Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Harry Potter Series in UHD - HDD Reviews

UPDATED 4/10/17: This thread is for discussing all eight Harry Potter films on Ultra HD Blu-ray, which have been, or will soon be, reviewed by Bryan Kluger. We'll update this post with each of the reviews as they become available. Years 4-7 are available NOW; we're still waiting on a specific street date for Years 1-4.

-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    -Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkabhan
    -Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire
    -Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    -Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Nice, although I really wish they weren't releasing them in reverse order. My son is about done with the books and is excited to watch the movies and I'd love to watch all of them with him in UHD but I don't know if he can wait until the first batch of movies release later this year.

gravis778 is offline Member

As badly as I want these, I am holding out for a sale. I have all the movies on Blu, and 7 and 8 in 3D, and I haven't upgraded to Atmos / DTS X yet

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadItAround View Post
    Nice, although I really wish they weren't releasing them in reverse order.
    I had read on Bill Hunt's site a comment about this. His explanation made great sense - he said that Warner has to do much less work to these films to prepare them for UHD. Newer films, newer techniques, improved picture quality, etc. Hell, the last 2 could have even been graded for HDR when they were produced.

I will have to resist temptation on my Best Buy trip later as I expect to see the last 4 movies there at $27ish each. I have a $20 RZ certificate, making me more susceptible. I might get Planet Earth II and wait a bit on these, likely for that inevitable 8-movie box set.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    I had read on Bill Hunt's site a comment about this. His explanation made great sense - he said that Warner has to do much less work to these films to prepare them for UHD. Newer films, newer techniques, improved picture quality, etc. Hell, the last 2 could have even been graded for HDR when they were produced.
    Makes sense, thanks.

I might, and I stress might, get a complete UHD set of the movies when they're all out. Only if they're the extended editions. I have all the movies on Steelbook, which means I lack the extra scenes the special editions have. I am not a huge fan of the Potter movies (I prefer the books), but it would still be nice to see them in UHD, with HDR. If I could get a complete set for around $120 CAN or less, then I'd probably go for it. It will be some time before this will happen, if it ever does.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100
    UHD Player: LG UP970

updated with Bryan's Order of the Phoenix review. Another definitive upgrade over the previous Blu-rays.

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/435...ahdbluray.html

Plissken99 is online now Member

I never did have more than 1-4 on HD DVD, glad I waited. Can't wait to pick these up on sale, probably around the end of the year.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

gravis778 is offline Member

The review here on 5 is making me itch to go pick it up. The first 5 always looked poor on Blu-Ray, being that they were early releases and never got new transfers. Phoenix would be a great disc to try out to decide if I am going to double (and in some cases triple or even quadrouple dip) buying these movies yet again.

And here are Bryan's thoughts on Year 6:

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/435...ahdbluray.html

Stay tuned for Years 1-4!

Vidfreek is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
    I might, and I stress might, get a complete UHD set of the movies when they're all out. Only if they're the extended editions. I have all the movies on Steelbook, which means I lack the extra scenes the special editions have. I am not a huge fan of the Potter movies (I prefer the books), but it would still be nice to see them in UHD, with HDR. If I could get a complete set for around $120 CAN or less, then I'd probably go for it. It will be some time before this will happen, if it ever does.
    Only the first two have extended editions but I'm betting they wont be releasing those versions, I could be wrong though. Those only came on the limited edition sets when they were re-released, every other version has the theatrical cut. I own the first two in those limited sets and the rest I didnt bother re-buying but the Atmos upgrade and way better picture (especially for the first few films) would be worth it to me, I love these movies

Glad I dont have any 4K stuff yet, I just have Atmos, which I still cant use much because everyone wants me to buy into UHD, well sorry folks, not until my current TV is dead will I be upgrading anything

Csm101 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
    Only the first two have extended editions but I'm betting they wont be releasing those versions, I could be wrong though. Those only came on the limited edition sets when they were re-released, every other version has the theatrical cut. I own the first two in those limited sets and the rest I didnt bother re-buying but the Atmos upgrade and way better picture (especially for the first few films) would be worth it to me, I love these movies
    Last year Target had an exclusive of the extended editions. The blurays have the artwork to match these uhd versions. I can't remember if they have all the extras that were in the big fancy box sets, but 1 & 2 do have the extended versions. They're on sale now at any retailer. I heard that the older versions were getting new masters. Has anyone else heard the same? That would definitely be most welcome.

Csm101 is offline Member

sorry about not properly quoting. I'm quite the amateur at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Csm101 View Post
    sorry about not properly quoting. I'm quite the amateur at this.
    fixed it for you; you accidentally deleted the last bit to make it work: "[/QUOTE]"

Cheers.

sid6581 is offline Member

Seen these Ultra HD Blu-rays on a nice native 4K Sony projector. Seriously underwhelming. I don't know what's up with these reviews on highdefdigest. Those upconverted releases shouldn't get such high marks, the upconversion done on regular blu-rays by the projectors or lcd displays themselves is just as good. You don't really see a difference in detail unless you very closely watch them side by side.

HDR is a fine upgrade but once again, only really appreciated side by side. I don't understand why this is getting such high marks compared to a real Ultra HD release like Lucy or Planet Earth II which look simply breathtaking. And that's what the video rating should reflect, the improvements over Blu-ray. And compared to the aforementioned releases which deserved their 5 star ratings the Harry Potter Ultra HD Blu-rays shouldn't get more than three stars or else that video rating doesn't mean a lot.

Everyone who saw Planet Earth II on my projector was blown away. Every one who saw Harry Potter didn't notice the improvements at all. Me as a videophile, I can appreciate the HDR improvements, but even those are merely nice and can't be compared to the best releases there are. I personally wouldn't recommend an upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast