Despicable Me 1 & 2 UHD - HDD Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-13-2017, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Default Despicable Me 1 & 2 UHD - HDD Reviews

E has reviewed the first two 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays to feature Dolby Vision and the results are demo-worthy!

Despicable Me

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/451...ahdbluray.html

Despicable Me 2

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/451...ahdbluray.html
Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 AM

Not surprised at the 5 stars for the video. CG excels in video quality by its nature. The quality is more contingent on the detail in the source material (textures and of the set pieces and the like) than anything. Frankly, a studio would have to really screw the pooch to get below maybe 4.5 stars.

Not sure I'll pick this up though. I already have them on Blu-ray, and the jump from HD to UHD just isn't that huge, generally. Then again, Dolby Vision....We do have both a TV and player that support it (both LG), and the review does make it seem rather tempting....

That makes me wonder though, will you be making a practice of comparing the two (DV vs HDR10) in future?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:04 PM

I think that all depends on the title, but it's feasible whenever the opportunity arises.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 06-15-2017, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the review. Regarding HDR10 vs. DV comparisons, can you list the player and display each was used for the comparison? From what I understand, the difference is more if they are compared on a lower nit display rather than a display which can get very bright (at least over 1000 nits). Also, at least in my experience, the UHD PQ is superior in the Oppo 203 vs. the Samsung launch player. What equipment did you use for this comparison?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 AM

The comparisons were done one the same display since there are currently no projectors with Dolby Vision. The Samsung was used for the HDR10 while the Oppo provided the Dolby Vision. In my experience, I have not seen a significant enough difference between the two players when HDR is concerned. But you're right, the Oppo is the superior player in every other respect.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael