'Mission: Impossible' & 'Jack Ryan' Series in the works for 4K Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Staff

Default 'Mission: Impossible' & 'Jack Ryan' Series in the works for 4K Blu-ray

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...d-bluray/41209
Old 03-31-2018, 01:52 PM

Sure would be nice to get 4K remasters of the Jack Ryan collection on regular blu-ray too; Especially The Sum of All Fears, seeing as that's my favourite one. The original blu-ray looked OK, but would like to see what it looks like without the DNR, edge enhancement, and other digital tweaking.
Buuuuut seeing as this is Paramount, I don't see them coming out with a regular blu-ray copy of the 4K remaster. Looks like I'll have to buy a 4K player soon and just run it on my 1080p Epson projector. Sigh.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:03 PM

For what it's worth, Amazon.ca has a listing up for the Jack Ryan 5-film collection, but only for regular blu-ray at the moment. Release date is set for June 12th. Hopefully these blu-rays will be based off those new 4k remasters.
https://www.amazon.ca/Jack-Ryan-5-Mo...ywords=blu+ray
Old 04-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I am wondering they do a combo pack if the Mission Impossibles will have lossless audio. Wasn't the only way to get 1 -3 with lossless to import it from Asia? Very expensive at that.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I am wondering they do a combo pack if the Mission Impossibles will have lossless audio. Wasn't the only way to get 1 -3 with lossless to import it from Asia? Very expensive at that.
Yeah, the first 3 had lossy audio. BUT, recently Paramount has released a new slew of steelbooks, one of those being the original Tomb Raider. Upon initial release (well over a decade ago), it only had lossy audio. The new steelbook version for Tomb Raider has been confirmed to have a new 5.1 DTS HD-MA track, however the video quality is the same MPEG-2 transfer from the original blu-ray.

I find it very bizarre that Paramount wouldn't bother to give the regular blu-ray the new 4K remaster of the film. I'm fearing Paramount will be cheaping out on these new Mission Impossible and Jack Ryan blu-rays and only recycling the old transfers on them and not porting over the new 4K remasters.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:46 AM

If Paramount follows course, the box set will be phoned in. 1-2 will look like crap, the rest will look progressively better. Atmos might be on the newer movies. Then 3-4 years from now they might get around to double dipping with a proper remaster. That was they’re SOP for DVD and Blu Ray anyway.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM

I've never felt that the original M:I looked bad on Blu-ray. It perhaps had some room for improvement, but the video quality was respectable on the whole. M:I-2 is the only one that truly looked like garbage.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I've never felt that the original M:I looked bad on Blu-ray. It perhaps had some room for improvement, but the video quality was respectable on the whole. M:I-2 is the only one that truly looked like garbage.
Ha that's ok by me since I think it's the worst one. Yes I actually really enjoyed 3. Hard to believe I like it considering I am not a fan of J J Abrams but I thought he did a good job here.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

The cover arts for the Mission Impossible movies are pretty bad. Every single one has a large photo of Ethan's (Tom Cruise) head and some abstract off color shot from the movie just below it.
You can see them either on Bill Hunt's site for April 20th or on br.com's site. I think the ones on our site here on the release calendar are ones before final art announced, but they're pretty bad as well.