'Dunkirk' 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray up for pre-order - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Staff

Default 'Dunkirk' 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & Blu-ray up for pre-order

Dunkirk - 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

Dunkirk - Blu-ray
Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Heard this one was a big hit - count me in.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:00 AM

Loved this on IMAX, not sure how well it'll scale down, that was a BIG screen movie event - hopefully, a killer Atmos mix will keep things pumping regardless.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
Loved this on IMAX, not sure how well it'll scale down, that was a BIG screen movie event - hopefully, a killer Atmos mix will keep things pumping regardless.
My thoughts as well. It was pretty dang good on a giant screen (I saw it in 70mm IMAX), but a lot of my positive experience was based on the visuals. Shrink it down to a "small" screen, and I'm not sure the movie experience will hold up nearly as well.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
My thoughts as well. It was pretty dang good on a giant screen (I saw it in 70mm IMAX), but a lot of my positive experience was based on the visuals. Shrink it down to a "small" screen, and I'm not sure the movie experience will hold up nearly as well.
I saw Top Gun way back when it came out in 70mm. In some parts of the movie you could see where huge format would reign but overall it down converted well.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
Same here. I felt that the big appeal of the movie in 70mm IMAX was how it made you feel like you were there on the beach and in the air, but I have a feeling it won't be the same on home media. It's a shame that it won't at least have Atmos to further help with the immersion at home.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:06 PM

I received it yesterday from Amazon. I'm having people over to watch it this Saturday and as such I like to pick out some of the more dynamic scenes to calibrate what volume level I am going to use. I try to get it as loud as I can to the point where there won't be overwhelming action from the subwoofer, or it's so loud that it's uncomfortable. I'm basically trying to copy a movie theater volume in my home theater environment.

I like to think I have good gear, I know for certain I could have better. With the gear that I have I am able to play very, very loud without any distortion. However when I played this at -8.5db per my preamp I was hearing distortion or what seemed to be. If you skip to chapter 2 the first thing that happens is three Spitfires fly in formation across the screen from left to right. This scene had a couple issues. Issue one was that the imaging was off (again, not something I am used to experiencing with my matching speakers and proper calibration), the planes filled the right speaker well before it seemed they should have, it seemed that they didn't pan through the center channel for long enough. And then when they exited the right speakers I heard distortion.

In the scene on the beach at the beginning when the German plane first bombs the beach again I heard what sounded like distortion when the plane was flying overhead and just before it drops its bombs.

Not reading about the reviewer experiencing any distortion or negative comments about the mix it leaves me concerned. Do I think I'm hearing distortion when in fact that's how the planes are supposed to sound (I don't think so, I think it is distortion)? Why would there be distortion when I never have this problem?

All of that said, the bass is spot-on! My subs were going very deep, and were also very nuanced. From some of the in-cockpit view when the planes pitch or roll the subwoofers produced this very effective bass that came through on many levels, putting me right in the action and making it feel very real.

I saw this film three times in the theater. Twice in faux IMAX, and once in true 70mm IMAX at the Metreon in San Francisco (that was AMAZING!). So it is a bit of a bummer to see it on a 118" screen, and you do lose much of the visceral feel and scope of the presentation. However overall it was still a blast to watch. I'm looking forward to having people over who never saw it in the theater, since they won't know what they missed I think they'll respond very well to it.