Solo: A Star Wars Story - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Default Solo: A Star Wars Story - HDD Review

With a new Star Wars installment hitting screens on a yearly basis, it was inevitable Disney would shoot for the stars and miss, and Ron Howard's Solo: A Star Wars Story is, for me at least, that movie. Preoccupied with allusions surrounding the myth of Han Solo, the sci-fi western is a fun watch to be sure, but it ultimately feels like empty, boastful spectacle.

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (HDR10 + Dolby Atmos)

The boastful anti-hero barges into 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray with a lackluster HDR10 presentation, a mediocre Dolby Atmos soundtrack, and a small but decently entertaining set of supplements. For Fans Only.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/60...ahdbluray.html

Blu-ray (1080p + 7.1 DTS-HD MA)

The boastful anti-hero barges onto Blu-ray with an excellent audio and video presentation and a small but decently entertaining set of supplements, making the overall package Worth a Look.

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/607...warsstory.html
Old 09-21-2018, 12:31 AM

For fans only? Ha, this is the most boring Star Wars film ever. It makes The Phantom Menace look like a masterpice.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:44 AM

I did not see this in the theater. My son saw it and said he liked it. He's a big Star Wars fan, but he's only 22 years old. He likes the prequels, so . . .

I pre-ordered this from Disney Movie Club, but it has not yet arrived. If it arrives today then I'll probably watch it tonight. The price to own was less then what it would cost me to go to the theater to watch it with someone else. So even if I hate it I won't be out any money. And, knowing me, I'd want to buy it anyway just to have it in my collection.

I should add that I ordered the Blu-Ray, not the UHD. I've yet to jump on the 4K/UHD bandwagon.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
For fans only? Ha, this is the most boring Star Wars film ever. It makes The Phantom Menace look like a masterpice.
Now that's just cruel and IMNSHO opinion quite inaccurate.
While I don't consider it a jewel, in a thumbs up/down it's a thumbs up and was an enjoyable watch for me and one I'll add to my collection despite its flaws and the fact that it could have been better.

However I'm glad that it's helped them understand they don't need a movie every year.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:15 AM

Nah, it's not cruel, it's true. The only bad Star Wars movie is a boring one and Solo was beyond boring. None of the characters were remotely interesting, the humor was off at times (like that droid rebellion), and Glover was the only one who was actually putting effort into his performance. Everyone else did the bare minimum.

Now I do agree about it helping Disney understand they don't need a SW movie every year. Every two years is fine.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

On the disc itself, we getting the standard Disney treatment? HDR10 on disc, DV on streaming? It's been over a year now and I still remember Disney saying at the time that putting DV on disc was a challenge, but yet other studios seem to be doing it, thus, LAME excuse.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Added the Blu-ray review to the OP: https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/607...warsstory.html

And, yes, Krawk, it's HDR10 on the disc, DV & HDR10 are available on streaming.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:19 PM

The Disney Star Wars films have all been rather meh - bad. At times, putting the prequels to the test on awfulness and just sheer "not get it."

However, I think if you are able to get past the first 30 minutes of Solo, the rest of the film is the closest any of the other Disney efforts have gotten to feeling like "Star Wars." Doesn't make it a great film. Not at all.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 PM

Well it was better than Last Jedi.. but thatís saying very little. Boring is not a bad way to describe it.. like the reviewer points out, it goes through events like a check list. Almost gives it the same blandness you expect when watching a documentary.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Nah, The Last Jedi may have been flawed, but it was still far better than Solo and the prequel trilogy. Not to mention better than The Force Awakens. It's better acted, it tried to do something new with the franchise, hey much better comedy that didn't feel forced in, better cinematography, and better characters. Not to mention it gave Luke a glorious end. One of its major problems is just that the First Order is uninspiring. They pose no threat. We know absolutely nothing about them nor how they even came into power. There's too much arguing amongst their ranks that they come off as immature children holding a liquor store hostage rather than an empire trying to rule an entire universe.

Of course, that is still better than the cardboard cut outs that were in Solo.