Star Wars: The Last Jedi 4K - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2018, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Default Star Wars: The Last Jedi 4K - HDD Review

The first Star Wars film to be released in 4K is finally here.

Vudu 4K UHD (Dolby Vision / HDR10 + Dolby Atmos)

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/57...astjedi4k.html

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (Dolby Vision / HDR10 + Dolby Atmos)

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/54...ahdbluray.html

Blu-ray (1080p + 7.1 DTS-HD MA)

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/545...elastjedi.html
Old 03-14-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the review
That theme is perfectly encapsulated in a single line spoken by Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) "Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to."
Kylo Ren really meant:
Let the past die. Almost kill it. Put your finger on the trigger, and then
Spoiler
pull away. And then let random wing-men fire away to kill it,
because that is so much more meaningless.

But Kylo Ren really, really meant:
Nevermind. Don't let the past die.
Spoiler
Mary-Poppins it back to life.

Last edited by timcharger; 03-14-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
But on a deeper level, the theme points to the danger of turning the heroes of the past into mythical, romanticized icons without faults. As Luke plainly demonstrates, heroes can be inspiring but are most definitely flawed and capable of poor judgment,
"Heroes without faults"?
Having an addiction to fresh milk is a fault. Sure, I'll go with the plot that Luke picked up a bad habit of requiring freshly squeezed milk in his morning coffee.

But ignoring
Spoiler
his sister's deadly plight. His big bro's death doesn't move him. His bestie robot who plays the recorded video that started all of this saga, nope, nothing. Relegating himself to a slow suicide.
This isn't a hero with flaws. This isn't poor judgment. This just isn't the same character. This isn't Luke Skywalker.

Last edited by timcharger; 03-14-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
This subplot is not all that different from Han and Leia's detour to Cloud City, which also goes nowhere except for a carbon-frozen Han.
Not that all different... EXCEPT? Except that huge consequence of the possible death of Han. (We didn't know that Han could survive being carbon-frozen.) And that led major plot movement to rescue Han from Jabba. Canto Bight leads to nothing. It goes nowhere. Nowhere period. Except that was all worth it for rescuing those horses.

Seriously, that exception is a HUGE exception, Prof E. There were major plot consequences for the detour to Cloud City. Not to mention that detour also led to the reveal of Luke's father.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:47 AM

Yes! They did it. They fixed the film.

Quote:
UPDATE: If you purchase or redeem The Last Jedi via Movies Anywhere or purchase the movie via Google, Amazon, FandangoNow, iTunes, or Vudu and SYNC your account to Movies Anywhere, you get access to one extra bonus feature:

Score Only Version of The Last Jedi Watch the entire film with no dialog or sound effects. Just sit back and enjoy John Williams' iconic music.
No dialog!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
But ignoring his sister's deadly plight. His big bro's death doesn't move him. His bestie robot who plays the recorded video that started all of this saga, nope, nothing. Relegating himself to a slow suicide. This isn't a hero with flaws. This isn't poor judgment. This just isn't the same character. This isn't Luke Skywalker.
YOu do realize Luke is 30 years older than when you last saw him, right?

We don't know what hell he went through over that 30 years. People change. People get old, and they get grumpy. Have you never seen an old man be extremely nice one day only to suddenly become the, "GET OFF MY LAWN!" type of dude the next?

This movie was good, just not great. And its flaws having nothing to do with Luke, it's the passage of time (does the planet Luke and Rey are on have a faster solar cycle than the rest of the universe?) and space Leia that are its biggest issues.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm going to buy it as I may just wait for an UHD trilogy set to come out in 2020.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
People change. People get old, and they get grumpy. Have you never seen an old man be extremely nice one day only to suddenly become the, "GET OFF MY LAWN!" type of dude the next?
Yes, they say that to the neighborhood kids. Last time I checked, Han and Leia aren't pesky, snot-nosed kids.
Spoiler
By being unmoved by Han's death, ignoring Leia, dismissing R2,

Luke is yelling at them to get off his lawn.

And that's great; think about what you wrote. You are defending the changing of Luke Skywalker into that you-can't-have-your-baseball-back old man. That's the brilliant change that subverts our expectations.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:18 AM

Did Yoda become old and grumpy? He became wiser. Luke didn't.

