Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Default Valerian 4K & Blu-ray - HDD Reviews

Please check out E's reviews.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/51...ahdbluray.html

Blu-ray

https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/514...ndplanets.html
Old 11-14-2017, 11:36 AM

I heard this was bad but according to the review it doesn't seem THAT bad and it looks and sounds great so I may pick this up.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:45 PM

Please forgive me as I am not attempting to start a fight or pick on the reviewer. I sincerely appreciate the work that is done to give us all of these stellar reviews, and I make many of my purchases based on their recommendations. However.

I found it very disappointing that there was no mention of the lack of a 3D release for this film. I was very excited to see Valerian in the months preceding its release, as I am a big Besson fan and consider The Fifth Element to be in my all time top 5. Throughout the lead up to the release there was constant talk of how the preferred viewing option and the effort towards a premium 3D experience was a major part of the film. I have been terribly disappointed that there is no 3D release planned for us here in the US. I wish that there had been mention of this and possibly a discussion how we are getting shafted by the studios in that regard.

I did manage to find a seller on eBay who has offered the region-free Indian release of Valerian in 3D. Unfortunately I have to wait until next month to receive it, but I am wholeheartedly looking forward to it!
Old 11-14-2017, 01:46 PM

Just remember to keep expectations on check and relatively low.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 11-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
Just remember to keep expectations on check and relatively low.
Yup, definitely
Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I heard this was bad but according to the review it doesn't seem THAT bad and it looks and sounds great so I may pick this up.
I said elsewhere (on Facebook in regards to this review, and on this site in comments section) that I saw this in theaters and enjoyed it and look forward to owning a copy on 4K disc/streaming.

It wasn't, at least not to me, as good as Fifth Element, but you can see its connections and heritage and similarities along the way.

To some extent the main stars lacked chemistry, and didn't necessarily seem like they were right for the roles they were playing. I'm not sure who else I would have liked in the roles, but that was an area of disappointment. The story was also a little slow to get moving, but I think it was intentional. Feed us pretty eye candy, take us around in the fantastical world/environment and let us be oooooh-ed and aaaaaaah-ed.

I think this one will suffer a bit in trying to build the cult following that Fifth Element eventually achieved because there are so many other choices for entertainment and an overwhelming number of repeat airings on a cable or premium channel doesn't lead to the numbers of consumption that used to occur (back in the days before millennials, especially, had so many tablets, smart phones and other devices to consume so many various sources of content on). It may eventually get there, but it will be a slog.

But, all things considered, to me the movie wasn't bad. Not great, but not bad. And yes, going in with lowered expectations will help keep you from being disappointed.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:24 PM

I have not seen it yet but I have been disappointed at all of the negative reviews thus far, as I was hoping this would be a surprise hit.

Luc Besson & original sci-fi? Should've had the makings of a solid flick

I may give it a rent eventually.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
I said elsewhere (on Facebook in regards to this review, and on this site in comments section) that I saw this in theaters and enjoyed it and look forward to owning a copy on 4K disc/streaming.

It wasn't, at least not to me, as good as Fifth Element, but you can see its connections and heritage and similarities along the way.

To some extent the main stars lacked chemistry, and didn't necessarily seem like they were right for the roles they were playing. I'm not sure who else I would have liked in the roles, but that was an area of disappointment. The story was also a little slow to get moving, but I think it was intentional. Feed us pretty eye candy, take us around in the fantastical world/environment and let us be oooooh-ed and aaaaaaah-ed.

I think this one will suffer a bit in trying to build the cult following that Fifth Element eventually achieved because there are so many other choices for entertainment and an overwhelming number of repeat airings on a cable or premium channel doesn't lead to the numbers of consumption that used to occur (back in the days before millennials, especially, had so many tablets, smart phones and other devices to consume so many various sources of content on). It may eventually get there, but it will be a slog.

But, all things considered, to me the movie wasn't bad. Not great, but not bad. And yes, going in with lowered expectations will help keep you from being disappointed.
Repeating the success and cult following of Fifth Element is extremely difficult. I almost wasn't expecting that. But your points are great, thanks.

Edit: Just preordered the Best Buy steelbook
Old 11-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Fifth Element caught me completely by surprise... I had zero interest in it, but passing it by when it was airing repeatedly on cable channels, I eventually sat and caught more than a few minutes of it and came to appreciate it as a wonderful movie. Now it ranks up there as an all-time favorite for me. I think, personally, that if the chemistry was better between the leads in Valerian and/or if different people were in those roles I may have liked it much, much more. It wasn't that the stars were bad, just that the didn't necessarily fill the roles as well as I would have hoped. And oddly enough, I can't say that for the entire movie really. An early part of the film offered a reasonable pairing that I kind of wish was built upon with more time, but instead, we didn't get to see as much of the relationship between the characters and we the viewers were not necessarily left caring about their relationship as much as we should have been.

It is hard to say that the movie needed to be longer, but it did really. More time between the early part of the movie and the later part which may have given us more time to see the two leads and experience more of their relationship, hopefully showing more interaction between them and leading us to believe they actually do care for each other.

Not to spoiler the film, but there is some attempt to convince us of that situation, but it comes across as less convincing than it should and leaves us thinking these characters are too young, too inexperienced perhaps, etc., and that it wouldn't necessarily matter to us or them if either or both just disappeared and never came back. That hurts the film a bit, and makes it less enjoyable. Especially when compared to a master-work such as Fifth Element. Seeing Bruce Willis pining over Leeloo made perfect sense. She was, after all, a perfect creation, the Fifth Element
Old 11-14-2017, 04:59 PM

Oh, I will say that thus far I am very underwhelmed with the apparent lack of extras for this one. I would have liked to have seen some of what probably ended up on the cutting room floor. Again, it's not a short movie, but some more in some parts of the film may have made it better.

Also somewhat disappointed that it sounds / reads from the reviews that the 4K isn't necessarily that impressive. I had hoped that it would be reference quality or near that. There are parts of the film that should be truly gorgeous in 4K. I hope that I'm wrong and that it wows me when I get my copy.