Starship Troopers 4K UHD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-23-2017, 09:50 PM

Default Starship Troopers 4K UHD

I can regretfully confirm that the Blu-ray packaged along with the 4k disc has not been remastered. It's the same disc from 2008. Audio is 5.1 TrueHD only. The disc menus still have a BD-Live option that no longer connects to anything. Fortunately, at least it's a corrected copy that fixed the editing glitch the first batch of discs had during the Whiskey Outpost siege.

I put in the UHD for about three minutes just to confirm that the editing in that scene is correct also. (It is.) I can't speak much to video quality, except to say that the UHD appears to clear up the edge enhancement problem the Blu-ray had in that part of the movie.

The disc menus on the UHD are really stupidly laid out and confusing for no reason.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:56 PM

I just checked the UK Blu-ray Region ABC disk I purchased a few years ago. It has LPCM 5.1 16b 48k according to the Oppo I loaded it into. Strangely there is a dts HD Master Audio logo on the back of the case. There are a couple of lossy dts tracks on it for French and Spanish, and 3 lossy Dolby Digital tracks too. I may as well put this disk into the UHD case and pull that other one out.

Just for kicks I played some of the TrueHD disk that's in the UHD case. It plays at much lower volume, so would have to turn it up quite a bit. I also noticed that there is an idiot bar that displays if you use the scan buttons -- this is not present on the UK version.

I then played some of the UK disk in the Sony X1000ES to make it easier to compare to the 4K. It does look better in this machine than in the Oppo. Confirmed that with the shower scene about 30 mins. in. Looks fantastic.

Last edited by cupboy; 09-24-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
I just checked the UK Blu-ray Region ABC disk I purchased a few years ago. It has LPCM 5.1 16b 48k according to the Oppo I loaded it into. Strangely there is a dts HD Master Audio logo on the back of the case. There are a couple of lossy dts tracks on it for French and Spanish, and 3 lossy Dolby Digital tracks too. I may as well put this disk into the UHD case and pull that other one out.
Disney has distribution rights to the movie in the UK, whereas Sony owns it in North America. The UK disc was released first, in 2007, and had PCM 5.1 audio. The Sony disc came out in 2008 with the audio in TrueHD 5.1. Both discs appeared to be sourced from the same video master.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:47 AM

Watching Starship Troopers now, HUGE improvement over the old Blu Ray. It's quite grainy per the source, but the level of detail is staggering, black levels and space shots are outstanding, really feels like a 35mm print.

I'm amazed how well these old movies are turning out in 4K.. I drool for Lawrence of Arabia.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 AM

I watched more of the disc last night as well. The Atmos track is really supercharged. More bass than the Blu-ray, and lots of overhead activity.

I had a really hard time with downconverting this one from HDR to SDR. I had to play with my player's picture settings menu quite a bit to find a decent compromise that didn't crush blacks or clip whites. (I'm sure the disc looks great on a true HDR display, but I don't have one yet.)

The old Blu-ray is showing its age but isn't terrible. It looks pretty good up until the Whiskey Outpost siege in the second half. For some reason, the transfer technicians decided to toss in a lot of edge enhancement from that scene through almost until the end of the movie. The UHD thankfully corrects that. No edge enhancement at all.