Luc Besson's 'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets' is coming November 21 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-14-2017, 12:44 PM

Default Luc Besson's 'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets' is coming November 21

Blu-ray:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5141...ndplanets.html

4K UHD:
http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/514...ahdbluray.html
Old 09-14-2017, 04:22 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Anyone here seen this movie? Care to compare it to other movies from Besson?
Old 09-14-2017, 05:55 PM

I saw it, and it's impossible NOT to compare it to 'The Fifth Element' ..... unfavourably.

Casting was this movie's biggest problem. With 'The Fifth Element', Besson had three sure bets in his casts (Willis doing his John McClane thing, Oldman playing an overthetop villain, and Chris Tucker playing an obnoxious motormouth). At that time, Jovovich was the only real gamble and it paid off in a star-making performance.

With 'Valerian' almost every casting choice was a gamble that didn't pay off. Besson either cast totally against type or with actors who are definitely unproven in what they were asked to do. DeHaan being cast as a cocky charming rogue being the biggest problem. But strangely even small roles never seem to connect the way they're intended. Rihanna talks about how Ethan Hawke would hunt her down and kill her if she ever tried to run away from him, but I never bought Hawke as some vicious pimp, more just a two bit hustler. Herbie Hancock is supposed to be some top brass type facing an explosive political scandal and terrorist crisis, but he only ever seems like a bored old man reading off his queue cards.

Delevingne might at least be the right type for what she's asked to do (she seems like Sharon Stone in training). But she just hasn't refined her craft enough yet. It doesn't help that she's stuck trading very stock banter opposite a totally miscast guy with whom she has no chemistry.

The movie didn't do much for me, but it had some aspects to recommend it. It kept moving and had some energetic sequences. Every now and then there would be a campy Flash Gordon type of moment or an eccentric Terry Gilliam moment that would catch me off guard and make me smile. But good casting would've made a huge difference in giving this big movie a healthy human centre.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Thanks Bolo. Rihanna and Herbie Hancock? Really? Has Rihanna been in a single successful movie yet?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Thanks Bolo. Rihanna and Herbie Hancock? Really? Has Rihanna been in a single successful movie yet?
She was awesome in Battleship, my guilty pleasure
Old 09-14-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
She played herself in the Seth Rogen/James Franco apocalypse comedy This Is the End, and she did a voice in DreamWorks' Home. Both of those were pretty successful.

She was miscast but tolerable in a small but important role in the final season of Bates Motel.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:46 PM

[subscribing to this thread for updates on 3D home video release....]
Old 09-16-2017, 03:39 PM

I caught this in theaters and enjoyed it. I would have liked some different cast members (as discussed above), but thought the story was OK. Over time I'll probably find myself really enjoying it, but that seems to happen for me with Besson's movies. Just slow to grow on me.
That all said, I absolutely love Fifth Element and like mentioned above, this compares similarly, but not as good. Not bad, just not as good.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
She was miscast but tolerable in a small but important role in the final season of Bates Motel.
All I can think of is Battleship... lol
Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
All I can think of is Battleship... lol
Yeah, but everything in Battleship was bad. It's hard to single out one actor for "ruining" a movie that's awful from top to bottom.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.