of digital cinematography.

Quote:
So how do you get HDR10 or DV from such a source? Old movies shot on film, we are at the mercy of the film stock but I know we can still run an expanded color gamut on that much easier than a digital camera that shoots on an 8-bit level. Is there a certain "Ted Turner" aspect to HDR10? I mean by that, when he colorized movies, are we fabricating the HDR10 with a computer?
Basically, yes. In order to release them on UHD, these movies are being re-graded from scratch. Sometimes this brings out detail captured in the raw photography that didn't transfer to the old DCP master, but often it's straight-up revisionism to make the movies look brighter or contrastier or more saturated than they did originally.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Basically, yes. In order to release them on UHD, these movies are being re-graded from scratch. Sometimes this brings out detail captured in the raw photography that didn't transfer to the old DCP master, but often it's straight-up revisionism to make the movies look brighter or contrastier or more saturated than they did originally.
Thanks, was hoping you would weigh in, you're in the know as far as the industry technology.
So this part of it is more or less digital tinkering or manipulation?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
So this part of it is more or less digital tinkering or manipulation?
In my opinion, yes. That's not to say it can't look good, however.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:11 PM

I was at Cedia the year HDR hit.. I spoke to the representative from LG, as he put it ‘these are interesting times, HDR is like introducing bass and treble adjustments to video, we’re free to make it look how we think looks best’. That sentiment made me very skeptical for a long while, but with new generations it’s goten easier to find what looks right, and by and large the results are great.