Predator & Predator 3-Film Collection 4K - HDD Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Default Predator & Predator 3-Film Collection 4K - HDD Reviews

Predator 4K

At 31 years old, Predator hasn't lost a step. Schwarzenegger's takedown of an intergalactic hunter remains one of the best sci-fi/action/horror mashups to ever reach movie screens. 20th Century Fox gives Predator a much-needed update for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, producing the very best presentation this film has yet enjoyed on home video. Gone is the dreaded DNR, leaving behind a beautiful (for this film), detailed image with smartly effective HDR10. The same DTS-HD MA 5.1 mix is recycled here, but it's still thunderingly effective. Recommended for fans who don't want to buy the 3-film Collection.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/60...ahdbluray.html

3-Film Collection: 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

20th Century Fox does right by fans with the Predator 3-Film Collection, bringing together Predator, Predator 2, and Predators in a nice neat and stylish 4K package. From Schwarzenegger to Glover to Brody, each installment offers a fun spin on the same story about a group of humans being killed off one by invisible, intergalactic trophy hunters. Both Predator and Predator 2 benefit greatly from their 4K/HDR10 presentations, while Predators enjoys only a modest uptick in visual quality. Audio mixes remain the same for all three films, for better or worse. If you're a fan of the franchise, this package at this price point is an easy one to call Recommended.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/61...ahdbluray.html

3-Movie Collection: Blu-ray

When you need six hours of gory intergalactic mayhem, few franchises can deliver the goods quite like Predator, Predator 2, and Predators. Debuting ahead of the theatrical release of Shane Black's The Predator, this 3-Film Blu-ray Collection from 20th Century Fox is perfect for any fan... IF you don't already own any of the films on Blu-ray and you don't mind dealing with old transfers we'll describe below. Yes, outside of its sub-$20 pricing and included Digital HD codes, there's nothing actually new about the discs in this set. Skip It, unless you don't already own and/or want the digital codes which are, for some reason, more expensive to buy directly from places like iTunes & Vudu.

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/606...lefeature.html
Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 PM

Pretty lame how studios like Fox don't "upgrade" the regular blu-ray disc to the new 4K transfer as well, but will still re-release the film on blu-ray with the old disc, but with new artwork to try to trick people that it's a new disc inside.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the reviews! Gonna dig into these this weekend.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
Pretty lame how studios like Fox don't "upgrade" the regular blu-ray disc to the new 4K transfer as well, but will still re-release the film on blu-ray with the old disc, but with new artwork to try to trick people that it's a new disc inside.
That's utter bullshit. I have no reason to buy this release now because it's going to be at least another 2-3 years before I dive into 4K. As such, the BD being the same shitty ass disc I already own defies the whole point of even buying this now.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Added our thoughts on the 3-Movie Blu-ray Collection, which is an awful repackaging no one should buy unless they want cheap Digital HD codes.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
That's utter bullshit. I have no reason to buy this release now because it's going to be at least another 2-3 years before I dive into 4K. As such, the BD being the same shitty ass disc I already own defies the whole point of even buying this now.
I've been on the fence about getting one of those nice Panasonic 4K UHD players, just for my 1080p projector. With studios pulling off nonsense like this Predator set, it's practically forcing me to buy one now. I want a nice looking Predator disc to replace that awful Hunter Edition blu-ray. Looks like I'm going to have to buy this 4K player sooner rather than later now.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:52 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
Fox has been pretty lame for 4K in general. The codes for 4K discs do not redeem in 4K, the Vudu combos that allow you to watch now, get the disc later, you buy the 4K digital release and get the regular BD release. But you're right - Warner Bros at least releases an upgraded BD when they do they rereleases, Fox, despite knowing their previous BD looked like crap, they still choose to release the same disc.

On a side note - Walmart has a movie cube at the front checkouts and one side of it is devoted to Predator, ZERO space is devoted to the 4K release, which is the whole purpose of this rerelease to begin with!
Old 08-09-2018, 09:39 AM

FYI the code for the Predator trilogy redeemed to 4K with MoviesAnywhere.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:26 PM

You got 4K? On Vudu and Fandango it only gave me HD - my iTunes account says its in 4K but I dont have an Apple TV rig yet
Old 08-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Not sure what I can watch digital copies in 4K on, I’ve only got Vudu, Amazon and Google Play. But when I did the code on MoviesAnywhere it said “redeemed at 4K”. Unlike Murder on the Orient Express, which only redeemed to HD. 😡