They turned Luke into the angry old white guy and emasculated him.

This movie was awful and really just was aimed at the current younger generation - which is fine since they want to make money.

The prequels would probably be hated by today's generation.

This is the first Star Wars film I won't be buying and I may write off future movies. Not even into the Han Solo movie but I hope it does well because I like Ron Howard.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Did Yoda become old and grumpy? He became wiser. Luke didn't.

They turned Luke into the angry old white guy and emasculated him.

This movie was awful and really just was aimed at the current younger generation - which is fine since they want to make money.

The prequels would probably be hated by today's generation.

This is the first Star Wars film I won't be buying and I may write off future movies. Not even into the Han Solo movie but I hope it does well because I like Ron Howard.
Luke was completely disillusioned with the Jedi Order, did you not WATCH the movie, he fully explains why he left and left everyone else, in his mind, he was done trying.....the Jedi, TO HIM, caused most of the problems the galaxy had, the rise of Darth Vader because of their arrogance and fear and the complete blindness of the Sith rising to power with Palpatine, yeah he saved the galaxy for a while but the dark side rears its ugly head with him again by turning his own nephew....so like Luke before in Empire, he was too impulsive and didnt learn anything and for a brief moment, THOUGHT about killing Ben to prevent the visions he saw. But it was fleeting, just like his anger with his father when he cut off his hand in Return of the Jedi, he could have followed through and ended his life but he stopped, looked at his own hand and his fathers and realized he was wrong....but losing Ben was enough to make him give up, how many people in life do that on a daily basis, hit that final straw that makes them retreat from life?

Han's death did affect him, his return to realizing what needed to be done was built throughout the film, that information, R2's replaying of the message, it all got to him and eventually it climaxed with Yoda smacking him in the head again, just like he did in Empire, and telling him what he truly needed to hear, that failure is the greatest teacher and that knowledge needs to be passed down, he then sent himself across the galaxy in one of the most powerful showings of the force ever in the saga to BE the hero we all know him as, he saved his friends and his sister and brought about the rebirth of the rebellion....

I'm sorry but to me, thats excellent story telling but people are too caught up in this euphoria of Luke being this shining beacon of hope from 30 years ago, he got back to that point but his flaws and mistakes needed the proper recovery and motivation, just like real life, you need others and the right amount of caring and information to make a come back
Old 03-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Luke was completely disillusioned with the Jedi Order, did you not WATCH the movie, he fully explains why he left and left everyone else, in his mind, he was done trying.....
At that point, Luke WAS the Jedi Order. It was just him left. Who cares what past wrongs the Jedi Order did. Luke could control and shape what the Jedi are. He can rebuild it knowing what the past did wrong.

Quote:
the Jedi, TO HIM, caused most of the problems the galaxy had, the rise of Darth Vader because of their arrogance and fear and the complete blindness of the Sith rising to power with Palpatine, yeah he saved the galaxy for a while but the dark side rears its ugly head with him again by turning his own nephew....
The problem with that is that the film explains none of that. How does the Dark Side rear its ugly head? Where does this Snoke and First Order come from? The film alludes to a cause of Luke's disillusionment, yet doesn't provide any source to that existence. Unless the Jedi Order has something to do with the rebirth of the Dark Side, why are we to assume that it makes sense that Luke blame the Jedi side?

Quote:
so like Luke before in Empire, he was too impulsive and didnt learn anything and for a brief moment, THOUGHT about killing Ben to prevent the visions he saw. But it was fleeting, just like his anger with his father when he cut off his hand in Return of the Jedi, he could have followed through and ended his life but he stopped, looked at his own hand and his fathers and realized he was wrong....but losing Ben was enough to make him give up, how many people in life do that on a daily basis, hit that final straw that makes them retreat from life?
Yes, yes, yes. This is fine. We want imperfect heroes. Heroes that made mistakes. But to give up to commit a slow suicide, AND ALSO let's leave a map to where to find me. You know, Luke wanted to disappear but also play hard-to-get. Oh, let's just ignore that huge plot hole in the prior film created by this film.