Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Resident Evil: The Final Chapter UHD & BD - HDD Reviews

Matthew Hartman has reviewed Resident Evil: The Final Chapter on Ultra HD Blu-ray, which includes HDR10/WCG 2160p video & Dolby Atmos Audio:

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/431...ahdbluray.html

& the Blu-ray, which includes SDR/Rec.709 1080p video & 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4319...alchapter.html

NJScorpio is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Matthew Hartman has reviewed Resident Evil: The Final Chapter on Ultra HD Blu-ray, which includes HDR10/WCG 2160p video & Dolby Atmos Audio:

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/431...ahdbluray.html

& the Blu-ray, which includes SDR/Rec.709 1080p video & 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4319...alchapter.html
    Are there any plans for a North American 3D Blu-Ray release? If not, I'll just jump on the Vudu 3D/2D bundle for $25 while it's still on sale.

mattedscreen is online now HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
    Are there any plans for a North American 3D Blu-Ray release? If not, I'll just jump on the Vudu 3D/2D bundle for $25 while it's still on sale.
    From what I was able to glean, not at this time. It was a much bigger success in China/Japan so they're getting a 3D release from last I read.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

Quote Originally Posted by mattedscreen View Post
    From what I was able to glean, not at this time. It was a much bigger success in China/Japan so they're getting a 3D release from last I read.
    Ah, thanks!

So I'll just jump on the Vudu bundle, as it's what I'd expect to pay for a 3D Blu-Ray combo pack. I'll just grab the physical 2D disc by itself in a year or so for $10 or less.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

For what it's worth, a 3D edition will also be released in the UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...nandscathed-20

I'm disappointed by the lack of 3D in North America. Also disappointed that the Blu-ray disc doesn't have Atmos. These are very consumer-unfriendly decisions by Sony.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Vidfreek is offline Member

This was.....awful, in every way. Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of this franchise, its stupid and cheesy and they arent good movies, I love Afterlife the most, 3D was amazing and it has awesome action sequences, even Apocalypse is fun in a super dumb campy way but this? I have no idea what they were doing here, regardless of what is said about the story, it has followed a decent continuity since the beginning, but they threw all of that out for this entry, everything that happened at the end of Retribution, Wesker switching sides, all of that was tossed out by one line, it was a trap, no one returned from that film either.....how do you write off the cast that was building this up? Only one returning really was Claire Redfield. The retconned the whole story behind the red queen, who was modeled after the scientists daughter from the 2nd movie, now its modeled after the co-creator of the company? Its really like this whole entire movie is a stand alone as everything building up to it was just forgot about or tossed out.

As the review says, Anderson's direction just shit the bed in this one, Afterlife, while really dumb was insanely slick, shot well and that bathroom scene with the giant Axe wielding dude was sweet to witness, these fights are horrendous and are probably worse than The Bourne Supremacy and thats saying something.

I so wanted a fun movie out of this one but I cant even bring myself to finish off the series, I have the limited Steel Books of the first 3 and the CG one and the 3D versions of the previous two but I wont be buying this and will only finish the series if I get it for free, they fucked this up bad IMO

malakai is offline Member

I don't think this was actually filmed in 3D, like the previous two Resident Evil films were. I've been cancelling, or just not ordering, several 3D blu-rays lately, because of the way 3D has been headed in North America, not to mention that almost all live action films are conversions. The new Transformers film claims to have been shot all on IMAX 3D cameras, but that's a rare exception. When Underworld: Blood Wars 3D was cancelled on the North American 4k release, I cancelled my amazon order and considered getting the UK or Polish import, but when reviews of the film came out, I decided to just not get it at all.

So, I haven't seen RE: Final Chapter yet, but I keep hearing complaints about them changing the origin story. That's pretty shitty, no doubt about it.. As for the two previous 3D RE films, I'm with Vidfreek. Afterlife was awesome. Retribution, not so much, although I did like the introduction of Ada Wong, which Alice's character was based on.

Still, I plan to get this film. Do I want the 4K version, with ATMOS, a standard 2D blu-ray release, or importing a 3D copy, from China or Poland, which claims to be region ABC? Only time will tell, but if this is as bad as retribution, I guess I can be glad that the franchise is dead. I've thoroughly enjoyed these Alice films from the beginning, but it's probably time to put her to rest, for good.

Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    I don't think this was actually filmed in 3D, like the previous two Resident Evil films were. I've been cancelling, or just not ordering, several 3D blu-rays lately, because of the way 3D has been headed in North America, not to mention that almost all live action films are conversions. The new Transformers film claims to have been shot all on IMAX 3D cameras, but that's a rare exception. When Underworld: Blood Wars 3D was cancelled on the North American 4k release, I cancelled my amazon order and considered getting the UK or Polish import, but when reviews of the film came out, I decided to just not get it at all.

