Hostiles 4K & HD - HDD Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Default Hostiles 4K & HD - HDD Reviews

David says Scott Cooper's Hostiles is "a well-made motion picture, but I had trouble connecting to it. The characters feel too remote, the mood is too somber (I don’t think Bale cracks a single smile during the whole movie), and the entire enterprise exudes an off-putting air of self-importance. Bale is a very good actor, but his work here is overly studied and mechanical."

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/57...ahdbluray.html

Blu-ray

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/57152/hostiles.html
Old 05-02-2018, 08:13 AM

David, thanks for the great review, as usual.
I am VERY interested in this movie because I loved westerns and I really like Bale and Rosamund Pike.
I'm not trying to discuss politics but does the tone of the movie try to PUSH a political agenda. You mentioned this in your review but I would like a little more detail on that please.

Second, with regard to the violence, is it as graphic as Tarantino's films? I did not really enjoy Django because of the overt graphic violence. I loved Hateful Eight, even though there were a couple VERY graphic scenes that I just find very disturbing to watch.

All that being said, if it's a good western with amazing cinematography I may overlook the two points above.

Thanks!

Last edited by Boston007; 05-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Hi Boston,

I wouldn’t say the movie tries to “push” a political agenda. Its message is just presented in a very obvious way, ad the film seems more concerned with its message than trying to be a good, entertaining western. The violence is definitely not as graphic as Tarantino violence, although the opening scene is pretty brutal. There’s just a lot of violence and death, and I thought it was excessive. Hope that helps. As I said in the review, it’s a very well-made movie. I just wish it embraced more of a classic western feel.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
Hi Boston,

I wouldn’t say the movie tries to “push” a political agenda. Its message is just presented in a very obvious way, ad the film seems more concerned with its message than trying to be a good, entertaining western. The violence is definitely not as graphic as Tarantino violence, although the opening scene is pretty brutal. There’s just a lot of violence and death, and I thought it was excessive. Hope that helps. As I said in the review, it’s a very well-made movie. I just wish it embraced more of a classic western feel.
Thanks for the added info. I will definitely check it out, probably rent it first and if I like it enough I'll buy.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:10 PM

Default Powerful

I can't quite figure out why more people were not more impressed with this film. I found it a very powerful story. It sits near the top of my list for best moves in the last couple years. I got completely engaged with the characters and had to fake allergies by the time I walked out of the theater when I saw it a few months ago.

While it of course deals with the conflict with and treatment of Native Americans, I thought it did so in a very balanced way. I despise movies with a political agenda but I did not detect one here. It is quite violent but I felt it was not over the top and served the story, not any kind of celebration of brutality.

And I have to say I totally disagree with David's assertion that "Bale is a very good actor, but his work here is overly studied and mechanical." I think when you consider what his character has been though, (presented in the opening scenes), he is just exhausted and burnt out. His performance appropriately convinced me of that.

I bought this day 1 (4K version), and can't wait to view this again as I have been counting down the days to the disk release since I left the theater.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
I can't quite figure out why more people were not more impressed with this film. I found it a very powerful story. It sits near the top of my list for best moves in the last couple years. I got completely engaged with the characters and had to fake allergies by the time I walked out of the theater when I saw it a few months ago.

While it of course deals with the conflict with and treatment of Native Americans, I thought it did so in a very balanced way. I despise movies with a political agenda but I did not detect one here. It is quite violent but I felt it was not over the top and served the story, not any kind of celebration of brutality.

And I have to say I totally disagree with David's assertion that "Bale is a very good actor, but his work here is overly studied and mechanical." I think when you consider what his character has been though, (presented in the opening scenes), he is just exhausted and burnt out. His performance appropriately convinced me of that.

I bought this day 1 (4K version), and can't wait to view this again as I have been counting down the days to the disk release since I left the theater.
I agree, it was excellent. 3 stars is way too low.