La La Land UHD & Blu-ray - HDD Reviews - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Default La La Land UHD & Blu-ray - HDD Reviews

Bryan Kluger says La La Land is an excellent film that pays tribute to old-school Hollywood in a modern setting, as well as jazz music and musicals of the golden era of movie-making. This Ultra HD Blu-ray's video and audio presentations here are simply stunning -- the HDR is out of this world and the Dolby Atmos track is just lovely on every level. Highly Recommended!

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/431...ahdbluray.html

Bryan has also reviewed the Blu-ray

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/42420/lalaland.html
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 PM

English 2.0 Dolby Digital Audio Optimized for Late-Night Listening

Could this be elaborated upon? Sounds cool
Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Lest anyone get confused by the bonus features as listed, ALL of the bonus materials listed in Bryan's review are on BOTH the Blu-ray and the 4K disc (the "exclusive" bonus features Bryan has listed aren't on the DVD).

I believe this is the first 4K release to contain ALL the Bonus Materials that appear on the Blu-ray, which is kind of nice.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post

You know how a lot of these mixes have low dialogue that basically has you cranking up the volume? These 2.0 mixes are designed to bump the dialogue up so you don't have to reach for the remote when a big musical number comes on...it basically compresses the dynamic range for a more "even" listen (making there less of a difference between "loud" moments and "soft" ones).
Old 04-19-2017, 02:40 AM
Banned

La La Lame. Anyone remember The Artist? Yeah, that one was awesome too.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:27 AM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by signia76 View Post
I do remember The Artist, and both movies are much better than "Moonlight".
Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signia76 View Post
Actual reasons would be helpful, just crapping on a movie with nothing else isn't really very constructive, plenty of folks saw and loved LaLaLand, including myself, if it's not for you, then it's not for you.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:10 PM

In defense of the throw-away comment, we can infer that he/she finds it bad in the same was as The Artist.

I found it okay in the same as The Artist (but as to the latter, I may have set myself up for disappointment, driving pretty far to track it down in a theater, expecting it to be Chaplin re-incarnated or something.)

Agreed they are both better than Moonlight, about which I can only say it was sufficiently "artful," but boy was it ever dishonest.

I may try La La Land again.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post

Much like a radio station, all the sound in the soundtrack is "normalized" and therefore when you set the volume to a reasonable level there are not loud explosions and such. All the effects, dialog, etc. are at the same volume so someone sleeping in another end of a house or apartment next door will not get blasted out of bed.
Music is perceived better on radio stations because the low volumed instruments are just as loud as the loud instruments.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:55 PM

I found this very enjoyable. Hollywood's insistence on casting actors who can't really sing or dance in musicals didn't drag this one down as much as it has other films. Gosling can't sing, but his voice at least has personality, so when he talks his way through songs it's still engaging. Stone not so much. But they do both deliver good acting, which is what they were hired for. I really liked the ending.