Ghost in the Shell 4K & BD - HDD Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-18-2017, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default Ghost in the Shell 4K & BD - HDD Reviews

E wasn't a fan of this one, but the visuals are gorgeous.

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/457...ahdbluray.html

Blu-ray

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4575...shell2017.html
Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Speaking of "visuals" - I was strongly considering the Best Buy 4K combo steelbook. They changed from a terrible hideous artwork to total shit.

Either way, it sounds like I would not be a fan of this one either. Saving my cash I guess.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Banned

ETA on 3D review?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:43 AM

Small mistake in the review:

Quote:
In fact, Sanders freely copies from Mamoru Oshii's vision of the popular manga series that it practically borders on plagiarizing
Should be:

Quote:
In fact, Sanders so freely copies from Mamoru Oshii's vision of the popular manga series that it practically borders on plagiarizin
Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 AM

I found the film okay, better than I expected. They basically took visuals and characters from every iteration of 'Ghost in the Shell' and stitched them together into a remake of 'Robocop' minus the humour, and that's far from the worst thing they could've done.

The cast was quite good and put their own spin on their roles. The only weak one was the villain. I thought he wasn't a very good actor and found his character was just a bland evil corporate dude.

I admire the film for avoiding many of the problems that I feel plague modern blockbusters. The action scenes in this film felt fairly grounded and to the point. The origins story stuff was worked in so that it was more Kusanagi figuring out her past as opposed to the audience having to sit through training montages to watch her become the character we want to see. And the film avoids the shameless franchise-building tactics that annoy me in other films (scenes that do nothing to service the current plot, they're just there to set up future movies). So props for all of that.

The sci-fi ideas on display all feel a little safe and worn out. The movie deals with the age old question of whether a man is still a man when you put him in a machine, but doesn't ask it in a particularly fresh or exciting way. This dilemma is presented in exactly the same way as 'Robocop', so in 2017 it's not exactly thought-provoking.

Like I said, overall, it was a decent blockbuster. Good performances, outstanding visuals, decent pacing, but worn-out themes and a bland villain.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 AM

I recently re-watched the original. Man that is a great movie that was ahead of its time IMO.

I've heard too many mixed reviews for this movie so I will pass on it, but it seems to be a good audio/video reference quality disc
Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
I recently re-watched the original. Man that is a great movie that was ahead of its time IMO.
That's the biggest problem with this new film. It's behind its time. It would probably have been an awesome movie in 1997, but in 2017 it feels a little underwhelming. The new film is fairly faithful to its source material in terms of content and especially its visuals, but to be faithful to the spirit of the original it would have to find a way to update itself and challenge the way we relate to technology today.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:29 AM

One of the worst movies of the year. Sadly, Alien Covenant and Resident Evil 6 somehow kicked this movie outof the top spot.

I can tell the director is a fan of the franchise, as he made a movie that featured his favorite scenes from the other mediums. It's just that he had absolutely nothing of substance to stitch those scenes together.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 AM

As someone that couldn't ever get into the anime, I'd say that this film isn't bad. It's not great, but it as easy enough to get into and wasn't overly sophisticated. The 3D conversion was OK, but it definitely wasn't like Kong: Skull Island or Mad Max: Fury Road. Really, the 3D didn't add anything to the film IMO. So, you may as well just watch the 2D 1080p or 4k, for the best viewing experience.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:10 AM

That is just it though, Ghost in the Shell is supposed to be philosophical. It's supposed to ask when does man become machine and when does machine become man. This movie did none of that. It was a petty paint by the numbers Saturday morning cartoon version of the story for dummies.