Close Encounters 4K - HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default Close Encounters 4K - HDD Review

Celebrating its 40th Anniversary, the classic film makes contact on Ultra HD with a beautiful 4K remaster that easily bests its HD counterpart, but features the same DTS-HD soundtrack as before. With a pair of new exclusives accompanying the same healthy selection of supplements, the overall package is the definitive ultimate edition fans and cinephiles will want to add to their library.

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/492...hdbluray2.html
Old 09-25-2017, 02:56 PM

Hi guys, sorry if I may have missed it when reading the review but is this film version the same as the one on the 30th anniversary- http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1022...ncounters.html. This is the one I own and I'm embarrassed that I haven't watched it yet!
Old 09-25-2017, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Hi guys, sorry if I may have missed it when reading the review but is this film version the same as the one on the 30th anniversary- http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1022...ncounters.html. This is the one I own and I'm embarrassed that I haven't watched it yet!
It offers all three cuts of the movie in 4K & HD, via seamless branching, just like the 30th Anniversary. You select which one you want to watch and press play.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
It offers all three cuts of the movie in 4K & HD, via seamless branching, just like the 30th Anniversary. You select which one you want to watch and press play.
Thanks! I think I will try to watch this tonight. It's funny I have to be in the mood to watch certain movies.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:20 AM

The Criterion LD set offers all three cuts via player programming. I went with the easily obtainable steelbook version of the UHD.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
The Criterion LD set offers all three cuts via player programming.
Yes, that was a very early form of branching technology, but it was far from seamless.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Unlike the previous week's release of E.T., this one does not have a deluxe set at Walmart for $24.96 so you can expect Amazon to keep its price up for awhile.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Thanks! I think I will try to watch this tonight. It's funny I have to be in the mood to watch certain movies.
me too
Old 09-29-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Celebrating its 40th Anniversary, the classic film makes contact on Ultra HD with a beautiful 4K remaster that easily bests its HD counterpart, but features the same DTS-HD soundtrack as before. With a pair of new exclusives accompanying the same healthy selection of supplements, the overall package is the definitive ultimate edition fans and cinephiles will want to add to their library.

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/492...hdbluray2.html
Just to be clear, does the included Blu-ray disc benefit from the 4K restoration, or just the UHD disc? I couldn't be sure from the article. The reason I ask is that it will be a while before I get a 4K TV, so in the short term I would only be watching the Blu-ray disc. If the Blu-ray disc does not have the 4K transfer, I won't get this package at this point.