So, I haven't seen RE: Final Chapter yet, but I keep hearing complaints about them changing the origin story. That's pretty shitty, no doubt about it.. As for the two previous 3D RE films, I'm with Vidfreek. Afterlife was awesome. Retribution, not so much, although I did like the introduction of Ada Wong, which Alice's character was based on.

Still, I plan to get this film. Do I want the 4K version, with ATMOS, a standard 2D blu-ray release, or importing a 3D copy, from China or Poland, which claims to be region ABC? Only time will tell, but if this is as bad as retribution, I guess I can be glad that the franchise is dead. I've thoroughly enjoyed these Alice films from the beginning, but it's probably time to put her to rest, for good.
    Yeah, Retribution was starting to really reach with its story, that movie just dragged for the most part, really loved the ending though and the action was still pretty fun....ugh so bad in The Final Chapter, I have no idea what happened to this one, Underworld Bloodwars provided exactly what I was expecting from that franchise, why couldnt this do the same thing?

I started this the other night, after about half an hour of PSVR, and 10 minutes into the movie I felt sick. That's very rare for me, but I believe it was just the combination of the two back to back, and being rather tired.

Anyway, for what it's worth the 3D in the Vudu version I watched was VERY satisfying, lots of depth, lots of activity.

Quote Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
    I started this the other night, after about half an hour of PSVR, and 10 minutes into the movie I felt sick. That's very rare for me, but I believe it was just the combination of the two back to back, and being rather tired.

Anyway, for what it's worth the 3D in the Vudu version I watched was VERY satisfying, lots of depth, lots of activity.
    3D has always been good for these since they started with Afterlife, that one and Retribution were filmed in 3D I believe, no clue about this one but its so awful even 3D cant save it, probably make it far worse because of the millisecond cuts for everything thats happening, no way you could really enjoy the 3D for most of the movie, Afterlife is still the best and one of the better 3D offerings I ever saw in the theater

Dr Kain is offline Member

This was the first RE movie I did not see in theaters, so I will rent it to finally be done with this series for good.

I liked the first movie a lot as it also felt it could easiy be placed before RE0. While the sequels kept getting worse, Extinction was hands down the biggest pile of crap that was ever made from the franchise. Whoever the moron was that thought ending the world with an off screen zombie apocalypse was a great idea (and pretty much ignoring EVERYTHING that occured during the ending of the second movie) should be shot.

Of course, the most retarded decision was to finally have Alice and Wesker cross paths, but then immediately get rid of her powers, diminishing the long wait to finally see those two go at it. Then again, it seemed like they weren't sure what they were doing with Afterlife since Alice still had super human abilities, making the whole thing irrelevant.

mattedscreen is online now HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    This was the first RE movie I did not see in theaters, so I will rent it to finally be done with this series for good.

I liked the first movie a lot as it also felt it could easiy be placed before RE0. While the sequels kept getting worse, Extinction was hands down the biggest pile of crap that was ever made from the franchise. Whoever the moron was that thought ending the world with an off screen zombie apocalypse was a great idea (and pretty much ignoring EVERYTHING that occured during the ending of the second movie) should be shot.

Of course, the most retarded decision was to finally have Alice and Wesker cross paths, but then immediately get rid of her powers, diminishing the long wait to finally see those two go at it. Then again, it seemed like they weren't sure what they were doing with Afterlife since Alice still had super human abilities, making the whole thing irrelevant.
    I'm with you there, the series was very up and down movie to movie. I mentioned it in my review that the series - and especially this outing - felt very stream of conscious. No filter, no editing later. What made it to the paper went on screen whether or not it made any sense at all.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

malakai is offline Member

I'm just about ready to change my mind and get the 3D version. My XBOX ONE S is my UHD player, and it won't bitstream Lionsgate/Summit releases, for ATMOS. It gets an error, stating that your receiver doesn't support decoding this audio and that you should go into your XBONE blu-ray settings and uncheck the 'let receiver do decoing' option, and yes, when you do that, it will play, in PCM 7.1 or whatever, but that's not ATMOS.. ATMOS UHDs are verified working on my setup, with Deadpool, Pride and Prejudice, Salt, Labyrinth, and Ender's Game. Allegiant and The Hunger Games are a no go.

Apparently, these have problems playing universal UHDs and several other individual titles, from what I've read on the MS support forums, unless they've recently fixed this with an update. I think it's a gamble whether or not any specific UHD disc will play on the XBONE S. How can a company release such a shit product? Oh, that's right. This is the same company that released Windows ME and Vista..

I guess this XBONE S was a bad investment, since I haven't bought a single game for it since black Friday and bought it specifically as a UHD Blu-ray player

Dr Kain is offline Member

That sucks. I know the feeling when a game console's player won't work properly for you. My PS4 will NOT play audio in anything but Dolby Plx II, so no True HD, DTSMA, or PCM, making it an inferior machine to regular BD players that came out 10 years ago.

cupboy is online now Member

Has anyone seen the Best Buy steelbook version? I bought one but it looks totally different than the picture on their website. It's a Project Pop Art steelbook. Priced at $27.99.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast