Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Alien: Covenant 4K & BD - HDD Reviews

Boston007 is online now Member

Hey M, This is an excellent review. It's so good you actually made me curious to see this film when I said to myself after Prometheus that I wouldn't

eNoize is online now The Professor

Thanks, Boston. I appreciate that. I only recommend walking into it with low expectations and as a straight horror flick. I was pleasantly surprised.
    M. Enois Duarte
    High-Def Digest Contributor
    Hi-Def Collection
    Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
    we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael

Dr Kain is offline Member

"As though finally correcting the disastrous collision course Prometheus was heading, director Ridley Scott steers Alien: Covenant back on track to dock with the familiar, much-preferred storyline introduced in the original 1979 classic."

AKA:

"I hated Prometheus because it didn't give me the same movie over, which Scott has decided to rectify. As such, we now have the same movie recycled that we have been getting for decades."

Sorry, but no. This movie was dreadful. For one thing, because it did just rehash the same thing over. Secondly, because the characters served no purpose other than being there to die. Not to mention they were some of the stupidest people ever. Who goes to an alien planet and not wear proper protection? And these are the people that were put in charge of leading 2000 families to another planet? Was this part of a "Getting Rid of Earth's Dumbest People" deportation program?

Then we have the entire fuck you given to fans of Prometheus. That story will NEVER have an actual conclusion now.

" However, it is good filmmaking that vastly improves on its predecessor by simply being entertaining while adding an arguably satisfying twist to the alien's genesis."

You mean by making David the creator of the Xenomorphs, which completely undermines the fear factor of the original? They are no longer aliens, they are science experiments by man.

Covenant makes Resurrection look like a masterpiece. At least that movie respected its audience enough to answer all questions by the end of the film. My god, the more I think about Covenant the more I hate. While King Arthur, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell, and REsident Evil The Final Chapter are garbage movies, Covenant is without a doubt the worst movie of 2017.

Of course, you probably hated Halloween III because it didn't have Michael in it and praised Halloween 4 for recycling the same story.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Secondly, because the characters served no purpose other than being there to die. Not to mention they were some of the stupidest people ever. Who goes to an alien planet and not wear proper protection?
    Wait, is this about Prometheus or Covenant?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

"As though finally correcting the disastrous collision course Prometheus was heading, director Ridley Scott steers Alien: Covenant back on track to dock with the familiar, much-preferred storyline introduced in the original 1979 classic."

AKA:

"I hated Prometheus because it didn't give me the same movie over, which Scott has decided to rectify. As such, we now have the same movie recycled that we have been getting for decades."

Sorry, but no. This movie was dreadful. For one thing, because it did just rehash the same thing over. Secondly, because the characters served no purpose other than being there to die. Not to mention they were some of the stupidest people ever. Who goes to an alien planet and not wear proper protection? And these are the people that were put in charge of leading 2000 families to another planet? Was this part of a "Getting Rid of Earth's Dumbest People" deportation program?

Then we have the entire fuck you given to fans of Prometheus. That story will NEVER have an actual conclusion now.
    You are always welcomed to think what you want about a movie. There are never right or wrong answers when it comes to preferences or taste, but feeling insulted by someone else's preferences or being angry that a film did not satisfy your particular whims or desires doesn't really make for a reasonable discussion. I prefer not to risk reviving the same argument again because it has been discussed ad nauseam
    here
    http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/125411-prometheus-coming-blu-ray-blu-ray-3d-october-9-a.html

here
    http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/127654-prometheus-3d-high-def-digest-review.html

and here
    http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/128054-prometheus-high-def-digest-review.html

Nevertheless, here is a quick recap. Scientists doing stupid things is an oxymoron, insulting and an immensely stupid plot device for the sake of moving the story. This plot removed the pretentiousness of the first and its heavy-handed ambitions in favor for a more streamlined, straightforward horror thriller because it is more entertaining. Granted, there were a few scenes and conversations that were somewhat loaded, but at least, they were not unskillfully overbearing. In this tightly-written script, the characters are average, heavily-flawed individuals capable of mistakes that lead to greater problematic issues and drive them for desperate solutions to survive. The movie is not perfect, but it is more entertaining for my taste and preferences.

" However, it is good filmmaking that vastly improves on its predecessor by simply being entertaining while adding an arguably satisfying twist to the alien's genesis."

You mean by making David the creator of the Xenomorphs, which completely undermines the fear factor of the original? They are no longer aliens, they are science experiments by man.

Covenant makes Resurrection look like a masterpiece. At least that movie respected its audience enough to answer all questions by the end of the film. My god, the more I think about Covenant the more I hate. While King Arthur, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell, and REsident Evil The Final Chapter are garbage movies, Covenant is without a doubt the worst movie of 2017.
    Again, you are welcomed to believe that all you want, but this sequel makes a better connection to the original franchise than the first movie. While you don't like David's involvement, the mystery of the Xenomorph has always been that the creature was designed, which Prometheus tried to explore in no unsubtle terms. Since the original 1979 classic, the Weyland-Yutani Corporation has wanted the creature for experimentation to possibly perfect it further and weaponize it, almost as if they have always known it was designed.

Of course, you probably hated Halloween III because it didn't have Michael in it and praised Halloween 4 for recycling the same story.
    You do realize who wrote this review, right?
    M. Enois Duarte
    Hi-Def Collection

~ Pauline Kael

Kopkiwi is offline Member

This was not a good movie. Downright boring, awful plot. Stupid characters. 1/5
    My gear:

Projector: Sony VPL-HW65ES
    Receiver: Marantz AV8801
    Fronts: Monitor Audio Gold GX200
    Centre: Monitor Audio Gold GXC350
    Surrounds: Monitor Audio Gold 50
    Sub: To come
    Amps: Emotiva XPA-3 and XPA-2
    Region B Blu-ray Player: PS4 500GB
    Region A Blu-ray Player: PS3 Slim 120GB

Yeah, not many cared for this movie at all, and it did poorly at the box office, which puts the third installment into question and Fox might just abandon it altogether.
    M. Enois Duarte
    Hi-Def Collection

~ Pauline Kael

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Wait, is this about Prometheus or Covenant?
    lol Technically both, but the people in Prometheus DID wear proper gear most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
    You are always welcomed to think what you want about a movie. There are never right or wrong answers when it comes to preferences or taste, but feeling insulted by someone else's preferences or being angry that a film did not satisfy your particular whims or desires doesn't really make for a reasonable discussion.
    So I'm not allowed to disagree with a person's opinion on a DISCUSSION BOARD?

Again, you are welcomed to believe that all you want, but this sequel makes a better connection to the original franchise than the first movie.
    But that was not the point of Prometheus. The point of Prometheus and its original sequels were to explore something NEW in the Alien universe.

The only connection I needed to the original franchise was being told it was in the same timeline, that is it. If I want to watch Alien, I will watch Alien. If I want to watch Aliens, I will watch Aliens. Why would I want to watch an inferior movie that copies Alien and Aliens when I could just watch the originals instead?

the mystery of the Xenomorph has always been that the creature was designed
    No, the mystery of the Xenomorphs was not knowing how they were created and that it seemed like they were naturally born organisms.

Did anyone say back in 1979, "Hmmmmmmm, I want them to make a prequel that tells me how the alien was created because I need to know how this even happened?"

the Weyland-Yutani Corporation has wanted the creature for experimentation to possibly perfect it further and weaponize it, almost as if they have always known it was designed.
    The thing is, we don't know how they knew about it and we didn't need to know. They just did. Not everything has to have an explanation for it.

You do realize who wrote this review, right?
    No I don't. The author of the review is irrelevant. It is the review itself that matters.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

lol Technically both, but the people in Prometheus DID wear proper gear most of the time.
    Are you forgetting the infamous scene where they arrive on the alien planet wearing environmental suits and then all promptly take off their helmets?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

So I'm not allowed to disagree with a person's opinion on a DISCUSSION BOARD?
    That is nowhere near what I wrote. Of course, you're welcomed to disagree. Don't like the film all you want. It makes absolutely no difference to me. What I'm pointing out is that you seem genuinely angry and wounded by a movie -- a freaking movie! It's not worth having a discussion if you're already soured by it and staunchly oppose any reasonable discussion.

But that was not the point of Prometheus. The point of Prometheus and its original sequels were to explore something NEW in the Alien universe.

The only connection I needed to the original franchise was being told it was in the same timeline, that is it. If I want to watch Alien, I will watch Alien. If I want to watch Aliens, I will watch Aliens. Why would I want to watch an inferior movie that copies Alien and Aliens when I could just watch the originals instead?
    The point of Prometheus is a pompous, sophomoric quest for humanity's Creator while set within the Alien universe. I don't have a problem with that when the filmmaker is subtle, nuanced and approaches such an ambitious plot with artistically creative touch. Also, filmmakers are not obligated to give you what you want, to please or satisfy your particular wishes of where the journey goes. They do what they want and how they envision the story. Their responsibility is to make as entertaining as possible. For me, Covenant was entertaining. For you, on the other hand, it was not. Oh, well.

No, the mystery of the Xenomorphs was not knowing how they were created and that it seemed like they were naturally born organisms.

Did anyone say back in 1979, "Hmmmmmmm, I want them to make a prequel that tells me how the alien was created because I need to know how this even happened?"

The thing is, we don't know how they knew about it and we didn't need to know. They just did. Not everything has to have an explanation for it.
    Interesting you think all that, yet you really love Prometheus, which tactlessly and relentlessly bashes the audience over the head on what the plot is about but leaves massive gaps explaining character motivations or why everyone is practically walking about wearing figurative dunce hats.

No I don't. The author of the review is irrelevant. It is the review itself that matters.
    If it is irrevelant, then why did you bring it up? You're correct that the review is what matters, but you created the false juxtaposition when accusing the author's enjoyment of this film equal to an assumption of a speculative dislike of another film.
    M. Enois Duarte
    Hi-Def Collection

~ Pauline Kael

David Susilo is offline Member

I watched the movie last week... still waiting to be scared. Such a waste of time and money.
    Follow my A/V twitter @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, Control4, HAA certified; CEDIA trainer.
    my home theatre

Jiden is offline Member

I left a lengthy rant in the theater review for this film that nobody probably read, but I'll provide a tl:dr here (SPOILER WARNING):
    Anybody who has issues with the characters making dumb decisions in Prometheus is completely glossing over the dumb decisions made by characters here:
    - The entire medbay sequence: Faris locking doors for quarantine, opening the door 30 seconds later after her friend is dead, hurting her own leg, and then blowing herself up.
    - Oram's character willingly shoving his face into an egg at David's suggestion JUST after seeing his comrade's disembodied head as a result of David's actions.

The writing is garbage too, plot holes galore:
    - Why would David save Shaw multiple times during Prometheus only to sacrifice her between movies?
    - Assuming there was possibly ONE other ship on the engineer planet, if David is full megalomaniac, why didn't he leave to continue his experiments before the Covenant showed up? Why only leave then?
    - Why would David, pretending to be Walter (more on that in a minute), play along with Daniels and Tennessee trapping his perfect specimen and blasting it into space, only to lock them down in a sleep chamber afterward and reveal himself then? Why not just let the alien do his dirty work and keep it around?

And was anybody REALLY fooled by David (besides our mindless characters)? After suddenly cutting his hair onscreen to match Walter, are we really supposed to assume that's for nothing?

The entire plot of the movie is a rip-off of Alien(s). Space-faring folk detect odd transmission, are drawn in to investigate. Lander is damaged/destroyed in the process. Somebody breaks quarantine. There's a nefarious android whose interests are counter to our heroes. Escape is made with an alien attached to the ship. And the alien is lured into a situation where it's blasted out an airlock.

As I said in my first rant, whether you liked it or not, at least Prometheus tried to be different. This movie is a shallow rip-off with a script that you're not supposed to think about and forgettable, dumb characters (in contrast to Parker, Dallas, Hudson, or Vazquez). This was everything I wouldn't want for a sequel/prequel to added nothing of value to the franchise.

Jiden, I totally agree with everything you just said.

Quote Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
    What I'm pointing out is that you seem genuinely angry and wounded by a movie -- a freaking movie! It's not worth having a discussion if you're already soured by it and staunchly oppose any reasonable discussion.
    Well of course I'm angry. Alien is the greatest horror movie ever made and Aliens is one of the greatest sequels ever made. The Alien series is one of my favorites despite there being only 2 good movies. As for Covenant, it was one of the three movies I had the biggest expectations for this year. Spider-Man and Apes had no problem exceeding those, why couldn't Covenant?

Also, filmmakers are not obligated to give you what you want, to please or satisfy your particular wishes of where the journey goes. They do what they want and how they envision the story. Their responsibility is to make as entertaining as possible. For me, Covenant was entertaining. For you, on the other hand, it was not. Oh, well.
    They may not be obligated to do so, but when I am spending money on their story, I expect to have a payoff for it. I should not have to go to another castle in hopes that the princess I need to rescue will be there.

Interesting you think all that, yet you really love Prometheus, which tactlessly and relentlessly bashes the audience over the head on what the plot is about but leaves massive gaps explaining character motivations or why everyone is practically walking about wearing figurative dunce hats.
    Prometheus tried to do something new though. It wasn't trying to just be Alien 7. Also, I gave the movie the benefit of the doubt that Scott was going to actually make a sequel that answered all of Prometheus' questions and give me the payoff I wanted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast